PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid question, but...

BrerGnat
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
...can you bring food through the security checkpoints at airports? Stuff such as PB&J, fruit, applesauce, yogurts, crackers, etc? If so, what is allowed and what is not?

We need to buy our airfare for our LONG plane ride in March from CA to WDW. We have two (VERY PICKY) young boys, and we may have to choose a flight with a very short layover (not long enough to get food to eat). We will need to feed them at least one meal on the plane. I'm thinking of packing PB&J since it will travel well, and the boys will both eat that. There is nothing available for purchase on the plane that they would eat (besides cookies).

I haven't taken food on a plane for YEARS, so have no idea about this. :confused:

BigRedDad
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
you may want to check the TSA site. However, I think you can bring food, just not any liquids. Water, etc need to be bought from the airport past TSA. The only exception I think is medically necessary and breast milk.

BrerGnat
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I did check the TSA site, and it's not that clear. They list peanut butter as well as jelly as "things you should put in your checked baggage", but I think they mean JARS of those things...again, it's not clear.

We would have a REAL problem if we had to travel 6+ hours with nothing that my kids will eat...so I'm stressing about this.

Buying waters after security is fine. I do that all the time. I've just never seen PB&J sandwiches for sale in the concourse.

Looking for some real world feedback.

fanofdisney
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I am under the same impression food in packages but no liquids.
BigRedDad your comment on breast milk made me chuckle. "Excuse me lady you can go through but you will need to get rid of the breast milk...":silly::funny::laughing:
I do know what you meant though it just put a really funny picture in my head!

fanofdisney
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I wonder if you could bring those prepackaged pb&j by Smuckers. I completely understand, 6 hours and no food for the kiddos would be horrible! I have picky eaters too but we only have a 2 1/2 hour flight, can't imagine 6! It seems things are very unclear lately with flying with the recent happenings.

BrerGnat
01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
The smuckers uncrustables would be what I would bring. In the packaging, so the TSA agents would be certain what it was, exactly.

I tell ya...it's hard having kids with oral sensitivity issues. One is due to autism, the other to speech apraxia. Neither will eat cold cuts, non-melted cheese, tuna, or anything "slimy", like cold pasta. VERY hard to find portable meals they will eat.

DisneyDoug2
01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I fly all the time and bring sandwiches and fruit through the scanners in my carry on bag, but I would avoid anything that could be considered a liquid or paste. My wife had a 4 oz bottle of Crest toothpaste confiscated, definitely not a liquid but it was over the 3 oz rule. The PB&J’s packed in your carry on should be fine but I would avoid the apple sauce, yogurt or any other similar item.

T--
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't have personal experience with PB&J, but I find the TSA folks to be fairly reasonable. I fly 200 times a year.
Try following the rules of the 1 Qt. plastic bags. 1 for each traveler. Cram a few sammies in each bag and pull them out and put them in the provided bowl as you put your carry ons on the conveyor. If you have liquids and gels, put those in your checked baggage and use your 1 qt. ziploc bag allocation for food that your kids will eat.

Also any documentation from a medical professional will allow them to help you out any way they can.

TSA has rules to follow, but they're after bad guys, not us.

Trent

beksy
01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
If all else fails, I know I have bought the uncrustables for my flight after I passed through securtiy (for a very inflated price of course!). There are other packaged foods like that you can buy too but I hope you can do the carry-on without a problem. I've never tried it--getting a sister with social anxiety issues and a parent in a wheelchair through security is enough of a challenge for me!

BrerGnat
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will try the Uncrustables. I will also pack a bunch of snacks like Cliff Bars, and other sustaining foods, just in case. I know for sure there are no Uncrustables available for purchase after passing through secuirty at our local airport (we fly out of the smaller Orange County airport, and all they have is Starbucks and McDonalds, plus the newsstand that only sells drinks and non-perishable food items.)

Hopefully we can get a flight with a longer layover and as long as the terminal offers at least pizza, burgers, or chicken nuggets, we're in business! ;)

Just trying to plan for the other scenario.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I've brought breakfast bars through in my check in with no problems. You should be fine with PB&J.