PDA

View Full Version : Bars in MK?

bxrluv
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
:marg: Never really had the occasion to look for a place to sit down and have a drink anywhere with little kids with us but my parents are going to meet us for a few days and my dad is already overwhelmed by the whole idea of the lines and wants to know where he can sit and have a glass of wine. I'm hoping he'll loosen up but in the meantime, I'd like to have some idea. That's easy at Epcot but not so much at MK comes to mind.

BigRedDad
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
No alcohol in the MK. Epcot, AK, and DHS all serve beer and wine.

pamickeys
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
no alcoholic beverages of any kind are for sale in MK. Walt designed it that way.

FanofTigger
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Go over to Epcot to the World Showcase UK pavilian. There is a little Pub there called the Rose & Crown. It is where I spent St Patrick's Day last year and most likely where I will be again this year. You can buy beer in Germany and wine in France.

bxrluv
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
See how much I've been paying attention? I thought that was the case but I was just never looking. Guess Grandpa will have to self medicate before he gets there and deal with it! :blush:

Figment!
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Your nearest option while at the Magic Kingdom, would be to take the Monorail to the Polynesian, Contemporary, or Grand Floridan.

The Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian is a favorite of many INTERCOTee's

See the Magic Kingdom Resort Area (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/dining/diningguide/mkresortarea.asp) section of the INTERCOT Dining Guide for details on the lounges in this area.

FanofTigger
01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Most of the resorts on site have bars. So if that is his thing there is something he can do.
I always recommend picking up the latest copy of Birnbuam. All you need to know is in there.

bxrluv
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses! I'm hoping Grandpa will get with the program and the magic of it all. I'm making it sound like he's an alcoholic. He would just rather be sitting on the patio with a glass of wine in his retirement then in line "with a bunch of screaming kids" but he has his lighter moments. Maybe he'll be the one running down Main Street with his Mickey ears on hugging on the characters. It doesn't hurt to dream?:mickey:

MidnTPK
01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
no alcoholic beverages of any kind are for sale in MK. Walt designed it that way.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Uncle Walt was not a teetotaler.

Club 33 at Disneyland was created by Walt and has always served alcohol. Disneyland has a liquor license and sometimes sets up bars for private events. I think the MK in FL has done this in the past too.

But as a matter of practicality, there's nowhere in the MK in FL that serves or sells alcohol.

SBETigg
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Mizner's Lounge in the Grand Floridian is a great place for a relaxing glass of wine- but not open until later in the day. The official listed hours are 5 pm but we have been there at three. He could also buy a single serving or half bottle at the Gasparilla Grill and sit with it overlooking the Grand Floridian marina- very relaxing. It would be a nice break from the MK if he gets tired of the running around, and very close to take the boat launch over and monorail back.

kemps@wdw
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM
As our royal server told us @ "King Stephan's Banquet Hall" (now CRT)..."the Magic Kingdom is a dry kingdom m'lady". :princess:

dumbo_buddy
01-16-2010, 09:31 AM
As our royal server told us @ "King Stephan's Banquet Hall" (now CRT)..."the Magic Kingdom is a dry kingdom m'lady". :princess:

aw, that is cute.

OP - hopefully grandpa will get with the program! (kidding!). i usually find that the biggest poo-pooers of disney tend to fall the hardest for it! when i was 13 my parents took me to WDW. they kept putting it off b/c they never wanted to go. well, almost 20 years later they go every year!

Dracula766
01-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Send Grampa over to the Poly for a Lapu Lapu. After that he won't feel a thing. :)

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Uncle Walt was not a teetotaler.

Club 33 at Disneyland was created by Walt and has always served alcohol. Disneyland has a liquor license and sometimes sets up bars for private events. I think the MK in FL has done this in the past too.

But as a matter of practicality, there's nowhere in the MK in FL that serves or sells alcohol.

Back in 1998 my employer staged the official launch of a new product at WDW and as part of the festivities held an after hours party at MK. I can assure you it was NOT dry.

A variety of beers and wines were served. :beer::wine:

brad817
01-17-2010, 09:02 AM
I've never thought about that at MK?

What about Tony's Town Square? I swear I've had a glass of wine there before. I could be mistaken though. Is Tony's dry also?

BigRedDad
01-17-2010, 09:45 AM
As others have said, there are after hour parties that are contracted where they can work with WDW to have alcohol available. During normal park hours and public operating hours, alcohol is served. DL has a private club that has alcohol. However, it is a wait list to be invited to join.

If he wants to get away, there are plenty of quick options as others have stated:

Tropical Feel: Poly pool bar and the bar out front of Ohana's

Upscale feel: Grand Floridian

Cutting edge (loosely): Contemporary

TheRustyScupper
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
The only bars in MK are Mickey [Ice Cream] Bars.

kcrc
01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Won't that change when they re-do Fantasyland? I though a pub was one of the things to be added. Or was it just a sit-down restaurant?

SillySymphony
01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
There were many things that Walt was opposed to... most of which, decorum prohibits me from mentioning on such a refined place as Intercot... But I assure you, Uncle Walt was no stranger to "spirits"...

Captain_Nemo
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Tambu Lounge at Poly is great! I got a Captain Mai Tai w/ 151 in it and it was served in a whole pineapple! dunno what it was called but it was great! also maybe try the unofficial world beer tour in WS at Epcot. start in Mexico and work your way around (or try :P) to Canada getting a drink from each country.

bxrluv
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
The only bars in MK are Mickey [Ice Cream] Bars.

We'll keep those coming too! Grandpa also likes his sweets!:mickey:

Iluvpooh
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Last year my Mom took the boat over the WL and sat at the bar at the FS restaurant there. (can't think of the name right off the top of my head) They had a wonderful all American wine list and she enjoyed it very much.

Crow
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Territory Lounge right by Artist Pt at WL that is.

ASweetLov
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
MK is a dry park

Rhetoric2000
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
There are lots of good bars and lounges at WDW - I actually sort of deliberately "did" the lounges of Disney the last time I was there.

My favourites are the Tambu lounge as previously mentioned, the Crew's Cup and Ale and Compass at the Yaught Club, Mizners at the GFR, The Tune In Lounge at DHS and, of course, the Dawa Bar at AK.

As we've established, there are no places to drink alcohol at MK - your best bet for a quiet soft drink might be the Enchanted Grove between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland or, if its open, Aunt Polly's.