PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Week Airfares

merlinmagic4
01-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi :mickey:

Just wondering if any of you have traveled to Disney during Thanksgiving week. We are tentatively planning on flying out Monday night and leaving the Sunday after T-Day. Is it possible to get any decent airfare that week? We usually go during our April school break, which is a challenge as far as airfare goes. Is Thanksgiving the same?

faline
01-17-2010, 03:41 PM
As I recall, last year, some airlines even added an additional fee for folks who traveled during heavily traveled holiday times. I would suspect that it might be challenging to find fares that you are willing to pay. Keep looking and, if you see something good, I'd suggest booking it.

WishingStar2006
01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I have found that the earlier you book the better...fares go up th closer you get to the holiday. Also, as far as Thanksgiving goes, if you can be flexible and leave on the Monday after Thanksgiving you can find better fares. I know that's hard when you have children in school..but it can make a huge difference. Good Luck!!!!

merlinmagic4
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks to you both! My husband is a teacher and he gets one comp day a year which he will take on the Tuesday before the holiday. He can't take 2 days so we have to come home Sunday. Although, I could look into leaving late Tuesday (after school) and using the comp day on Monday if that would get me a better fare. Something to look into - thanks!!

sndral
01-19-2010, 01:55 AM
We flew to WDW the Sun. after thanksgiving this yr(2009.) Tickets were almost double what I've paid @ other times. I searched daily, it was hard to find flights, it was crowded flying and it cost a lot more. Every flight I was on was overbooked and they were doing voluntary bumping - asking people to give up their seats for free future flights.

ThanxForNoticin
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Statistically, I think the Sunday after Thanksgiving is one of the 2 or 3 busiest travel days of the entire year. If you can find discounted airfare for that day, you should grab it. I don't think the airlines are concerned about filling their planes on that day. That being said, we've found the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to be just as bad, if not worse - it's just a very, very popular time for travel. Going that Tuesday will probably be better for you.

You can certainly make it happen for your trip, but you might want to consider grabbing a decent airfare early and not wait, expecting fares to go down. Hope you have a great trip!

dizneegirl71
01-19-2010, 03:13 PM
We also traveled to WDW the Sunday after T-Day last year (11-29-09). I booked our tickets for this trip in Feb. 09. The ticket were 270.00each with trip insurance. We flew on Delta out of Madison, WI. The same tickets were between 1000.00-1900.00 each in October/November. Moral of this story...Book as early as you can with a price you feel comfortable paying. Ticket prices will only increase during that time of year. Enjoy your trip! :mickey: