PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Penguins Caught Cheating!!!

Ian
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Well ... not exactly, but close ... ;)

TV Producer Suspended Over Goal Review (http://www.intercot.com/truth_and_rumors/view/145090-tv-producer-suspended-over-goal-review)

FSN Pittsburgh has suspended a veteran producer for failing to provide NHL replay officials in Toronto all video footage of a disputed goal disallowed to a Philadelphia Flyers player last Thursday in a Penguins' loss at Mellon Arena. well MacDonald Jr., 45, has been suspended indefinitely, the Tribune-Review learned Tuesday, as part of FSN Pittsburgh's investigation. The NHL was not directly involved in the investigation. "There is nothing more important than the integrity of the game. During last Thursday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers, a definitive replay of a Flyers goal was not aired prior to the conclusion of the official review and, as a result, a Flyers goal was not awarded. Fortunately, this did not change the outcome of the game. Nonetheless, FSN Pittsburgh's failure to provide video to the league officials in a timely fashion was wholly unacceptable," FSN Pittsburgh said in a statement.

kakn7294
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Nice Ian, blame the Penguin organization for cheating when FSN Pittsburgh is a TV STATION! And you know that you deliberately made your title sound like it's the team when it clearly wasn't based on that article. If it comes to light that this producer was deliberately hiding footage that could have resulted in a Flyers goal, then he deserves to be fired, not just suspended. As a fan, there's almost nothing that I love more than beating the Flyers but it's gotta be fair and square for all parties involved.

Ian
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Nice Ian, blame the Penguin organization for cheating when FSN Pittsburgh is a TV STATION! And you know that you deliberately made your title sound like it's the team when it clearly wasn't based on that article.Who? Me? :fingers:

Pagan
01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
But Ian doesn't stir the pot....NEVER! :razz:

kakn7294
01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Of course he doesn't! Let me apologize for accusing you of pot-stirring Ian! I know you would never do that. *cough* *cough*

yjgirl32
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Of course not. Especially since they beat his team last year in the Stanley Cup Finals!

gueli
01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
My outsiders perspective:

Ian - the penguins are low lifes
Pagan - they flyers :banned:
Ian- just wait till the playoffs
pagan- Dude they are gonna crush you
Ian :stir: the peguins are cheats
pagan - are not
Ian - Ok so its their TV station

:thedolls:

Ian
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Ian - the penguins are low lifesYou got this part right, anyway!

Pagan
01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Ian - the penguins are low lifes
Pagan - they flyers :banned:
Ian- just wait till the playoffs
pagan- Dude they are gonna crush you
Ian :stir: the peguins are cheats
pagan - are not
Ian - Ok so its their TV station

Actually Guels...it's a MUCH quicker conversation.

Ian - The penguins are low lifes.
Pagan - Who has the Cup?
Ian - *silence*

gueli
01-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Pagan - Who has the Cup?
Ian - *silence*

:funny::rocker::notworth:
even better

kakn7294
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Pagan - Who has the Cup?
Ian - *silence*

:thedolls:Nice! :thumbsup:

JPL
01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Ummm as a somewhat unbiased Hockey Fan here. The Penguins should be held responsible here it is their responsibility to make sure league rules are followed. The League is just lucky the goal did not impact the outcome of the game.
But in all honesty what disturbs me about the entire situation is how many other stations/teams have done this? The Penguins and their station just happened to get caught.

kakn7294
01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Ummm as a somewhat unbiased Hockey Fan here. The Penguins should be held responsible here it is their responsibility to make sure league rules are followed. The League is just lucky the goal did not impact the outcome of the game.
But in all honesty what disturbs me about the entire situation is how many other stations/teams have done this? The Penguins and their station just happened to get caught.I don't understand how it's the responsibility of the team to govern what the tv station does. It's an independent station, not property of the team.

JPL
01-14-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't understand how it's the responsibility of the team to govern what the tv station does. It's an independent station, not property of the team.

The team signs the deal with the station and agrees to comply with the rule that every angle is provided to the NHL for Goal reviews so it is the teams responsibility to make sure that happens.

Pagan
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
The team signs the deal with the station and agrees to comply with the rule that every angle is provided to the NHL for Goal reviews so it is the teams responsibility to make sure that happens.
Unless of course the team is not aware that it happened until afterward. ;)

JPL
01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
39.5 Logistics and Equipment - The Video Goal Judge must be located in a secluded area in the upper level of the building with an unobstructed view of both goals. The location must be large enough to seat three people (Video Goal Judge, Video Technician and Supervisor of Officials) and have space for necessary monitors, replay and recording equipment.

The Video Goal Judge shall have access to all replays that may be available by reason of any telecasts of the game and if there is no scheduled telecast the Club’s internal telecast of the game will be used.

Right from the rule book

kakn7294
01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
While it does say that all footage must be provided, the rule doesn't lay the responsibility for providing all available footage at the feet of the team. Let's look at some other scenarios: Comcast Sports Net Philadephia also filmed and broadcast the game. Would it have been the Flyers' responsibility if that station had the same video coverage and hadn't provide it to the judges? Would you still call it cheating on the Flyers part since the goal would have helped them? What if it were a national broadcast on Versus or ESPN? Is it still cheating on the part of the team that the failure to provide the footage favors? I still don't see how you can look at this and think that the Penquins are responsible.

Ian
01-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I still don't see how you can look at this and think that the Penquins are responsible.Just to be clear, I do not blame the Penguins for this!

My title was intended as strictly a tongue-in-cheek shot at Pagan. For all I know, this could have been an honest mistake.

Pagan
01-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I knew what you meant....BRO. :razz:

gueli
01-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Right from the rule book

The rules are quite clear- which is why the guy is in real trouble.
It is the penguins responsibility- but as the NHL has not declared wrongdoing on the penguins part - ie the producer acted without the knowledge or consent of the team, and there is an appropriate investigation by the contractor (FSN), and likely santions against said producer (who will most likely be fired)- it is unlikely that the Penguins will recieve any type of santions.
In addition - FSN - has taken the lead, as they wish to continue their relationship with the Penguins and the League. It would appear that FSN allerted the Penguins and or the NHL about the problem and what they were doing to rectify it (suspended indefinatly- most likely until fired).
This in no way makes the Penguins guilty of cheating. As the league is taking no apparent actions, at this time, it would appear as if the Penguins have acted appropriately, without any intentions of causing harm to the league.

Also the rule you cited only points out the particulars of what should be provided in a timely fashion to the video goal judge. FSN might be the responsible party as a contractor. The rule does not state clearly who the responsible party is for providing these replays, other than the general rule of what should be provided to the League officials.

Again - I think the actions of the Penguins, the NHL & FSN have been appropriate. In no way does this make the Penguins guilty of attempting to defroud or cheat the fans or the NHL.
:thumbsup:

Ian
01-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I knew what you meant....BRO. :razz:Thanks, dude.

kakn7294
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey Ian, I knew what you meant too although not necessarily that it was a jab at Pagan, just at Pens fans in general. Those jabs at each other are what Pens & Flyers fans do.

Gueli, very well put. It's what I wanted say but for some reason (probably because I'm blonde), it didn't translate well for me. Thanks!

gueli
01-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Just to be clear, I do not blame the Penguins for this!

My title was intended as strictly a tongue-in-cheek shot at Pagan. For all I know, this could have been an honest mistake.

I knew what you meant....BRO. :razz:

:ditto:
as did I

Again - I enjoy a fun rivalry thread
even if I am on the same side as Pagan on this :cheers:

gueli
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Hey Ian, I knew what you meant too although not necessarily that it was a jab at Pagan, just at Pens fans in general. Those jabs at each other are what Pens & Flyers fans do.

Gueli, very well put. It's what I wanted say but for some reason (probably because I'm blonde), it didn't translate well for me. Thanks!

You are welcome- we were probably writing it at the same time, but I took longer to finish it .
I thought you said it just fine, also. :)

Ian
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Again - I enjoy a fun rivalry thread
even if I am on the same side as Pagan on this ... Good gravy ... that's like dogs and cats living together!!

Pagan
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
OMG....someone call Satan and see how many inches they got down there! :D

gueli
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Good gravy ... that's like dogs and cats living together!!

:drama:
:dog::ccat:
:angel::thedolls:

Mass Chaos !!!
:D

biggun35
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
It was Crosby's fault!

Ian
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
It was Crosby's fault!Yeah, he probably dove on the cameraman, delaying delivery of the missing footage.

kakn7294
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
It was Crosby's fault!

Yeah, he probably dove on the cameraman, delaying delivery of the missing footage.Funny you guys would say this. I was just wondering when Ian was going to blame Sid. It's been over a week Ian - you're slipping!

Donald A
01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I went to the Flyers / Pens game last week. It was a very snowy drive. It really doesn't matter because the Flyers won. The Pens didn't show up and the Flyers actually showed their skill instead of being goons. I don't think the Pens were ready for that.

If a team I love is caught cheating in a fashion determential to the outcome, I have trouble supporting that team. However, FSN is not the Penguins, it is a tv network. If the guy did hold the footage from Toronto and he is supposed to provide it, he ought to lose his job.

However, things don't always work out the way the NHL mandates. Just like you are not supposed to bite a guy's finger but Hartnell got away with it, after all, why would Kris Letang bite his own finger.

gueli
01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
If a team I love is caught cheating in a fashion determential to the outcome, I have trouble supporting that team. However, FSN is not the Penguins, it is a tv network. If the guy did hold the footage from Toronto and he is supposed to provide it, he ought to lose his job.
However, things don't always work out the way the NHL mandates. Just like you are not supposed to bite a guy's finger but Hartnell got away with it, after all, why would Kris Letang bite his own finger.

Kris needed some finger food ?:D