PDA

View Full Version : The worst meal I've ever had in Disney

DunkieKong
01-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Let me clarify that by saying, this is the worst table service meal we've ever eaten in Disney World. I also want you to know, I almost never complain about meals, and am usually always satisfied. That being said:

Dinner at The Wave.

This was our first time eating at The Wave, and we were very excited about trying this new place. Our service was decent, not excellent, but not really any complaints, other than the hostess seating us in the farthest corner of the restaurant next to a busy service door and under an extremely bright light. But service aside, my real complaint was the food. I ordered the braised lamb shank and my wife had the filet. The lamb was very dry, and bland. It had no taste what-so-ever. It was served with bulger wheat and lentil stew and red wine sauce. If there was any red wine sauce served with the dish, it must have been absorbed by the wheat and lentil mess that was on my plate. My wife orded the filet, which was cooked to her liking, but extremely small portion. Thankfully we were on the dining plan, because if I paid 29 dollars for a steak that couldnt have been more than 5 ounces, I would have been very upset. Her meal came with a white bean mash, which was good, and what was suppossed to be "local teardrop tomatoes". The "tomatoes" were actually some sort of boiled green vegetable (our best guess was asparagus) that was shredded and molded into a mound with two boiled tomatoes hidden inside. Needless to say, things were not going well. We had hoped that dessert would make up for the rest of the meal. It did not. I ordered a dessert called the Crispy and Crunchy. It consisted of vanilla braised pineapple spears, an almond pineapple raisin "baklava", and a zuchini carrot cake with vanilla pana cotta. The pineapple was okay, but just tasted like warm pineapple. The zuchini carrot cake was sitting in some sort of oil, very unappetizing, and the vanilla panna cotta was almost non existent. It was smaller than the size of a dime, and used to hold some sort of crunchy thing on top. Then came the "baklava". I use quotes because that is how it was written on the menu. It tasted nothing like any baklava I've ever had in my life. It was not sweet at all. I asked my wife to taste it, and she thought it tasted like they used old oil to make the dough. Not a good end to a bad meal.

Before you go and think it was all bad, there were a few brightspots: Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The bread and butter topped with hawaiian red salt was delicious. My wife's sorbet dessert for the most part was excellent. And the overall atmosphere in the restaurant is very nice.

All in all, I can not reccomend this restaurant based on our visit. I'd love to hear reviews from anyone else that has eaten there. I can't imagine they would all be bad.

mouseketeer mom
01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
The Wave was our very worst table service meal at Disney ever as well. This is the one and only table service meal that we would NOT go back to.
Toy Story Pizza Planet was by far the worst counter service meal we have had.

Polynesian Dweller
01-16-2010, 03:14 PM
The quality may well have not been good and I have not heard great things about the Wave. But, a couple if things need to be said in fairness to the restaurant.

First, the size of filet and cost you indicate are reasonable. A filet is only about 2-3 inches in diameter by 1-2 inches thick and should be closer to one. It is not a large portion. As well, the cost is not based on size but on the rarity of the cut. At mist a steer produces only a miniscule 4-5 pounds of it. The muscle is only a few inches long and about 2-3 inches across. So yes it us expensive and tyically one pays over $25 for the size above. Never order it if you are looking for a typical size steak, you won't get it.

On the tomatoes, if they are actually teardrop then they are a small tomato, roughly like a cherry or grape tomato size but tear drop shaped. They can be yellow or red. They are often used as a side dish for meat as in this case but they will definitely not give that big beef tomato appearance or taste. What you describe is not unusual, use a green vegetable to build a nest and put a couple of tomatoes as eggs in nest is actually a classic technique.

TiggerCat
01-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Here's a dumb question - where is the Wave? I thought I knew all of the restuarants but I'm not familiar with this one.

TC.

SBETigg
01-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Here's a dumb question - where is the Wave? I thought I knew all of the restuarants but I'm not familiar with this one.

TC.

It replaced the Concourse Steakhouse at the Contemporary.

big blue and hairy
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Although you will not find it at the former location of the Concourse Steakhouse. It occupies the former location of the Food and Fun Center.

