Ian
01-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Okay, so the NFL announced the finalists for Rookie of the Year. They include:
Jarius Byrd, S, Buffalo Bills
Brian Cushing, LB, Houston Texans
Percy Harvin, WR, Minnesota Vikings
Clay Matthews, LB, Green Bay Packers
Michael Oher, OT, Baltimore Ravens
Now look ... all these players had great years, but consider the following ...

Mark Sanchez of the Jets won Rookie of the Week three times during the regular season. Harvin only won twice, Byrd never won, Cushing never won (but Brian Orakpo, also a LB, did win once), Oher never won, and Matthews won once.

How about Knowshon Moreno, who had an outstanding rookie season and won Rookie of the Week four times. Where is he on the list?

Jeremy Maclin of the Eagles had stats nearly identical to Percy Harvin's and he also won Rookie of the Week once yet he didn't make the finals? Sanchez lead his team to the playoffs in his first year and doesn't even make the finals? Mike Wallace of the Steelers had stats similar to Harvin's and won Rookie of the Week three times and he's not in the final five?

I don't get it. :shrug:

gueli
01-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I could not and would not vote for mark sanchez. While he started hot- and won rookie of the week for three weeks- his play throughout the season has been up & down. While Sanchez seems to have turned a corner- his 20 interceptions would make me, and apparently the NFL voters turn against him. Also- I would comment- Thomas Jones and the Jet D and O line have 'led' the Jets to this point (even Shone Greene was not that significant a factor, untill the last few weeks). So you could say Sanchez shot himself in the foot.:goodbad:

Apparently the others you mention didn't have a good PR rep, or played in 'less deirable' markets - especially that Philly area :D :thedolls:

It also goes to show how much rookie of the week matters in the NFL.
:nope:

Scar
01-16-2010, 10:23 AM
It also goes to show how much rookie of the week matters in the NFL.I've been a pretty big Football fan my whole life. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

kakn7294
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I know I'm partial to him because he plays for my team, but someone else who didn't make the cut was Mike Wallace of Pittsburgh. He also has stats that nearly match Harvin - only 39 receptions but for 756 yds, average 19.4 yds per catch, and 6 TDs. He's won Rookie of the Week 3 times and had the game winning TD in 2 games - against GB and Miami. I guess because he's not catching for Farve and the Steelers didn't make the playoffs, he's not a consideration either.

Ian
01-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Mike Wallace of the Steelers had stats similar to Harvin's and won Rookie of the Week three times and he's not in the final five?

I know I'm partial to him because he plays for my team, but someone else who didn't make the cut was Mike Wallace of Pittsburgh. He also has stats that nearly match Harvin - only 39 receptions but for 756 yds, average 19.4 yds per catch, and 6 TDs. He's won Rookie of the Week 3 times and had the game winning TD in 2 games - against GB and Miami. I guess because he's not catching for Farve and the Steelers didn't make the playoffs, he's not a consideration either.Is there an echo in here?

Must be a Pittsburgh thing! :razz:

kakn7294
01-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Is there an echo in here?

Must be a Pittsburgh thing! :razz:I told you before, I'm blonde! :D

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok, I am extremely biased and bleed green and gold. But my vote is for Clay Matthews. He played absolutely solid and was difference maker when it mattered...the last 3/4's of the season. His stats back up his importance and value to the Packers...

DakotaDisney
01-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Percy Harvin !!!

Rhetoric2000
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
An award like Rookie of the Week is almost always going to be given to an offensive "skill" player who, as with Sanchez (and Harvin) are going to have as many bad weeks as good. Harvin was great for a middle portion of the season, but was fairly anonymous beginning and end. Sanchez got off to a great start, but was then brought back to earth and Rex has changed tactics to hide his weaknesses since.

Whereas most of the players nominated have had solid seasons all the way through.

Given the options I would go with Brian Cushing, but if Clay Matthews was to get it I think that would be fair enough also.

Both of these guys were great. Coming from a rugby background one of the disappointing things in the NFL this year has been the standard of open field tackling. These two are proper wrap-around-a-guy-and-make-sure-he's-down players rather than the higlight-reel-seeking shoulder tackle nonsense.