PDA

View Full Version : The good, the bad - the Divisonal round of the Playoffs

gueli
01-17-2010, 12:05 AM
You comments please on the Divisonal games.

Saints/Cards -

Saints - Wow. :eyes:Compleate game, in every aspect of their team. Offense- prolific passing, phenominal running- reggie bush when did you figure out how to finnish runs ? You add a dimension that we had always heard about- but today you showed it. Oppertunistic Defense- took advantage of a couple of cardinal mistakes. Special teams- again reggie bush, blowing away the field. WOW.

Cards- good try, but overwhelmed.

Colts/ ravens-

Ok I admit it. I knew the Colts could throw, I knew Addai could run. I knew about a defense that could pass rush. But where did that run defense come from ? :jaw: Solid, solid game from that Defense. Peyton Manning proves why he is the best QB - no I am not just talking about his passing skills- I am talking about how he took a sack- you know the one where that huge raven D lineman comes free and Peyton, just lays on down. No need to worry, Peyton will get it back next play (although on that drive they punted).
But my hats off to the Colts Defense, based upon everything this season- the ravens should have been able to run it.

Ravens- Ok you played good D. Your offense was one dimensional - mostly cut down by a solid colts run Defense. Unfortunatly against Peyton, if you go three & out your D will eventually break down. Good try, better luck next year.

Well folks, I will see you tommorow. Should be 2 more excellent games...
:beer:

droopy d.
01-17-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm a colts fan and they tend to be able to turn up the defense in the playoffs but the offense is generally a little slow to get started. This year the offense did enough to win and to shake the rust off next week will be the fun game to watch.

cajundisneyfreak
01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Just wanted to say that the Saints played an awesome game!!!!!! Who Dat Baby! 45-14

gueli
01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Upset city

Jets /Chargers

Jet D - Letting up only 2 TDs- kept chargers bottled up. Sanchez takes a while, but Jet O gets going enough- and thanks to defensive turnovers- Score 2 TD's & 1 FG.

Chargers- Their D was tough. Their offense struggled against the Jets D, their kicker had a horrible game.

Vikings/ cowboys

Viking D rules the day, Bret the former Jet, comes through with the big game.
Dalas - implodes against a non- divisional opponent.

Next weeks games are going to be spectacular !!!

J
E
T
S
JETSjetsjets :number1:

sportsguy2315
01-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Vikings

Good: Today was a team win for us; Brett being Brett, the defense keeping Romo on his heels at all times, and we hit the field goals :P

Bad: Dallas in general. I wonder if they checked out in the 2nd half.

Ugly: Keith Brooking calling Brett out about running up the score. Memo to Dallas; last I checked, the DEFENSE was supposed to prevent the offense running the score up.

Should be a very interesting set of games next weekend; however, I do leave you with a bit of trivia:
Sean Payton and Brad Childress share alma maters. Where did they graduate from?

gueli
01-18-2010, 12:47 AM
... I do leave you with a bit of trivia:
Sean Payton and Brad Childress share alma maters. Where did they graduate from?

college :D

Ian
01-18-2010, 07:32 AM
The Good: The Cowboys lost!!!! :D

The Bad: No Eagles left in the playoffs

The Ugly: Based on the way the Eagles played in the opening round and comparing them to all the other teams I've watched they have a loooooooooooooooooong way to go before they can compete again. :(

Pagan
01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Ugly: Keith Brooking calling Brett out about running up the score. Memo to Dallas; last I checked, the DEFENSE was supposed to prevent the offense running the score up.
While I agree with you that the defense is supposed to stop the other team, you have to admit that was pretty bush league of Favre and company. Up 27-3 that late in the game, kick the FG if you're going to do anything.

You know as well as I do if Dallas did that to Minnesota you'd call it rubbing it in their faces.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Good: J-E-T-S. Holy cow they are on a roll.

Bad: Bolts...typical Norv Turner playoff

Ugly: I really really hate Brett Favre and the Vikings. If he would have given the Packers half of these stats, we would have had at least one more Super Bowl. Brett "What is a second half third down conversion" Favre couldn't have hit a receive with a semi truck against the Broncos.