:sulley:

katzctkpt
01-16-2010, 10:07 PM

..seems like a big waste to get rid of the Concourse to add the Wave...just not a good replacement !!!:mickey:

PetefromRI
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
That's why I very rarely order a Filet anywhere.Just not enough bang for my buck although it is a very good cut,My appetite is always calling for a 16 oz. T-Bone!

Tinkermom
01-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I am sorry that you did not enjoy The Wave. DH and I ate at The Wave in October and enjoyed our meal very much. I think some places really do have "off nights". Although I totally understand being so turned off that you would not want to go back. This was our experience with 1900 Park Fare at dinner.:sick:

Here is a review of The Wave that I gave when we got back:

I loved the butter that was served with the whole grain bread. They sprinkle smoked sea salt on top of the butter - it was so good!

We got the shared appetizer - seared tuna and chicken filled summer rolls and it was so fresh and yummy!

For dinner DH got the lamb shank which he said was awesome and fall off the bone tender. (I tasted some and agreed!) I got the linguini with little neck clams and shrimp in a chunky tomato broth. Again, it was wonderful! The tomato broth was so fresh tasting as well.

Desserts are kinda cool. You get 3 small ramikins filled with your choice of dessert. There are 5 different choices including a sugar-free option. I got the "Decadent Flavors" which was blueberry compote with yogurt gelato, lemon cornbread with vanilla panna cotta and chocolate mousse with salted caramel (YUM!). I really liked getting a taste of 3 different things.

Overall, we really enjoyed our meal at The Wave and would definitely visit again!

TiggerCat
01-17-2010, 06:35 PM

I hadn't eaten at the Concourse for quite awhile but I recall that it was pretty good. That's too bad.

TC.

TiggerCat
01-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Although you will not find it at the former location of the Concourse Steakhouse. It occupies the former location of the Food and Fun Center.

:sulley:

Did they move the Food n' Fun Centre or did it join the list of "no mores"?

TC.

tpalmer1031
01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Lunch at Coral Reef--June 2007 is the only bad meal I have ever experienced at Disney.

Emme&TeddysMommy
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Chefs de France in sept 2009. My filet was burnt so bad that it smelled like some thing at the table had just been extinguished. I mentioned it to my server and he gave me another one. The second was even worse than the first. I like steak and perfer not to eat charred steak. Oh well maybe next time.

mom2morgan
01-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Hmm..I pretty routinely order Filet - and usually get a 8 oz portion for under 20 dollars. to me the portion/price this poster mentions does seem awfully steep.

laprana
01-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Did they move the Food n' Fun Centre or did it join the list of "no mores"?

TC.

The Food 'n Fun Center is no more...it was replaced by the Contempo Cafe, which is located where the Concourse Steakhouse was, next to Chef Mickeys. They did a lot of swapping around!

SurferStitch
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
DH and I dined at The Wave in October of 2008, and it was by far one of the worst (if not THE worst) meal we've ever had anywhere, WDW or elsewhere.

We must have gotten the exact same table as the OP. I got so sick of my hair blowing around as servers whooshed past us the entire time. The place was only about 1/3 full at the most, too.

Our food was terribly bland, poorly cooked and just downright BAD. Worst crab cake I've ever had. My fish (main course) was also pretty bad. Our server was also totally inattentive and slow.

We didn't even waste money on dessert (we use the TiW card). We went back to our lounge in Sugarloaf (GF) and had amazing desserts there. Our concierge felt so bad for us that he comped the meal because we put it on our room charge. We didn't complain at all...he just asked if we liked our meal, and we explained that we didn't, but no biggie, because every place is worth a try.

TiggerCat
01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
The Food 'n Fun Center is no more...it was replaced by the Contempo Cafe, which is located where the Concourse Steakhouse was, next to Chef Mickeys. They did a lot of swapping around!

That's discouraging. Oh well, maybe the Contempo Café will be just as good. :)

TC.

laprana
01-18-2010, 02:09 PM
That's discouraging. Oh well, maybe the Contempo Café will be just as good. :)

TC.

It's excellent! Been there twice and it was great both times. They have a good variety of food, and more than just burgers and fries.

