PDA

View Full Version : volunteering for a free disney pass

motherof4
01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
does anyone know how to go about finding out who is involved in the volunteer programs to get a free disney pass?

faline
01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Go to the official Disney Web Site. There will be a place for you to enter your zip code which will then bring up volunteer opportunities in your area.

Lacy
01-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Was anyone else surprised by the limited number of offerings on the Disney page? And the way I understand it is that the volunteer day has to be from the list, correct? We have been planning to do habitat for humanity and was glad to see that it was on the list!

Catzle
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
yes, very limited especially if you were planning to do it as a family. Every page is almost 16 and over

JPooh
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess it depends on where you live. We're in FL and found a number of organizations to choose from for the whole family.

Polynesian Dweller
01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Was anyone else surprised by the limited number of offerings on the Disney page?

Not really. Disney can't force organizations to participate. Each one like habitat has to decide whether it's worth the extra time and cost to them to verify that the volunteer work has been done. Don't know if Disney helps defray these but there are costs to that.

It's just good that they are highlighting the importance of volunteering.

IloveJack
01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree with JPooh, it must depend on where you live. I had 19 pages worth of opportunities pop up with our zip code. Although, lots of them had "TBD" dates, and I wasn't willing to wait around with only 1M vouchers being given out. We did our volunteer work on Sunday (nice, easy, well worth 2 tickets to Disney) and were told we could expect our vouchers by Friday.

Melanie
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
I notice that the posts remarking on lack of opportunities were over a week ago. When the promotion first started, I too was disappointed in the lack of offerings, but checked again the other day and many, many more had been added. :thumbsup:

Lacy
01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I just checked again and there were many more opportunities in my area!!!

Melanie
01-27-2010, 08:03 AM
I just checked again and there were many more opportunities in my area!!!

Good!! :thumbsup:

wire0monkey
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
We did our volunteer work two weeks ago and had our vouchers in hand within a couple of days. We only had a few opportunities for volunteering with kids under the age of 12, but the volunteer work we did get to do was a very good experience.

The organization and Hands On Network and Disney all did a great job.

We're keeping two of the vouchers for fastpasses and we donated two of the vouchers to the Boys and Girls Club.

forever a child
02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I just submitted our non-profit to the list! Hopefully it will be approved and added to the list shortly. We are in Louisville, KY! We have a lot of volunteers that I would hope would get a perk for their help or donate the pass to one of the charities that will use them!:thumbsup:

murphy1
02-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Wow, they get to you fast! I just got our tickets. We made quilts for Project Linus (I have a freelance sewing business), so it was perfect! My kids loved helping and they will go to some great kids.

coneygoil
02-09-2010, 09:36 AM
My parents did the program and found it pretty easy. They volunteered to pick up trash after a Mardi Gras parade, which I was surprised that that was on the list! :party:

IloveJack
02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
So glad that we've done ours already. I really wanted to volunteer at our local zoo (we're members, and I enjoy being there anyhow), but they had nothing available until late March. I decided not to wait that long and was glad that I did. According to Tweeter (@intercot) less than 400,000 are left, and it's only Feb. 11! Wow! Never thought they'd go that fast.
The moral of this post is volunteer soon, or else you may not get your voucher.

P.S. I'll probably still volunteer at the zoo... just not for a Disney pass. :mickey:

Melanie
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
According to Tweeter (@intercot) less than 400,000 are left, and it's only Feb. 11! Wow! Never thought they'd go that fast.
The moral of this post is volunteer soon, or else you may not get your voucher.

Yes! I wanted to reiterate this, as it was indeed announced this morning at the press event that 600,000 people have already committed to or completed their service project, so less than 400,000 spots/free Disney days remain. Get registered SOON!!!!

Patricia
02-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not having any luck volunteering here in Canada. So far all of my emails have gone unanswered and I only had a couple to chose from.

Kenny1113
02-20-2010, 06:18 PM
They going to make an announcement when all of the vouchers are gone???

forever a child
02-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I set up the account for the Non profit I work for and we are now up on the Disney site. We have been getting a lot of requests since day one. But I am surprised at the number of people asking to do the work from their own home.:confused: One of the jobs I posted was to hand write thank you cards to our donors. Why does a supposable "volunteer" think I am going to let them take my list of donor names and thank you supplies and postage to their own home and work? :noway: Obviously, with our regular volunteers that perhaps would not be an issue but someone who had no history with us? :huh: All of our listings are clerical or office type work but I keep getting requests for 6 or 8 year olds for this type work too. Sorry, I just don't have a lot of work for this age group. :sorry:

forever a child
02-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Not really. Disney can't force organizations to participate. Each one like habitat has to decide whether it's worth the extra time and cost to them to verify that the volunteer work has been done. Don't know if Disney helps defray these but there are costs to that.

