PDA

View Full Version : Chicago and Wisconsin Dells

tundramom
01-16-2010, 07:52 PM
We are planning a July driving trip to get us thru the wait for our Nov. WDW fix. Thinking of 2-3 days in Chicago and 3ish in Wisconsin Dells.
We've been to Chicago in the past, not that interested in shopping, we'll do Shedd, Museum of Science and Industry, and possibly Field Museum. Plan on staying @Best Western River N. (on Ohio St.). Would love dining recommendations and any other tips for Chicago that you have to offer. I definitely want some deep dish!
As for Wisconsin Dells, this is new for us! Leaning toward the Wilderness Lodge complex. Interested in going to Noah's Ark one day, zip lining, possibly House on the Rocks? Any input on food, attractions in the general area? Again, not into the shopping, kitschy/touristy stuff (although I'm sure there is plenty of that) all about the water parks, outdoor scenery, etc.
Thanks a million!

Touchdown
01-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Ive never stayed at the Wilderness, looks nice but I dont know if I could ever not stay at the Kalahari (when I want an indoor waterpark.) Im not sure how big your kids are but if they skew more towards the pre-teen/teen age range you might want to check them out, they have many more thrilling slides (including a water coaster) then any other indoor park.

Good choice on Noah's Ark, that park is the best outdoor park by far. Mt. Olympus just does not impress me, and their waterpark line up is severely lacking.

As for other attractions, I suggest going on the "Original Wisconsin Ducks" tour of the Dells (green ducks.) This is the first touring company that used these vehicles, and as such actually operate DUKWs from WWII (they used to all be originals but I assume that by now they have had to replace some of their fleet with replicas.) Its great, youll go up and down caynons to the river bed and experience the upper dells as well as float along Lake Delton.

If you are into mini golf, the Dells has some great complexes, my favorites are the 90 hole Pirates Cove and Timber Golf.

SallyMcQueen
01-16-2010, 10:21 PM
As far as dining recommendations in Chi-town, you can't go wrong with Lou Malnatti's Pizza. If you do a search for them, you'll get their website.

I've not stayed at the Wilderness, but a friend mine stays there every year with her family and just loves it. Kalahari is another good choice.

If you want a true Dells experience do a Duck tour or the Tommy Bartlett show. Both are getting back on there feet after Lake Delton drained about a year and half ago, it was refilled by the beginning of summer 2009.

If you like outdoors things to do Devils Lake Park is not too far away and is great for hiking and rock climbing and has a great lake. Another option is going to Madison, about 45 minutes from the Dells.

In Madison you can visit the Capitol building, the Saturday Farmer's Market on Capitol Square is amazing as well. Of course there are all the lakes in Madison. We are from the Madison area/South Central WI so if you want any further info please PM me; I'd be happy to help.

DVC2004
01-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Wilderness is excellent and only open to resort guests. It's very nice! We always stay there when we go to the Dells. PM me if you want any specifics. I can try to help.

poeticeclipse
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Chicago food... my favorite topic next to Chicago shopping. haha!

For good pizza i'd say Lou Malnatti's or Gino's East. I'm partial to Gino's myself. My husband likes Lou's best. For the best value in town, head north to Wrigleyville and go to Lucky's Sandwich Company. It was featured on the show Man v. Food. All sandwiches are only $7 and they are big enough to feed two people. For a "upscale casual" dining experience I definitely recommend Joe's Steak and Seafood (or whatever the official name is). It's my favorite restaurant outside of WDW. If you like french food go to La Sardine right across from Oprah's studio. Very yummy food and if you go during lunch time they have a price fixed option.

If you have young girls you should take them to the American Girl store right off of Michigan Ave. It's really a cool place to see even if you're not going to buy anything. Boys would probably like Nike Town or the Lego store.

StitchFan#1
01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
I have stayed at the Wilderness and we liked it other than our smokey smelling room! It was huge with like 4 waterparks and like 3 resturaunts. Ok take my advice if you dont like the kitschy stuff then House on the Rock will not be the best choice! I absolutly hated it it was extremely old and kinda creepy but I would only do tour 1 and 2 the tour 3 is super creepy! Noahs Ark was great I love Noahs It has lots of super fun slides. I would also reccomend Cave of the Mounds! It was gorgous!!! The cave was kinda cold so bring a sweatshirt! Have fun!

DVC2004
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I have stayed at the Wilderness and we liked it other than our smokey smelling room! It was huge with like 4 waterparks and like 3 resturaunts. Ok take my advice if you dont like the kitschy stuff then House on the Rock will not be the best choice! I absolutly hated it it was extremely old and kinda creepy but I would only do tour 1 and 2 the tour 3 is super creepy! Noahs Ark was great I love Noahs It has lots of super fun slides. I would also reccomend Cave of the Mounds! It was gorgous!!! The cave was kinda cold so bring a sweatshirt! Have fun!

I agree- forgot to mention about House on the Rock. It is creepy and odd, and filled with a bunch of old, wierd stuff. I dunno, not my cup of tea. Haven't been there in over ten years but I can't imagine it's changed much!

tundramom
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! Definitely want to go to Lou's, we'll also be close to Pizzaria Uno and Due, I told my DH that we'll being eating a lot of Italian! We hardly ever eat pizza at home, but will be making an execption while in Chicago! I'll have to see how close we are to Lucky's, my DH loves Man vs. Food, he'd get a kick out of eating in the same place.I really appreciate the comments on House on the Rocks, I'll scratch that off. I'll do some research on Cave of the Mounds, I'm always up for caves! Thanks to all!

caryrae
02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
My wife and I like the House on The Rock we though it was really neat, weird but neat we've been twice and would go again. They have been changing some areas in Phases. It is about 55 miles from Wisconsin Dells area.

We also just went to Kalahari Resort last weekend with our 2 nieces and it was a blast but can be expensive. They have a nice bakery by the entrance that had some awesome looking desserts. There are a few places to eat and shop. It was nice not ever having to go outside in the cold to go anywhere (food, water park, theme park ect). The water park was included with the price of staying at the Resort. We stayed from Friday to Sunday morning and spent almost $1000 half of that was for the room but we did spoil the kids since they (my SIL, BIL from Egypt, and their 3 kids:() will soon be moving to Egypt for a couple years.