PDA

View Full Version : New England Recommendations

Magic Smiles
01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Okay, I grew up going to Kennebunkport every summer and loved it. Thought about doing it again this coming summer as it has been over 20 years since my last visit there. Checked out the prices of the places that we use to stay. I could book a stay in WDW for the same costs, so what is with that? Any one have any recommendations on a great place to visit and stay along the coast of New England? We are looking for only a week.

SBETigg
01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
The Old Orchard, York, or Wells Beach areas might be a bit more affordable. We stay right on the beach in Wells and we pay less than we spend in Disney (but we're deluxe fans at WDW). Plus, we drive vs fly. Our beach vacations end up to be less expensive than our WDW stays, but both can add up fast. The further you stay from the beach, the more affordable it is. Most places are walkable to the beach. In Wells, there's also a trolley system that goes from most of the hotels on Rt 1 to the beach, saving on hassle and parking. Good luck with the planning!

CzepielCrew
01-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I would suggest
Hampton Beach NH
York Beach ME
or
Old Orchard Beach ME

Been to all. Hampton is the busiest and loudest. York is the quietest.

Magic Smiles
01-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I would suggest
Hampton Beach NH
York Beach ME
or
Old Orchard Beach ME

Been to all. Hampton is the busiest and loudest. York is the quietest.

I have been to Old Orchard Beach and it is not for us. Way to crowded and carnival like. Can't imagine Hampton if it is even busier.
Will have to research York. And I have been to Wells many times also as it is just around the curve from Kennebunkport. Any one ever stay in Ogonquit?

SBETigg
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, if Old Orchard wasn't for you, you probably won't love York either. It's Wells/Moody/Ogunquit as your best bet, I think.

Ogunquit is great because you the have Marginal Way, Perkins Cove, beach, and shops/restaurants. It's probably the most like Kennebunkport (but not quite, because there's nothing quite like Kennebunkport). There are only two hotels on the beach and those sell out fast and get pricey in season. However, they also have the trolley for transportation and most of the main drag is easily walkable. There are lots of resorts on route 1, some with beach access walkways (a bit of a walk). You could also stay between Wells and Ogunquit and have a little of both worlds. Moody Beach in between is quiet, but you have to be respectful of the private homeowners who guard their stretches of beach with a passion. There are public walkways and the beach is only private to the high tide water line. You can find some private house rentals in Moody for decent prices, often less than the hotels.

Touchdown
01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
For a slightly different experience, ever been to Bar Harbor, ME? Its way up the down east coast so you wont be swiming too much in the ocean, instead you can explore Arcadia National Park (which has everything from the hard core nature stuff through easily accessible by car attractions, horse drawn carriage tours and authentic English tea (the meal.) Outside of the park the town is full of quaint shops and you can catch a whale watch boat as well.

Magic Smiles
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Any one ever heard Ne'r Beach Motel of Wells, Maine? If so, what is it like?
We use to stay at Idlease on Route 9, but I guess it might be called Shorelands Resort in Kennebunkport now.

SBETigg
01-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Any one ever heard Ne'r Beach Motel of Wells, Maine? If so, what is it like?
We use to stay at Idlease on Route 9, but I guess it might be called Shorelands Resort in Kennebunkport now.

It's like a little strip motel. Not a lot of rooms, I think, not much to look at on the outside. Not sure what it's like inside, but I think there are better choices unless you're just looking for a cheap place to sleep and shower. We've had good stays at the Eastwinds Resort on Mile Road (not to be confused with East Winds on 1), the Lafayette owned resorts on Mile Road, and the Atlantic Motor Inn. But those can be up there in price on season for the beachfront rooms. I'm trying to remember the names of the few decent places we stayed at on rt 1. The Sea View? I think that was one.

thejens
01-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I love Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. (sorry about misspelling!) Our family has a reunion at Rockport MA every summer. It is an absolutely beautiful little place. Lots of cute little shops and bookstores and art galleries etc. The water is slightly warmer, but there is not a lot of beautiful beach. One year we spent two weeks stopping in Rockport, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and then headed to the Berkshires to Norman Rockwell country and the Berkshires. We flew in and out of Boston and did the duck boats and Boston Common. A great trip!

Magic Smiles
01-17-2010, 07:30 AM
It's like a little strip motel. Not a lot of rooms, I think, not much to look at on the outside. Not sure what it's like inside, but I think there are better choices unless you're just looking for a cheap place to sleep and shower. We've had good stays at the Eastwinds Resort on Mile Road (not to be confused with East Winds on 1), the Lafayette owned resorts on Mile Road, and the Atlantic Motor Inn. But those can be up there in price on season for the beachfront rooms. I'm trying to remember the names of the few decent places we stayed at on rt 1. The Sea View? I think that was one.

Checked out the Eastwinds Resort on the internet and sent them off an email requesting any pamphlets they may have. Looks like an pretty good place and the prices aren't all that bad. If we end up going I hope that I am not disappointed from having all these great memories of Kennebunkport as it has been so long since our last visit there.

SBETigg
01-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Checked out the Eastwinds Resort on the internet and sent them off an email requesting any pamphlets they may have. Looks like an pretty good place and the prices aren't all that bad. If we end up going I hope that I am not disappointed from having all these great memories of Kennebunkport as it has been so long since our last visit there.

That's why it's hard to make recommendations. Things change, and what worked for us might not be to your taste. In the case of Eastwinds, every room is different because they're individually owned and rented out. We've been in room 110 (which has a slight water view) and the townhouse, which is really nice with lots of room. I hope you can make some great new memories in a new place. If you need some dining or shopping recommendations later, I've got those, too. And it's not much of a drive to make a day trip into Kennebunkport from there.

GrumpySue
01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
We always stay at the Kingsport Inn right in the heart of Kennebunkport. It is very reasonable and the have a great breakfast in the lobby included. It is really nice to be able to stroll right into town and up along Ocean Avenue, and its about a mile from Kennebunk Beach, we walk there all the time.