I'm really worried hearing all these bad reviews about the Wave, though! We'll be eating there for the first time this May, and hopefully we'll have a better experience there than others have had! I'm always willing to try any restaurant once, and if it's no good we just won't go back.

pox24
01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Ditto...
A close second was the buffet at the Garden Grove at the Swan Hotel.
Finishing third was Mama Melrose.. if my mama cooked liked that dad would have thrown her out of the house!

scootch713
01-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Crystal palace dinner. The food was just ok, the place was freezing. We asked for another table and did not get one... they said they turned up the heat.. no way. We ate in our coats. It was warmer outside than in. Characters were in a hurry, terrible meal and we were not on the dining plan.

TiggerCat
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Sorry to have hijacked your thread DunkieKong. I'm regret that you had a bad experience and I hope that things improve as they mature as an establishment. Has anyone else eaten there?

TC.

Pirate Granny
01-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Never ate at the Wave...didn't much care for the menu...now the CP...we had a horrible meal and then last May we tried again (granddaughter needed to meet the characters) and I was pleasantly surprized...so...I would eat at the WAVE again, 'cause everything deserves a second chance. We ate at the California Grill; three times...first two were wonderful...the last one, well, lets just say we both were sick that night and most of the next morning...so, you just never can tell.
:pirate:

lightyearfan
01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
the worst meal that me and dw had at WDW was without a doubt Mama Melrose, this was nothing short of disgusting. im italian, so i know what to expect at italian resturants, anyway we were excited because we had gotten the fantasmic dinner package and we always enjoyed the lovely aroma comimg from this ts resturant. our aps were ok nothing great just ok, then the main course came out and i had ordered a pasta dish as did my dw, and it was completely unedible. it was like eating garlic balls it had sooooooooo much garlic in it that just from the few bites we took our breath smelled for days:ack:, it was gross, the garlic actually over took everything else on the plate, it was really really bad, so much so that it made our dessert bad as well because our tongues were laced with garlic that wouldn't leave our body. now i know that some people love garlic, and we're not those people, garlic is ok to a point but to have explode the entire meal was a real shame. since this happened we haven't gone back and probably wont. honarable mention goes to Tony's Town Square, 2 times there for dinner and both times we were very disappointed , but i wont bore you with that.

Victor

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Worst Table Service:
Tie between Tony's and marrakesh

Worst CS:
ABC Commissary

Through the looking Glass
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Believe it or not the worst meal we ever had was at O'hanas. We were very excited to eat there on reviews from INTERCOT. Well, I guess we went on an off night. The meat was way over cooked, even after asking for 'fresher' meat it still wasn't appetizing. Everthing else was sub-par. I think the highlight was the bread pudding. Someday we will go back and try again.

betteratmk
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I am sorry that you did not enjoy The Wave. DH and I ate at The Wave in October and enjoyed our meal very much. I think some places really do have "off nights". Although I totally understand being so turned off that you would not want to go back. This was our experience with 1900 Park Fare at dinner.:sick:

Here is a review of The Wave that I gave when we got back:

I loved the butter that was served with the whole grain bread. They sprinkle smoked sea salt on top of the butter - it was so good!

We got the shared appetizer - seared tuna and chicken filled summer rolls and it was so fresh and yummy!

For dinner DH got the lamb shank which he said was awesome and fall off the bone tender. (I tasted some and agreed!) I got the linguini with little neck clams and shrimp in a chunky tomato broth. Again, it was wonderful! The tomato broth was so fresh tasting as well.

Desserts are kinda cool. You get 3 small ramikins filled with your choice of dessert. There are 5 different choices including a sugar-free option. I got the "Decadent Flavors" which was blueberry compote with yogurt gelato, lemon cornbread with vanilla panna cotta and chocolate mousse with salted caramel (YUM!). I really liked getting a taste of 3 different things.

Overall, we really enjoyed our meal at The Wave and would definitely visit again!

We had the same experience in September, our meal was wonderful, DH had salmon, Ds had the chicken pot pie and I had the filet. We each ordered different desserts and shared, although not the crispy cruncht one! We also had a terrible meal at 1900 Park Fare and would not go back.:sick:

lighteningqueen
01-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Boma will NEVER try again gave it 2 trys its the worst flavored food ever

Ohana's gave this 3 trys and never ever again...

