PDA

View Full Version : Monorail

ChipNDale79
01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I know it'll never happen, but what are your thoughts on the expanding the monorail to all the parks and to at least the Deluxe Results and possibly all of the Moderate Resorts?

Id love to see it happen, but i have a feeling we wont see that in my lifetime.

BMan62
01-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Personal opinion: Way too costly. They would be better served with something like the light rail around here.

SBETigg
01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I think it would be fantastic. It's really expensive and probably not going to happen, but I love the idea of it and would be all for monorail expansion. I would probably start with a trek from the TTC/Seven Seas Lagoon to the AK.

Stu29573
01-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I kno wthis is off topic, but when I saw the name of this thread, I immediately thought of the Simpsons monorail episode. Now I have the song stuck in my head. I guess I need some coffee...

Bay Lake
01-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I would love to see the Monorail go to AK, but at something like 13 million per mile I do not see that coming soon.

btharvey
01-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Ah, but I second the light-rail choice. Or an automated light rail, park to park (i.e., MK to AK, EPCOT to DD, etc.) ... electrical. Or, replace the buses with all-electric or at least hybrid vehicles.

Of course, we could always have them reimplement the TTA as an exterior attraction.

But yeah, hammering reinforcements into the soft and sandy ground (high water table) to support the track required to make the journey -- even though they know what they need to do this time, unlike last time ... and owing to inflation, it ain't gonna be a monorail.

Darbylew
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
It would be great but I don't see it happening
at least no time soon.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY 2010. :D:mickey:

Always Goofy
01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I remember talking about this a very long time ago when the studios opened up. I figured it wouldn't happen then, and probably won't happen now

TheVBs
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
It would be wonderful if it at least went to all the parks. :mickey:

Bear Necessity
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I agree with the other - probably won't happen.

Speaking of transportation though - why can't they have boat transporation from the AK Lodge to AK park. That shouldn't be out of line cost wise.

I love taking boat rides to the parks.

BigThunderFan
01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Let's just say it is much more likely to see Star Trek style transporters before we'll see more monorails at Disney...

Polynesian Dweller
01-15-2010, 02:13 PM
LRT may actually be a possibility. it's not inexpensive but a lot cheaper than monorail and ultimately than a bus fleet. WDW is almost twice the size of Manhatten Island (true stat even according to the Disney company). Tens of thousands of people to move around a large area. It could become viable just to handle the need and would make getting around much easier.

ChipNDale79
01-15-2010, 02:28 PM
id be fine with light rail, we have it here in Charlotte and I love it.

finaldynasty
04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I agree a light rail would be great, but I am fine with the way it is. I would not even mind a regular train from resort to resort or park or DTD.

Imagineer1981
04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
How would light rail work though? Would it go park to park only? would it go from the TTC to each park? Seems like there would be rails running everywhere

DizneyRox
04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Monorail would be great, probably the best [guest] option out there.

Light rail would be more economical, however I don't see how it would work well enough to be a good option. I think visually it's not a good option as well, you'll have traffic issues, etc.

Distances are too far for TTA/moving sidewalk type transportation as well.

Busses, as much as I don't like them, are probably the easiest and least costly option in the long term. They have to maintain the roads anyway. If a train breaks down, how do you handle that? Busses, same way they handled the monorail crash last year. It's fairly easy to keep them moving and adjust them based on demand.

CU Tiger
04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I am not saying they are not correct, but the cost to build the mono rail seem high.:confused: I guess there are a lot of costs that are not obvious. It would seem it would pay for itself as compared to the bus system in use now. Each monorail carriers at least 4 or 5 bus loads of people. Using the buses, DW has to pay for more drivers, insurace, tags, maintanance, deal with more accidents, etc.. The mono rail seems it would also be better for the environment than the bus system as well.

I may be off base, but this is my :twocents:. :mickey:

DizneyRox
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
If it were cheaper, Disney would do it. They want to save a buck as much (even more actually) as anyone else. Guests/environments/etc don't matter as much as the stock holders.

eeyorepoohfan
04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I know it's not economical, but I would love to see the Monorail go to all the parks and resorts. This would really free up the roadways for people who would like to or need to drive to the parks. Plus, the monorail would be faster since they could design more direct routes than what the roadways can offer. I love to just sit and relax on the monorail! :thumbsup:

I am also in favor of the literail system too. It would allow them to get more people to destinations and possibly quicker. I really think it would be fantastic if they could get all the parks and resorts linked up a little better. However, I will still happily take the busses as long as that means I can visit and play at WDW!!! :mickey:

GoBlueLacheta
04-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Mono means one and rail means rail and that ends our extensive six week course.

javamama
04-14-2010, 11:23 PM
The Monorail is WDW I associate them together. It would be great to see it extended, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Kaps
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I love the monorail system and would like it to go everywhere but with the recent economy not a chance. Disney does not seem to be doing much except refurbs. Can't see transportation being one of there top issues

Skippy
04-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Light rail would interfere with the already current traffic situation. Since monorail is above ground, it would alleviate traffic situations.

As a plus... the monorail is Disney Magic!

Polynesian Dweller
04-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Light rail would interfere with the already current traffic situation. Since monorail is above ground, it would alleviate traffic situations.

As a plus... the monorail is Disney Magic!

Not necessarily. We have light rail transit systems in Canada that are elevated to go over roadways. As well, the above ground sections of the subway system in Toronto go both over and under bridges at road intersections (huge bridge of the 16 lane highway 401). I'm sure its the same in lots of jurisdictions. In other words, you can build LRTs that in no way interfere with road traffic.

The issue is relative cost. Where land has to be expropriated it can actually be more expensive than monorail but that isn't an issue at Disney.

TheRustyScupper
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
1) There is ZERO monetary advantage to WDW for park-to-park monorails.
2) And, I don't see why Deluxe resorts should get a preference.

joelkfla
04-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Can't see transportation being one of there top issues
Well, with the money being spent on bus acquisition, and (still) trying to automate bus dispatch, plus plans for a high-speed rail station, I wouldn't exactly put it that way.

joelkfla
04-20-2010, 06:43 PM
And, I don't see why Deluxe resorts should get a preference.
Really?

Don't you see it as good business for Disney to entice guests to stay at Deluxe over Value?

Touchdown
04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
My dream setup involves these monorail loops:

1. Theme Park Express Monorail-This is the connecting monorail line between all the loops, it has 8 stops, MK, TTC (heading towards Epcot,) Epcot (heading towards DHS,) DHS (heading towards AK,) AK, DHS (heading towards Epcot,) Epcot (heading towards TTC,) and TTC. It would be partially formed by the old MK Express Loop and Epcot Spur line being merged.

2. MK Resort Loop: The current Resort monorail line, but with an expansion across Bay Lake to the WL and FW.

3. Epcot-DHS Resort Loop: Stops at these two parks and the Crescent Lake Resorts.

4. AK Resort Loop: AK, ESPN WWS, BB, ASMu,Mo,S, CSR, AKL.

5. Downtown Disney Loop: This is a duel loop (one for clockwise and counter clockwise) with stops at Epcot, POR, POFQ, OKW, SS, Marketplace, West Side, TL, Pop, and CBR. All guests entering from DD locations before 6:00pm are required to be resort guests or have already used today tickets (ie no free parking and hopping on this monorail to get to the park.)