PDA

View Full Version : visiting Scotland and Germany

Tiggerlovr9000
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Can anyone tell if there is a train we can take from Scotland to Germany. Our 30th anniversary is in 3 years and my dh wants to travel overseas. He was born in Germany and stationed there when he was in the airforce. He didnt sightsee much then because he said it was no fun by himself. :( All the information on the internet is overwhelming. Its very hard to know where to start. We were thinking 3 weeks would be a fair amount of time. With the price of plane tickets and the dollar to the euro exchange definitely want to stay there as long as possible. Because odds are unless we win the lottery this will be our one and only trip there. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

SBETigg
01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a fantastic trip. I don't know anything about it, but I don't think there's a train from Scotland to Germany. Perhaps a series of transportation options. Good luck with your research.

Tink1
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Scotland is part of the UK. The UK is an island.

You can fly into Scotland, take a train into England, chunnel over to France and then take a train to Germany.

Or just fly.

Nanc

Tink1
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, and Adventures by Disney has a great Germany trip that is very popular! Yes, they are costly on the outset; but after reviewing other companies and literally tearing apart their itineraries, ABD gives much more.

I researched out an ABD Viva Italia against 7 other companies. By the time I upgraded the included hotels to a better/safer locations, adding in extra costs for optional tours that were included in ABD and roughly calculated lost time on a bus vs train and meals that were not included in the others- ABD was the same.

And if you book certain dates before 1/15 you get a free 3 day cruise on the new Dream as well.

Nanc

MNNHFLTX
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
You can undoubtedly travel by train to Germany, but I don't think on a single train (or train operator). I know you can get a Eurostar train from London to Brussels and then transfer to one of several German train operators, but am assuming that you will have to take a different train from Scotland to London (Britrail?) and connect to Eurostar at the St. Pancras station.

Sorry not to be able to help more than that. :blush:

Dznygrl79
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Its possible a bit complex but easier than US travel believe it or not, you are going to take a tain to London, than another across the channel, than find a train from France to Germany cannot at the moment remember I think its EuroStar. You can fly also from either Glasgow or Heathro but I am unsure of the price. visitscotland.com may be able to help....have a blast...if you can get to Scotland (Edinburgh) in August the Fringe Festivle is a blast!

Tiggerlovr9000
01-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Scotland is part of the UK. The UK is an island.

You can fly into Scotland, take a train into England, chunnel over to France and then take a train to Germany.

Or just fly.

Nanc

Now we know why I got F's in geography. :blush::blush: Thanks for all the posts everyone.

NJGIRL
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
We were just on the EuroStar this past Oct in Italy and it's a very nice way to travel.

LVT
01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
If you go without joining a tour, try EURRAIL pass. It has to be purchased ahead of time in USA. It is a train ticket by length of time, instead of point to point, for people who wander. The trains connect all of England, Scandinavia and main land Europe.