BEST Teppon Edo

DunkieKong
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
We must have gotten the exact same table as the OP. I got so sick of my hair blowing around as servers whooshed past us the entire time. The place was only about 1/3 full at the most, too.

The restaurant wasn't even half full when we got stuck at the table too. I just didn't understand why, if there were plenty of open tables, they would seat us in the only bad seat in the house.

DVC2004
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
We haven't tried the Wave yet. I have heard very mixed reviews...have been wary of trying it because of those.

Worst meal for us hands down is Sci Fi at HS. Yuck. I wanted so badly to like it because the theme is cool. But the food was yucky.:sick: I don't remember if I had a burger or a chicken sandwich, but it came out lukewarm and slathered in way too much barbecue sauce. There was a slice of cheese half melted and rubbery. Ugh. I know we tried it a second time, hoping the first was just bad luck, but it was just as bad. I wish they would improve that place.

MickeyMousse
01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Our worst meal was many years ago at Nine Dragons in Epcot. Chunks of fried fatty sesame chicken...:sick:
Haven't been back since, even though they've redone the place, we're not taking any chances.

Granny Jill A
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Worst meal for us hands down is Sci Fi at HS. Yuck. I wanted so badly to like it because the theme is cool. But the food was yucky.:sick: I wish they would improve that place.

I've tried Sci Fi for lunch, dinner, and just snacks. All three times were awful. The snack was supposed to be ice cream, which we were told they do very well. I think my local Dairy Queen did a better job at half the price.

We tried to order hamburgers one evening and were told they didn't serve them for dinner. I was more than a little shocked that a "Drive-in" would not have hamburgers. They did have red wine on the menu. Not suitable for the grandkids.

Service was AWFUL. We ordered a birthday cake the week before we came down. When they finally brought it out, the cake had flowers on it and was half-frozen (this was for a 7-year-old boy!!)

Won't waste my time on them anymore.

2 princes and a princess
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Our worst meal ever was at Mama Melrose's. Everything about it was AWFUL...the wait, the service, the food. We will never eat there again. The best part of the meal was the coke.

poeticeclipse
01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
While I've never been crazy about Sci-Fi and only go there for my husband's sake... it's not the worst technical meal i've had at WDW.

Mama Melrose takes the cake on the worst. Our second trip ever to Mama Melrose (what is it with my husband liking bad restaurants?) wasn't as good as the first. While my husband had nothing to complain about, I was harder to please that day apparently. First off, they lost our reservation so they had to reschedule us for a different time. When we got back to the restaurant the bathroom had flooded and water was spilling out into the waiting area. The service all night was lacking. Our server seemed overly busy and not attentive.

My husband liked his food. Me, not so much. I got a caeser salad that was sadly was the best thing I ate that night. Then, I got the flatbread that was supposed to have pepperoni on it (or something like that) but I just got it without the meat. The pizza was gross. The whole entree just seemed off and I don't think meat would have made it taste any better. I tried getting tiramisu to end my meal well but that just seemed like something they got from the Schwann's man. Fairly tasteless.

I really don't plan on going back anytime soon.

DizneyRox
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
It's a toss up between the Yachtsman Steakhouse (had to extend the trip a day due to getting sick) or Coral Reef.

Third on the list would be Hollywood and Vine for Dinner.

Three of many places we won't be going back to.

Ed
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
DW and I had a late lunch at The Wave early last year and honestly we enjoyed it very much. Our server was great, food was served promptly, portions were good, food temps were just right, and the entire meal was very tasty.

I'm curious ~~ have any of you who had a bad experience there ever asked to speak to the manager to voice your displeasure? We did so at Sanaa (sp?) in Kidani Village after having terrible service (but the food was good) and the manager listened intently, then "comped" our beverages and desserts.

DizneyRox
01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
When I recovered enough to talk to someone about the Yachtsman, they told me that nobody else reported being sick... Thank you for your call...

SurferStitch
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm curious ~~ have any of you who had a bad experience there ever asked to speak to the manager to voice your displeasure? We did so at Sanaa (sp?) in Kidani Village after having terrible service (but the food was good) and the manager listened intently, then "comped" our beverages and desserts.