It's just good that they are highlighting the importance of volunteering.

No they don't.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not having any luck volunteering here in Canada. So far all of my emails have gone unanswered and I only had a couple to chose from.

Me either ... there just isn't much for us, is there? I know that Disney has to put some limits on it, to ensure people are actually volunteering with a legit organization, but it is a bit frustrating that there are no opportunities, but the hours of volunteer work we already do on a regular basis doesn't "count".

Oh well, I still like the idea, and hopefully some organizations are benefiting from it.

crltkcagle
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a five year old that wants to volunteer and the minimum age is 6 in our area. :(

Patricia
02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Finally, I did hear back from one of my contacts only to be told that they have no opportunities until May and have been told by Disney that the promotion may be over by then. Even at that.. they are not sure what their volunteer needs will be.

Pretty sad I can't find something to do.. you'd think there would be lots of need. I'm surprised there are not more organizations represented.

murphy1
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
This is just a suggestion, but we made all the quilts we donated to Linus in my sewing studio and then mailed them across a few towns, since driving in Atlanta is a pain. Maybe you might want to see if you could do that. I just sent a note with everyone who was signed up and my business card. It worked out very well. Just send an email to an organization that you could do this for and it might work out for both parties. It is hard for me to get out some days, so it was a good option. Incidentally, I do a lot of volunteer work, it really is a nice feeling to do things for others.

TikiGoddess
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
I just registered! I'm making posters for Heifer International.

So I am registered, but does that mean I am guaranteed a ticket (if I complete my project of course)? I mean, what if they run out of tickets before my completion date?

Kathy

4myprincesses
02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
We volunteered on Sat. at our area zoo. (We: myself, DD8, and DD7) It was cold and wet, but fun with the sun helping keep us warm. I do have to say, it was nice to move away from the penguins as they were a little bit smelly after an hour or so :sick:

The zoo rep. working with us was wonderful and told us a few stats on how the program was helping them out. The lights will be down 3 months earlier than normal without paying extra man-hours. Very helpful to them in these tough times.

We look forward to doing something like it again in the future without the ticket promo. The girls had a great time, and it was nice knowing we were helping out something that was important to us.

forever a child
02-23-2010, 12:28 AM
I just registered! I'm making posters for Heifer International.

So I am registered, but does that mean I am guaranteed a ticket (if I complete my project of course)? I mean, what if they run out of tickets before my completion date?

Kathy

I LOVE Heifer International!

To answer your question, I am not sure but I think once you are in the system and scheduled to work a specific date, then you are pretty much guaranteed a GAD ticket if you complete your volunteer day and the organization confirms you did the work. I can not say for sure..but since I am the one approving our organizations volunteers, that is the way it looks from my end. I have 72 hours to respond following the date you were scheduled to complete your volunteer day. So I think you should be ok. Once that day is confirmed that you have worked it, it seems to only be taking Disney about 72 hours to respond and send you a voucher to print out or donate. Hope that eases your mind some! :thumbsup:

Patricia
02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I do volunteer quite a bit and was just about to suggest that one of them sign up when an opportunity finally presented itself.

I have a spot!

I was going to ask if they were guaranteeing tickets for this, once your registered, as my date isn't till June. That question looks about as answered as it's going to get. :thumbsup:

murphy1
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
This was pretty cool, we got a PIN code email a few days after I redeemed the GAD certificates for our service, $225/nt at Contemporary!!

Kenny1113
02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
This was pretty cool, we got a PIN code email a few days after I redeemed the GAD certificates for our service, $225/nt at Contemporary!!

That is great! :thumbsup:
here's to hoping I can get a great rate too!

MarkC
02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
I have a question-- we have already registered for an activity but it doesn't occur until May 22nd. Would they hold vouchers for us or will be out of luck since a prior poster pointed out they may be out by May? I wouldn't think that they would have people volunteer and then be told "sorry but we're out". Just curious. Thanks.

PopPhan
02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a question-- we have already registered for an activity but it doesn't occur until May 22nd. Would they hold vouchers for us or will be out of luck since a prior poster pointed out they may be out by May? I wouldn't think that they would have people volunteer and then be told "sorry but we're out". Just curious. Thanks.

No offense intended, but the offer is/was for the first one million to successfully complete their volunteer assignment. Once one million GAD,GADD vouchers have been given out, why would they continue the program?

TikiGoddess
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Mark, I think that if you have registered with Disney and your volunteer organization, that they will 'save' a pass for you. In the email I received after I registered, it said something about letting Disney know if you were unable to fulfill your volunteer obligation, so other people could have the chance at a ticket.

So, I think Disney counts you when you have registered with them, not when you fulfill your volunteering.

Kathy