I will repeat my earlier feelings. Favre is a classless individual who pouts until he gets what he wants, then takes all of the credit for the end result.

You won't see him on any Oreo commercials :)

Ian
01-18-2010, 09:46 AM
While I agree with you that the defense is supposed to stop the other team, you have to admit that was pretty bush league of Favre and company. Up 27-3 that late in the game, kick the FG if you're going to do anything.

You know as well as I do if Dallas did that to Minnesota you'd call it rubbing it in their faces.Bollocks. This is the pros. As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as "running up the score." And almost every NFL player, coach, analyst, and media type agrees except for those on the team who had the score run up on them.

You're a big boy. You make millions. If you don't want to get humiliated, then stop the other team from scoring. Plus, it's the playoffs. You don't take your foot off the gas until the game ends.

I had no problem with it at all and wouldn't if it happened to the Eagles either.

Ugly[/B]: I really really hate Brett Favre and the Vikings. If he would have given the Packers half of these stats, we would have had at least one more Super Bowl. Brett "What is a second half third down conversion" Favre couldn't have hit a receive with a semi truck against the Broncos.I'm no Brett Favre fan ... I've been as outspoken in my criticism of him as you are ... but it does help that he actually has some talent around him in Minnesota.

He never had this complete a team in Green Bay and he certainly never had a back even half as good as Adrian Peterson behind him. A good back makes a QB so much better ... see also: John Elway.

Pagan
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Bollocks. This is the pros. As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as "running up the score." And almost every NFL player, coach, analyst, and media type agrees except for those on the team who had the score run up on them.

You're a big boy. You make millions. If you don't want to get humiliated, then stop the other team from scoring. Plus, it's the playoffs. You don't take your foot off the gas until the game ends.

I had no problem with it at all and wouldn't if it happened to the Eagles either
Interesting. Almost everyone agrees huh? That one year the Patriots were blowing people out every game they were accused by EVERYONE of running up the score and padding their stats.

I guess that's because it was evil Belichick and Brady, and not poster boy Favre.

Spare me bro. There was NO need to go end zone on that play.

Two minutes left in the game and up by 24, I really don't think that there was any cause for concern on the Vikings part.

That last TD was a rub in the face, no matter how you look at it. How many times have you seen teams in that same situation either take a knee, punt or try the FG?

It all comes down to class.

sportsguy2315
01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
college :D

Sure....another NFL connection is Mike Shanahan.

DAKustodial
01-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not a Brett Favre fan by any stretch of the imagination, but all he did to the Cowboys was exactly what the Cowboys did to the Eagles in the last two weeks. I didn't hear any Eagles players or coaches complaining and running to the sideline to pick a fight with anyone after the Cowboys scored their last points of the day.

The fact is, Keith Brooking's defense was embarassed by the Vikings yesterday and he furthered that embarassment by acting like a spoiled kid on the Vikings sideline. It's the NFL and it's not the regular season anymore...you either come to play on every single play or you go home. What team out there wouldn't want to stick it to the Cowboys with all of the chest-thumping they do after every win? Remember Jerry Jones high-fiving George W. Bush last week and handing out divisional championship hats the week before that?

Scar
01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Sure....another NFL connection is Mike Shanahan.... and Tony Romo.

Ian
01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Interesting. Almost everyone agrees huh? That one year the Patriots were blowing people out every game they were accused by EVERYONE of running up the score and padding their stats.

I guess that's because it was evil Belichick and Brady, and not poster boy Favre.

Spare me bro. There was NO need to go end zone on that play.

Two minutes left in the game and up by 24, I really don't think that there was any cause for concern on the Vikings part.

That last TD was a rub in the face, no matter how you look at it. How many times have you seen teams in that same situation either take a knee, punt or try the FG?

It all comes down to class.Bah. Class shmass. It's the NFL ... these guys all make millions of dollars and they're all big boys. Personally, I found Brooking's whining and complaining a lot more classless than the Vikes' final TD.

Not to mention the fact that the Cowboys are the biggest showboaters in the NFL. If they care so much about class and not hurting other people's feelings, maybe Marion Barber shouldn't hop up and down like a fool, making first down signs after every 3 yard run he has.