No, we didn't. We probably should have, but the GF concierge comped our entire meal, tip and all, because we used our room charge. Like I said, we didn't complain to him at all. We just had a casual conversation with him that even while we had some wine and desserts in the lounge when we asked where we dined that night. He asked how we liked it, and that's when we told him we were terribly disappointed. Told him why, and said that we just considered it a lesson learned, and not to return (hey, bad meals happen).

That's when we disappeared for a minute, then returned to tell us to forget the meal, it was just a bad memory....even the tip. :thumbsup:

We've just never had such boring and bland food in our lives. Low quality crab cakes, tasteless filet and fish, and poor service. I am glad there are those who had good experiences, but it's really all relative.

azcavalier
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I find this thread interesting...some of you have had truly bad service/meals, but others just say that such and such restaurant is nasty, and is most likely because it's a different kind of food. For example, I don't really like Marrakesh, but it's not because it had bad service or the food was seasoned wrong, etc, etc. It's because I don't like that kind of food. So I don't go there. I don't like German food, so I don't want to go the Biergarten. (We actually went the first time we went to WDW. We didn't know about ADRs, and that was the only place we could get in without a long wait. That should have cued us right there what dinner would be like.)

We have had nothing but great meals at many of the places talked about on this thread, such as the Coral Reef, Hollywood and Vine, O'Hana, etc. I have never tried the Wave, however, and it sounds like it was truly awful.

The only bad meals i've ever had at WDW was the one and only time we've been to the Garden Grill. And it's been so long now, that I don't remember exactly what was bad about it. We will be trying it again this December, though.

I wasn't too thrilled with the jambalaya that I got from Boatwright's this last trip, but what there was wasn't awful. It just wasn't what I expected (and wasn't classic jambalaya). Everyone else in my party had a nice meal, though.

rubato
01-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Yes, at Whispering Canyon, we had the worst waiter ever. We couldn't leave because he never returned with our room card and bill. I went up, got the manager, asked her to find it because we needed to leave. I had been nice and left him a 15% tip( a lot less than I usually leave). She took it off my bill after I explained that he was too busy with his other tables to even pay attention to us during our meal. I was in tears because I had been looking forward to this meal with all the interaction and it was so disappointing and I was frustrated. The meal was 2 1/2 hours because our waiter couldn't be bothered to get us drinks for 15 minutes and it took forever for him to ever be found for food or a refill.

TinkerbelleRoo
01-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I think the worst meal I've had at WDW was at the Italy Pavillion circa May 2001. The worst Italian food I've ever tasted. Having grown up and living in the suburbs of NYC I can safely claim that.

I don't know who owned and ran it at that point or if its gotten better since but the dinner was followed by a trip to the Oddessy bathrooms during Illuminations after :ack: :ill:

Never had that particular experience before or since in my 20+ trips since childhood. I just steer clear of the entire pavillion since it brings up bad memories and the mere smell just turns my stomach.

JoDisney
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Mama Melrose's :nono:

cinderella crazy
01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
The worst dining experience we had, had nothing to do with food or service. On our last trip, our DS came down with a stomach bug. It didnt last long and our trip continued without any major snags. Then, about halfway through our stay, we went to Biergarten for dinner. Our DD wasn't acting interested in eating food. You can guess what happened. DD got sick. I felt so bad for the people sitting at the table with us. Of course I immediatley left with her (which meant that I didn't get to eat hardly any dinner). But DH went out later and got me some goodies. But that was by far the worst and gross experience we've ever had.

SandmanGStefani24
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
kinda surprised to see SciFi here so many times. We actually loved eating there but I will probably guess it has something to do with what you choose to eat and what you are expecting. We were thinking it was gonna be a kookie/kitschy type place to eat, nothing gormet. We ordered appetizers and dessert and had an excellent time for a reasonable price. The food we had was excellent, too. Expectations can sometimes cause the palate to taste things differently in my experience. :twocents:

MegaDisney
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
I have two, thank goodness they were on seperate trips:

1997: The Coral Reef at Epcot. the food was blah and overpriced and the service was non-existant. May have gotten better, but we have never been back.

