PDA

View Full Version : tipping

margaretvest
01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
:mickey:Should we tip the housekeeper daily?

renecat
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
We make up envelopes for each day with $1.00 per person in them and mark the day of the week on them. That way if we have a different housekeeper for a few days they don't get left out.

Ms. Mode
01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok, we may be guilty of over tipping here, but I read somewhere a few years ago that you tip a percentage of the cost of the room per night (I can't remember the percent) so we tipped $5.oo per night.

Every evening when we came back into the room we had "animals" ...a new towel animal every night....really cool :mickey:

rubato
01-13-2010, 03:34 PM
We are doing the $1 per person per day rule. My son decorated the envelopes with stickers and he wrote Mousekeeping on them. I hope we get at least one towel animal, but if not, that's okay. :mickey:

TiggerCat
01-14-2010, 07:42 PM
We usually tip $3 per day unless we ask for something special or get exceptional service when we give $5. I have to be honest that I haven't found the housekeeping to be that great over the past few years. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad but it just doesn't seem to have the little extra something that it used to have. Maybe it's just a cycle. :confused:

TC.

TheRustyScupper
01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
1) WDW housekeepers get good pay and nice pay incentives.
2) We typically do not tip them.
3) However, if we leave the place messy, we do tip.
4) I don't feel they need to go that far above-and-beyond.

NOTE: I other hotels, we do tip maids $2-$3 per night. But, in those hotels, usually the maid made pretty skimpy pay. Not at all like Disney maids.

Tink#64
01-15-2010, 12:58 AM
I usually make the tip envelopes in advance, $1 per person in the room (4), accoring to the average that I've read on these boards and I decorate with Disney stickers. In the past we've left these out each morning, and it doesn't seem to encourage towel animals or even a better mousekeeping job! I may be cynical at this point, but I think in 5 trips, a weeks stay on average, we've receieved maybe 2 or 3 towel decorations tops! Only 1 animal EVER! Our mousekeeping experience, not that great! I usually resort to hanging the do not disturb sign, I spot clean myself with the supplies I take & we open the remaining tip envelopes & add the $'s to the DS's spending kitty! Last trip, I looked at a dead fly on the bathroom floor for a couple of days, before getting to this point!

I'll try again this trip & hope for a little better service. :confused:

Jeniflower
01-15-2010, 07:31 AM
We bring envelopes and type one to 2 dollars daily, and usually the service is great and we also get towel animals. last year they even made us an angel when we left Stich and Angel cuddling in the bed. it lets them know we appreciate them I guess

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
We do the $1 per person per day and we do leave it out every day because mousekeepers can change.

tinkerbelle75
01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
We tip $5 a day. We've always had good luck with Mousekeeping, but we certainly don't tip just for the towel animals. I think some people expect too much from them. I don't know anyone who mops/vacuums/dusts/disinfects/cleans bathtub every day at their own home. If the room is clean when we get there, then the mess is our fault, not theirs. We tip because it's a nice gesture and nothing more.

tink'72
01-15-2010, 08:56 AM
We don't tip. I read somewhere once before that housekeeping at Disney get paid very well. We are also DVC members and don't get full maid service other than once during our stay. We do get clean towels and such on the 3rd day but that is it.

We also straighten up our room and make the beds prior to heading out for the day.

Other places I do tip.

MushuGrl
01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
We too are members of the $1/person club. Sometimes we get the towels, one time we came back to all the stuffed animals we bought watching Disney channel (Koda was hogging the remote.) We've had wonderful mousekeepers at POP on both occasions we stayed there - we had nice clean rooms and a treat every day when we returned from the park (last year we went out of our way to meet them ...one, my favorite, was named Indiana. The lady that came on Indiana's off day was named Georgia. Seriously. I was waiting for Tennessee and New Mexico to show up...)

Anyways...when we stayed at Carribbean Beach, we got a welcome Mickey head towel, and one day we got a dog. And that was it.

Darbylew
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
We give a one dollar for each bed each day.
Sometimes we give more. It just depends. I
think the housekeeping is good. We have never
had a problem with it.
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP NOVEMBER 2009:mickey:
NEXT TRIP MAY 2010 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
º0º º0º

fernsmommy
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
We didn't tip our last stay at All Star Movies and one day we got back from the park and Minnie and Stitch were watching TV with sunglasses on. My baby sister and my DD got a kick out that. That being said I will probably tip our next stay at CBR. It just seems fair to me. Last time we just put the do not disturb sign on most days and I spot cleaned myself, but this time I don't really want to that so I'll leave a little tip every day.

BigThunderFan
01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
To the people who have heard that mousekeeping gets paid very well, where did you hear that and how much is very well to you? $1 more than min wage? $2 more?

Disney notoriously underpays its cast members and most are very close to min wage. Many work a second or even third job just so they can afford to stay employed at WDW. They do it because they love the place and making people happy, NOT because of what they make.

Now on the other hand, mousekeeping (as well as any other cast member) are not supposed to accept gratuities (supposed to decline 3X).

Please keep this in mind when you leave your room a mess, or decide to leave your food on a table at a counter service rather than cleaning up after yourself. Cast members are just like you and me, except treated very badly by too many people who think just because they are spending so much on a trip that they are entitled to everything and don't have to treat people nicely.

Sorry about the rant, I guess I spend too much time reading posts from cast members on another site... :blush:

TheRustyScupper
01-16-2010, 01:06 PM
To the people who have heard that mousekeeping gets paid very well, where did you hear that and how much is very well to you?

1) Did not hear it - it is in the union contract.
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
. . . more than ride attendants
. . . more than front desk or concierge
. . . more than many characters
. . . more than custodial
5) WDW maids (per union contract)
. . . make up to $12.92/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's
6) Compared to mother WDW employees, maids are well paid.

brownie
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, you may not have the same housekeeper each day.

LVT
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I do not consider that good pay. In my book any personal service gets tipped. $1/day/person

DigitalDaredevil
01-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I tip them. Even though it may seem that they get paid well, it is a thankless job. It cannot be fun to clean up after others. Most people probably aren't that messy, but I can imagine some of the horror stories that are out there.

DisneyFr33k
01-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Call me stupid. We've visited WDW 5 times before I found out we could tip! I first read it here and then felt really bad! I just assumed they were paid well! And, we have never tipped maid service at any other hotel either. Goes to prove old dog can learn new tricks!

MushuGrl
01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I work for a newspaper doing graphic design, web work, and subscription managing, and that's almost $4 more an hour than I make!

I clean a mean house. I need to switch professions.