RE: Belichek and the Pats ... first off, that was totally different. He was doing that to every team he played ... even the doormats of the NFL. He'd score a TD with under 2 minutes left when he was beating the Rams by 40. Also, that was regular season, not post-season.

There's a huge difference between running up the score multiple times, scoring two or three extra TD's when the game has already been decided as opposed to scoring one insurance TD to make sure you put a team away in the playoffs.

indytraveler
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Late in with this...

Colts:

Good: Playoff win against a run first team. Defense shutting down the run. Giving up 3 points. Pierre Garcon as a D-back stripping Ed Reed of the ball'

Bad: Two ints on the SAME Drive! (Colts fg is the result) Peyton taking a delay of game penalty!? Not the gaudy offensive numbers of the regular season but this is the playoffs. You're not suppose to score 30+ pts on a "good defense" Just win baby.

Ugly: The Colts Run Offense. Did they actually run the ball or just fall down in the backfield. Too many plays for lost yardage.

The bottom line is that the Colts with their 2-1/2 week bye came out and did enough to win. Offensively play a decent game. Defense showed some ferocity and defensive ball hawking. Defense plays better when you make the other team one dimensional.

next up the Jets... This won't be a return of 12-27 so lets see how this will end.

indytraveler
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Jets!!

Congrats on the victory. We here in Colts country better be wary of what you wish for. This isn't the same team that came in here on Dec. 27th, but neither are the Colts. Watching them take the Chargers down in SD was a treat. Sure the Colts can beat the Chargers in September but haven't had any luck with them in late December or January the last few years. You guys did us a favor.

What we have to look forward to is a grind it out tough football game next week. I expect it to be a close game but ultimately the Colts will prevail.

By the way... Why are the Jets v. Colts the early game? Doesn't the NFL know that you play the JV game before the Varsity?

Ian
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I dunno about that J.V./varsity stuff ... I'll be shocked if the Super Bowl winner isn't from the NFC ...

gueli
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
is the answer ole miss ?

anyway- few comments-
- running up the score - is it brett favre's decision, or is it the offensive coordinator's/head coach's call ? Don't blame bret if he did not make the call...
There are 2 sides to this coin- You would hate it if it were against your team, and it is a defenses responsibility to not give up, no matter the score. On the flip side- This is the pros- and pagan you are right- the patriots did it, because they could. But did that catch up to them this year with welkers injury, and the patriots will play as hard as they can each and every game. Showboating ? yeah- the 'Boys are guilty of it too (was it 40-0 against the eagles ? did they really need those last 2 scores ?) Also dont the 'boys and vikings go back with some venom?

indy traveler- I agree that these are not the same teams. It should be interesting. I will be rooting for the Jets.

also I do not know that the NFC will take it this year- they do have 2 exceptional teams playing, but the final game - no matter who it is with, should be quite interesting.

Final note- on the three all pro QB's left & the rookie - "three men and a baby" - when I heard this I was LOL :D

Go Jets
:number1:

Ian
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Showboating ? yeah- the 'Boys are guilty of it too (was it 40-0 against the eagles ? did they really need those last 2 scores ?)Actually, no ... Dallas won the week 17 matchup 24-0, but their last TD came in the 3rd quarter. Ditto the playoff game ... they scored their last TD in the 3rd quarter and while they were already ahead 27-7 at that time I'm not going to kill them for scoring an insurance TD in the 3rd.

Also dont the 'boys and vikings go back with some venom?Oh yeah ... that Staubach to Drew Pearson "Hail Mary" that won the Cowboys the 1976 Divisional playoff game against the Vikings is a sore spot to this day.

In fact, I was talking to our CEO this morning and he's from Minnesota and is a HUGE Vikes fan. The first thing he said was, "That's payback for Drew Pearson's offensive pass interference on that Hail Mary back in '76!!!"

Not to mention that Brad Childress was a coordinator with the Eagles for 6 seasons and he certainly had plenty of time to develop a rock solid hatred of the Cowboys. In fact, some of it may have been payback on behalf of Andy Reid. ;)

gueli
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Actually, no ... Dallas won the week 17 matchup 24-0, but their last TD came in the 3rd quarter. Ditto the playoff game ...

Ok my bad, didn't look it up.
Thanks for explaing some of the bad blood between them. The childress - eagles connection also lends some insight.

Thanks Ian.
:mickey:

Go Jets...
Now I know many people out there think the colts will smash the Jets, and they might, but I will say this- the last time they played, in the 1st half the Jets let up 3 Field goals to a peyton manning led offense.
Now do I expect the jets to win...no, but that won't stop me from rooting for them, or wishing that they do win :pixie:

I also want to offer congrats to all the teams that are in the race- all of them are playing great football. All of the fans, alll of you guys & gals have made this season something fun.
Thanks

Gueli

Go Jets :number1:

Greenlawler
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Gueli its easy to be gracious when your team is winning. Anyways....now that the Ravens and the Cowboys are gone only the Colts remain in the NFL Trio of Evil. Hopefully

J E T S

crushes Peyton and his pony posse. Then I can actually enjoy the playoffs. Saints vs Jets, or Favre vs Jets I like both.

sportsguy2315
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
is the answer ole miss ?
Also dont the 'boys and vikings go back with some venom?

No, the answer is not Ole Miss. Nowhere even close and it's not even an FBS school. Also, you forgot about "The Trade" in which the Cowboys traded away Herschel Walker and the pick who would become Jake Reed for the picks that would become Emmit Smith and Darren Woodson. While Jake Reed was the steal of that trade for the Vikings being the #2 receiver for most of the 90s, it still pales in comparison to the contributions both Emmit and Darren made to the Cowboy dynasty of the 90's.

gueli
01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Gueli its easy to be gracious when your team is winning. Anyways....now that the Ravens and the Cowboys are gone only the Colts remain in the NFL Trio of Evil. Hopefully
J E T S
crushes Peyton and his pony posse. Then I can actually enjoy the playoffs. Saints vs Jets, or Favre vs Jets I like both.

It is easier being gracious when your team is winning. Just like it is easier to root for a team that is doing well.
The thing is not many people gave the Jets a chance at winning against cincy, let alone what their chances were against the chargers. I have consistantly rooted for the jets and made my preferences well known. Now they face the colts- and while the Jets can win this game, so can the Colts. Yet overall I am extremely happy with this season. Just from playoff experience alone, sanchez will be a better QB, and he has a lot of upside.
Also a lot of people are now saying the jets are a good team, playing great playoff football. That is not something that was being said before.
Thank you for your support- even if it is to get rid of the 'evil' empire & their Grand evil Sorcerer :D

But again- I think this weeks games are gonna be very entertaining.
Lets go JETS
:number1:

gueli
01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
No, the answer is not Ole Miss. Nowhere even close and it's not even an FBS school. Also, you forgot about "The Trade" in which the Cowboys traded away Herschel Walker and the pick who would become Jake Reed for the picks that would become Emmit Smith and Darren Woodson. While Jake Reed was the steal of that trade for the Vikings being the #2 receiver for most of the 90s, it still pales in comparison to the contributions both Emmit and Darren made to the Cowboy dynasty of the 90's.

Ahh I knew there was something else.

Is the answer found in the south ?

sportsguy2315
01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Not a southern school; the town's other claim to fame is known for its speed.

Rhetoric2000
01-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Since the best thing that happened to the Titans all year was a 59-0 pasting by the Patriots I just don't get this "running the score" nonsense. We deserved every one of those 59 points, and if Tom could have hurled a couple more, we'd have deserved those as well.

I can understand if:

a) These are youth teams with an obvious complete physical mismatch and the resulting potential for injury.
- But they aren't, they are professionals who are paid to play 60 minutes whether they win or lose.

or

b) Somebody is deliberately showboating or mocking in their style of play.
- But they weren't. They were continuing to play like professionals.

Sunderland lost 7-2 to Chelsea this week in the EPL and I haven't heard one Sunderland fan whine about how mean the nasty Chelsea players were by "running the score".

As for the games - rather disappointing in terms of contest, but the Vikes and Saints looked incredibly impressive.

Of course I now hope the Jets give the Colts a walloping, but not sure it's going to happen.

indytraveler
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I dunno about that J.V./varsity stuff ... I'll be shocked if the Super Bowl winner isn't from the NFC ...

Just having some fun. Actually the NFL is thanking its lucky stars right now for these 2 matchups. The story lines are all good.

Minnesota - Favre
Saints - turning around the Big Easy
Jets - NY based team
Indy - Peyton Manning on during game not just commercials

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Do the Jets and Saints even have a chance? These games could turn into flag football games with Manning and Favre wearing pink jerseys. I doubt very much that the refs (by order from the almighty), will let anybody get any where close to touching the good and evil poster boys of the NFL.

Big Off Season Question: Which NFC team will Favre decide to play for next season? Chicago or Detroit? Once OTA's are over, that is.

gueli
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Do the Jets and Saints even have a chance?
...Big Off Season Question: Which NFC team will Favre decide to play for next season? Chicago or Detroit? Once OTA's are over, that is.

Do the saints have a chance ? are you kidding- look at the vikings road record. Yes they are impressive at home, but away ?
The saints have many offensive weapons, their QB when under pressure throws compleations to a very good (if not great) recieving group. They have the ability to run, their special teams are great, their defense is solid & very oppertunistic. If Favre is under constant pressure will he be the one throwing incompleats & interceptions ?
By the way Vikings fans- I am not taking away anything from your team, You have a great offense, when they cant run it they can throw, your defense is solid, that front 4 is a tough match for any team, I am not exactly sure about your special teams, but the Vikings are a really good team.
Missy mouses dad - what makes you even think that this game will be a blowout ???
Both teams are great, both teams dominated their respective opponents, they are ranked 1 & 2 in the NFC. No offense to Dalas- but there was a lot of hype about the 'boys, but Romo has always had problems when under pressure- and seems to fall apart when it gets really tough. I did not fall into the hype (see my pick for this past week)- and the Vikings proved me correct. No the Hype is on the Vikings, and the poor old saints don't stand a chance against Favre's will- do not buy into it, good story line, but this should be a classic matchup...

Colts- Jets:
could this turn out like last weeks Ravens colts game ? Of course it could. But the Jets are a different team, same strengths, but different. Against the colt starters in week 16, the Jets allowed 9 ponts in the 1st half. Peyton manning without a TD? say it isn't so...But it was. If the Jets are trailing by 9 or less, they will keep pounding it, and in round 15 (aka the 4th quarter) they will score. It takes a while for the Jets to figure out how to do it on offense, but usually they get it done.

Now as to your comment about sacks - didn't Dalas sack Favre ? I know the ravens sacked Manning (which was an excellent play on mannings part- fall down don't take the big hit).
No the refs will keep it real.

I disagree with your statement- Next weeks games are gonna be great ...

PS - for those of you who might say that the 'real' superbowl is next week in the big easy, it is not. The superbowl will be played in february, and the AFC will represent.

Go Jets :number1:

Ian
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Since the best thing that happened to the Titans all year was a 59-0 pasting by the Patriots I just don't get this "running the score" nonsense. We deserved every one of those 59 points, and if Tom could have hurled a couple more, we'd have deserved those as well.Ha ha ha ... I totally agree. In fact, the NFL is really the only pro sport where "running up the score" is ever an issue.

In hockey, it doesn't matter if a team is up 8-1. If they can score a goal, they score! I mean yeah they might revert to a more defensive game plan, but when they're in the offensive zone it isn't like they just pass the puck around and don't shoot.

Scar
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I can understand if:

a) These are youth teams with an obvious complete physical mismatch and the resulting potential for injury.

In fact, the NFL is really the only pro sport where "running up the score" is ever an issue.This is interesting. A couple of years ago here in NJ, a huge deal was made about a high school girl going after, and achieving, the single game scoring record in basketball against an obviously inferior team. The coach was lambasted in the press and there were calls to fire him. Yet when Wilt C scored 100 in the pros, it was hailed as a great record.

In baseball the only negative thing I ever hear in a blowout is when someone steals a base, and usually thats from either team.