2000: The Luau at The Polynesian. I was vegetarian at the time and my meal consisted of brown rice with a sliced block of cold tofu topped with a thick sickly sweet sauce. UGH! I ended up ordering Mac & Cheese off the childrens menu!

prttynpnk
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Most of my bad dining experiences have been my own fault-bad ordering, etc. The 1 time that I will blame the staff was Kouzzinas- the waiter just didn't bring us what we asked for- we had to have a side dish removed from the bill- it never arrived and he never told us about the specials, so we have plate envy with other tables. We did see alot of our server- the prep area was so close to our table, but we never really got his attention!
My only 'won't try again' is 9 Dragons- I felt like they remodelled to squeeze 25 more people into a crowded room- we sat so close to the next table that we debated splitting an app with them.

PittFan
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Believe it or not the worst meal we ever had was at O'hanas. We were very excited to eat there on reviews from INTERCOT. Well, I guess we went on an off night. The meat was way over cooked, even after asking for 'fresher' meat it still wasn't appetizing. Everthing else was sub-par. I think the highlight was the bread pudding. Someday we will go back and try again.

:ditto: We ate there in October of '09 and were very disappointed. The meat was way overcooked and service was sloooooooow.

LudwigVonDrake
02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
My least favorite Disney meal was at The Crystal Palace. The food was very disappointing.

dtootsie42
02-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that the Wave was so terrible. It's sad because it seems like so many liked the Concourse Steak house...I never got to eat at the steak house but my husband ate there whenever he was there on business and always had a good meal.

dtootsie42
02-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I do have to say on our last trip which was in December of 09 we had some terrific meals and terrific service. The one place we did go was to Cape Mays and I was greatly disappointed. For me it did not live up to all the hype that I had heard about the place. On the other hand it was one of my daughters favorite place to eat...she got all the crab she wanted and left as one happy camper.

WelshieLover
02-02-2010, 05:25 PM
It is a relative to everyones tastes I guess. We like Marrakesh and Boma. I think my worst table service meal this trip was Liberty Tree Tavern it was bland and the meat was dry and not very warm. We went because of the characters so I knew...

TheRustyScupper
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
The Worst Meal I had at WDW . . .

1) The wife does not do "upside down" roller coasters.
2) I told her RnRC was different since it was a "dark ride".
3) She rode it with me.
4) She hated it and was queasy all day.
5) I had to eat a lot of Crow.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Our bottom three are all at DHS. We've learned our lesson and just don't eat anywhere in the Studios anymore:

1. Sci-Fi. The only good part was the junior mint sundae at the end ... maybe I was just glad that the meal was over.

2. Mama Melrose. Just icky, the food was so bland, the service was lousy.

3. Hollywood & Vine. So loud, lousy service and only so-so food.

But, there are still so many great places at Disney that we never have a problem finding somewhere to eat :eat:

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Wolfgang Pucks ...They were the worst chinese ribs i have ever had in my life . The sauce was just thrown on and halfcooked :ack:

luckily i have never had a bad meal at the parks so far :thumbsup:

DVCDisneyMom
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Without a doubt......Mama Melrose's.....YUCK!

mom2morgan
02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I've noticed that my impression of meals is often influenced by the day itself. I had my "worst" meal at Trails End - it was the end of a long day, my feet hurt, my kids were arguing, and I was frantic about missing our reservation because the boats were so backed up (due to Hoop-Dee-Doo) that we were over an hour late. I didn't care for the atmosphere or food, but we got enough to fill us up and it was decent. On the other hand, my favourite ever meal was O'hana's but it was the end of an absolutely fantastic day and we were all in that "happy-exhausted" sort of frame of mind and enjoying each other's company. It is REALLY hard to be sure if it is really JUST the food and service I'm judging. I wonder if others find the same thing?

Djscherr
02-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe I wear my rose colored classes all around Disney, but I haven't really run into a bad meal. I mean counter service isn't usually anything special, but sit down I've always been happy.

My only visit to Mama Melrose was in January of this year, I had the mushroom cheese ravioli and loved it. Had plenty of taste and was a good portion. My only complaint as that two or three pieces were just slightly undercooked at one edge so they were a bit gummy. The rest of it was delicious I thought.

