PDA

View Full Version : January 8-16

GoBlueLacheta
01-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I have not been to the world close to this time since 1997 when I went relatively the same week and was with a large group of family and we stayed at Dixie Landings. It's hard to imagine not having fun while spending a week at Walt Disney World with those closest to you, but while still fun it was by far the worst experience I have had there. I was shocked at the amount of rude people around at this time of year as well as the crowds. We had two light days which was Wednesday at MK and the half marathon day when it was 35 outside last Saturday and it was fairly empty which was nice, but other than that it was surprisingly busy.

Disney World also apparently had been clueless to the amount of people that were going to be around the world that week. They had mono-rail issues, rides were operating well-below capactiy, and lack of staffing across the board. Ohana caught on fire...again. This is the second time that this has happened in an 8 month span to my ADR, but the worst experience ever was at Hollywood and Vine. The lack of service, the extremely poor quality of food, the dessert station was laughable, the food was cold, the staff looked like a diner staff that had mentally checked out in 1964, and it was outrageously expensive for the food you get. It seemed like everything had been sitting there since lunch 2 and a half weeks ago. I was in utter shock when the bill came. I understand Disney comes at a premium but this was like Ponderosa on a bad day. Then our waiteress is complaining about us within hearing distance, griping about tipping only 10% at a buffet when our drinks stayed empty since about 8 minutes. I would advise no one ever under any circumstances eat there.

The amount of closures was tolerable. No Splash Mountain and Test Track shut down on Monday for its refurb. Many of the attractions remained closed until 1 P.M. or so and then the lines were crazy because they had been shut down most of the day. The staff was rarely in character. Tower of Terror felt like demon drop at Cedar Point. Cast Members seemed to be have been so fed up with the plethora of rude people about that they were just flat out abrasive with everyone they came into contact with. I felt like I was getting scolded by my Mother half of the time. God forbid you have an issue or problem. The fast pass machine we were at was down, and we got straight up snapped at just for asking for some assistance.

It was cold, crowded, and unfriendly most of the week. There were plenty of bright spots, and we made the best of it. I had a great vacation otherwise, but I had never experienced so much negativity surrounding one trip to WDW. I had more issues this past week than the previous 10 trips combined.

Jeri
01-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow, sorry to hear you had so many issues. I have never heard of Ohana catching fire before.
We ate at Hollywood and Vine for breakfast back in 2007 and I thought the food was ok, not amazing but not bad either. I thought the waitstaff was excelent too.

Well I am glad you made the best of it none the less. I have been hearing that there are less and less non busy times.

faline
01-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Sorry you had some rought patches on your trip!

GreenBeetle
01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I feel your pain, GoBlueLacheta. We were there the week before you and hit quite a few bumps in the road this time around as well. The brights spots for me (fabulous Kidani Village, the animals, and the Christmas decorations still up everywhere) helped me through it all.

I agree with you about rude people everywhere. I didn't see it so much in Disney Castmembers as I did in the guests - and that really irritates me.

KylesMom
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm so sorry that your trip was less than magical! :(

vizsla
01-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Sorry to hear you some disappointments on your trip.

Disdude
01-17-2010, 07:42 AM
We're still on property right now. We saw one cast member almost in tears at the World of Disney store trying to explain what a guest had done to her to her manager.

I think the sense of entitlement among many of the population seems to be growing. The worst have been the smokers that either don't understand the policies or choose to ignore them. I am having a difficult time choosing the worst incident. It was either the guy at Epcot that put out his smoke by rolling between his fingers dropping ash in the crowded main walkway at World Showcase or the woman that lit up at a table under the awning at the Earl when we sat down to have dinner. It wasn't the smoke that bothered as much as the fear that her oxygen tank would blow.

I've heard a lot about how bad the cast members are lately. I'd be less than a model employee if I had to deal with many of these people daily.

Having said all that, I'm still very happy to be here. I'll continue to respect everyone and treat them the way I want to be treated.

Mendelson
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
It wasn't the smoke that bothered as much as the fear that her oxygen tank would blow.

Lol....that would be a classic Darwin Award way to go...although if she's already passed on her stupid genes, it's too late.

pdrlkr
01-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Rough trip! :blush:

Altair
01-18-2010, 08:01 AM
It wasn't the smoke that bothered as much as the fear that her oxygen tank would blow.

Oxygen is not a flammable gas, so the tanks would not explode. Oxygen supports combustion which would only make her cigarettes burn more quickly.:mickey: