PDA

View Full Version : FW Cabins?

TiggerCat
01-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Has anyone stayed in one recently? We were looking for something different for next year but I just noticed that AAA rated them as only two diamonds for 2009. That doesn't sound very promising.

Anyone?

TC.

yjgirl32
01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I had posted the same question about 2 weeks ago but didn't get too much input. I had gotten some from Kathy from Mj who said they were very nice and roomy. Plus they get the mousekeeping. Good luck.

TiggerCat
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
I had posted the same question about 2 weeks ago but didn't get too much input. I had gotten some from Kathy from Mj who said they were very nice and roomy. Plus they get the mousekeeping. Good luck.

I actually found some great information on the Camping board this morning so you may want to check it out.

TC.

wdw_bound
01-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I have no idea why they are considered 2 stars. Granted, they are not luxury accomodations, but they are very comfortable, very clean, and offer amenities you can find nowhere else on property. We stayed in the cabins in October of 08 and are going back this summer for a grand gathering (only don't tell my kids - it's a surprise :secret:)

We loved having a seperate bedroom and living area, we really enjoyed having a deck (I am an early riser and would take my coffee out there and post live trip reports as I watched the wildlife). It was nice that our kids could be kids without us worrying about the room next door or above or below.

Be sure to make time in your plans to just enjoy the resort - the campfire sing along, the Electric Water Pageant, the recreational opportunities, the hayride - all are tons of fun.

You will get daily mousekeeping, and we found ours to be wonderful - never have we gotten so many towel animals, and our cabin was always spotless. She even ran the dishwasher for us.

I recommend the cabins to anyone who is looking for a unique experience. Have a great trip!

TiggerCat
01-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I have no idea why they are considered 2 stars. Granted, they are not luxury accomodations, but they are very comfortable, very clean, and offer amenities you can find nowhere else on property.

I'm not sure why only two diamonds but maybe it was a misprint. I will have to send AAA an email to enquire. But thanks for the description and tips. We have had many opportunities to stay in the cablins for a great price but we have always selected one of the other resorts. However, I think it's time to take the plunge.

TC.

yjgirl32
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Thank you- I will check it out.

AuntLaura
01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
FW is still one of our favorite places. I stayed there last in April 2009. I wasn't struck with any major kind of decline. Overall, we've always been pleased. Over multiple stays, I have been what I would consider minor issues - light bulb out, bath tub drain clogged, no VCR connector etc. Whenever we've called, maintenance has always come right away to fix problem. I can't say the same thing for BCV or BLT. I would have no hesitation in staying at FW. Remember - you ARE "camping"

TikiLounger
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
We had a great time when we stayed in a cabin. Roomy, clean, Mousekeeping, big bathroom...it was awesome.

ibrowse17
01-18-2010, 12:32 PM
We had a great time when we stayed in a cabin. Roomy, clean, Mousekeeping, big bathroom...it was awesome.

I agree. We loved our stay in the cabins on our last trip for the same reasons:thumbsup:

TiggerCat
01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Are you able to have a campfire or have they banned open fires?

TC.

AuntLaura
01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
The only place I'm aware they allow an open fire at Fort WIlderness is at the nightly sing-a-long/movie where you can roast marshmallows. It's by the Meadows Trading Post. There really isn't any where around your cabin for an open fire. You are allowed to grill food with charcoal and have a grate by your deck.

DiannaJ
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I stayed at FW the 1st week of Oct 09 and I loved it for the peace and quiet. After staying at Wilderness Lodge and hearing doors slamming and kids running down the halls at all times of the night I decided that I wanted some peace and quiet after a day in the parks. This was definatly the place. The other advantage was being able to have breakfast in the cabin. There is a great place to order grocery's (Garden Grocers) delivers the food you order online right to your cabin. So between the roomy cabin with a seperate bedroom and a place to fix meals if you don't want to have to search out a place to eat in the mornings I highly recommend FW.:thumbsup:

TiggerCat
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I stayed at FW the 1st week of Oct 09 and I loved it for the peace and quiet. After staying at Wilderness Lodge and hearing doors slamming and kids running down the halls at all times of the night I decided that I wanted some peace and quiet after a day in the parks. This was definatly the place. The other advantage was being able to have breakfast in the cabin. There is a great place to order grocery's (Garden Grocers) delivers the food you order online right to your cabin. So between the roomy cabin with a seperate bedroom and a place to fix meals if you don't want to have to search out a place to eat in the mornings I highly recommend FW.:thumbsup:

Sounds awesome! I also understand that they have refurbished the Meadowlands pool, which is good since I thought it was a little boring.

TC.

dolewhiplovers
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
We stayed in a cabin last year between Christmas and New Years and had a great time. It was so nice to get up in the morning and make a meal before heading over to the parks. We also weren't tripping all over each other either because they are quite spacious. If you do stay, make sure to allow time to explore the campground. There really are a lot of things to do there and a great place to relax. I think they may have renovated the pool area recently also. Another nice thing is that you can get to the Magic Kingdom by boat and home by boat also. It sure beats the Monorail when the park closes. Good luck if you decide to try it out.

diz_girl
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Frequently, the number of diamonds has more to do with amenities than other factors. Also, more recently, resorts have to offer more and more amenities for the same number of stars. A resort with four diamonds might offer spa services, nightly turn-down service, an extensive room service menu, business services, etc. But if a resort doesn't have that, then the diamonds start to go away. So don't worry that there is a problem with the cabins, I've heard lots of good things about them.

Laughin' place
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
We stayed at the cabins in June 08, and they were perfect for my family (including 4 large teenage boys). In addition to my love of FtW in general (and all the great events / activities that others have mentioned), there is privacy, roominess, having your own kitchen, and the novelty aspect. I would strongly encourage you to give it a try.,:thumbsup:

Buttercup
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
We've stayed in them a number of times. It truly is like having a whole house instead of a cooped up hotel room. We can put the kids to bed and have a separate room & deck to sit on so we can watch tv, or chat, without worrying about waking them up. The kitchen is wonderful too - I don't like to cook on vacation, but it sure is convenient to have a bowl of cereal in the morning instead of buying a big breakfast at a resort restaurant. AND, mousekeeping does the dishes!
For families with little kids, (and babies especially) the kitchen is a BIG plus.
Lots of room outside your front door for kids to explore in the "wilderness", it's very quiet... I can't say enough good things about it! :thumbsup:

Mousemates
01-21-2010, 12:39 AM
We loved our stay there and they are great when you have teens also...the extra room allows mom or dad to sack out on pull down bed while the kids watch TV in the other room (or vice versa). furthermore, the feel at FWC is very different from the rest of the disney resorts...its very fun, very laid back, and very private feeling. About the only thing that is comparable to it would be the ssr treehouses...which are way more expensive and also lacking in the charm and recreational opportunities of FWC. The cabins are one of our favorite places to stay.