Ian
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
The worst TS meal I've ever had was hands down dinner at Ohana. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out what people see in that joint. It was some of the worst food I've ever had period ... and not just in WDW. I've gotten better meals at the local I-Hop. :ack:

CS is so bad at so many places these days that it's hard to narrow down what the worst is, but I think Pizza Planet would probably make my list. That is some of the worst pizza I've ever had. Greasy, soggy crust, tasteless sauce ... just horrid.

Sci-Fi ... we used to love that place, but we ate there a couple days ago and it was just terrible. I got a milkshake that was nothing more than soft serve ice cream melting in a glass. My burger was mediocre, but the roll was stale and the fries were bad too.

I'll tell you, though, if you're looking for decent CS I like some of the places in World Showcase. I think the place in Japan has decent food as does the China pavilion. I mean it's nothing to write home about, but for CS it definitely beats the burgers and chicken sandwiches the other places serve.

A hidden gem of sit downs, to me, is the Plaza in MK. I've had some of my best meals on Disney property there. They have great shakes and I love their chicken sandwiches!

BigThunderFan
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
the worst meal that me and dw had at WDW was without a doubt Mama Melrose, this was nothing short of disgusting. im italian, so i know what to expect at italian resturants, anyway we were excited because we had gotten the fantasmic dinner package and we always enjoyed the lovely aroma comimg from this ts resturant. our aps were ok nothing great just ok, then the main course came out and i had ordered a pasta dish as did my dw, and it was completely unedible. it was like eating garlic balls it had sooooooooo much garlic in it that just from the few bites we took our breath smelled for days:ack:, it was gross, the garlic actually over took everything else on the plate, it was really really bad, so much so that it made our dessert bad as well because our tongues were laced with garlic that wouldn't leave our body. now i know that some people love garlic, and we're not those people, garlic is ok to a point but to have explode the entire meal was a real shame.
Victor

At least you weren't bothered by any vampires on your trip :)

Our worst meal has to be at Boma (2X) which is unfortunate since I really like the place. My DW did not like it at all either time we went here, and I was very happy she let us even go back the second time. But like others have mentioned, this is more a matter of taste. I personally loved the food, she did not.

But what truly made it a bad experience was our service the second time. Really it was a lack there of for that matter. Our server may as well have been non-existant. I almost tipped the waiter from the next table instead because he bussed all of our dirty dishes rather than our waiter. My drink was empty for 45 minutes. I had to finally flag down the guy so I could pay and he looked shocked like, "oh I forgot about you". It was truly hard for me to not tip at all since I used to wait tables in HS and college, so I ended up leaving a few dollars ($6). But it was much more than I should have!

ElenitaB
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Worst meal at a TS: Big River Grille. Poor service and food that made me sick. The only saving grace was that we ate there the night before a 2-1/2 day "lockdown" for a hurricane, so we were in the room anyway. Second worst meal at a TS: Brown Derby (right after said hurricane) — service with an attitude (even when giving them the doubt thinking they may have had a rough time with the hurricane) and food that was in the fridge a few days too many.

Worst CS: DHS' ABC Commissary and Epcot's Lotus Blossom in China (gave the latter two tries and it made both me and DS sick twice)

ShanPooh
02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Our bottom three are all at DHS. We've learned our lesson and just don't eat anywhere in the Studios anymore:

1. Sci-Fi. The only good part was the junior mint sundae at the end ... maybe I was just glad that the meal was over.

2. Mama Melrose. Just icky, the food was so bland, the service was lousy.

3. Hollywood & Vine. So loud, lousy service and only so-so food.

But, there are still so many great places at Disney that we never have a problem finding somewhere to eat :eat:

I think Disney Studios really has to work on their food! (and add a couple more attractions/rides, but that's another post ;) )

EpcotChic23
02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Mine was the Crystal Plaza back in 97'. I actually ate glass that was in my cake. We of course told the cast members and they took my meal of the bill and explained they get their cakes from an outside company. I am actually going back for the first time this June here is to no glass in my food.

crltkcagle
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
San Angel Inn!! We had dinner reservations there and I actually got food poisioing before the meal was even finished. I had to sit outside the restaurant while my family explored epcot without me. I did meet some nice gals there who talked to me for a while. But I will never ever eat there again!:sick: