PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy Luggage?

BrerGnat
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Need some help. We need new luggage. Our current set is 10 years old. We paid around $130 for it (4pc set) at Target. It has been AMAZING! I'm shocked it has lasted this long. However, the zippers on the two largest bags are very close to failure, and we have a WDW trip coming up that I do NOT want to end up needing new luggage during.

So, we're in the market for a new set. I have looked at what is available at Target and it is very shoddy stuff. They don't make cheap luggage like they used to. ;)

I'm okay spending $300-500 for some luggage, but not more than that, as I've seen what happens when people spend lots of money on luggage... I don't want to be upset if my bags get mauled. But, I'd like them to withstand the amount of abuse they will encounter too.

So, where to shop? Macy's? Costco? Online? Where is the best stuff located?

Also, what brands are the best, and what should I stay away from?

Finally, can anyone offer input on hard shell vs. soft shell? We have soft luggage now, but the idea of hardshell luggage is appealing, especially when transporting potentially breakable stuff and/or items that you don't want squished.

Loweschevy
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
This really is a tough thing to consider. You do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on luggage that is going to fall apart or buy something cheap and end up replacing it over and over again either.

We travel 4-5 times a year, so we have gone through many sets of luggage. We like to stick to Samsonite or American Tourister-their bags tend to be very well made and sturdy and have lasted for several years. Macy's and other larger department stores like Dillard's always have a nice selection of luggage. They run a lot of coupons every week so watch for some that can be used on luggage and bags.

We had hardshell bags before and the one disadvantage is the space. They are not very forgiving, but they do limit the weight of your bag contents. However the hardshell bags can weigh alot more than soft sided bags. With the bag limit being 50lbs. that is something you need to consider especially if the bags weigh 10 lbs. unpacked.

When purchasing look at the construction of the bags-is the zipper heavy duty or is it kinda wimpy? Does the bag have a strong thick woven material or is it thinner and prone to easy wear or ripping. Check the pop up handles-are they heay duty and slide up and down smoothly or do they stick and look like thin cheap plastic.

These bags are going to get beat up. It is pretty inevitable there probably will be scatches, scuffs and water stains on your bags. Thats why the more heavy duty the outer shell material, the safer your possesions may be.

Our current luggage set is Samsonite swiveling bags. They are grey and have the wheels that spin 360 degrees making them very easy to move. They are also smaller about 24-28 inches tall. This helps us keep the weight down around the 50 lb. threshold on our clothing.

I hope this is helps you, good luck

faline
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Additionally, keep in mind that hard-sided luggage takes up more storage space in your temporary home than does soft sided luggage.

Madame Leona
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I would keep an eye out for Macy's having a big sale. I hit the luggage sale right before Christmas and bought my aunt a small luggage set for $29.99 (regularly $130.00). I would also check your local outlet mall for luggage stores. I've seen some fairly decent prices at the Totes Outlet and the Samsonite company store. I'm still using my Target luggage as well and it has held up beautifully.

BrerGnat
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Additionally, keep in mind that hard-sided luggage takes up more storage space in your temporary home than does soft sided luggage.

Good point! We have little storage space at home too...

laprana
01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I agree with the PP, I think Samsonite is a good quality brand that will last you a long time. Plus, it's a common brand that you can find at a lot of places like department stores and online. I have a Samsonite 29" spinner suitcase and it is great! The 4 wheels make it really easy to move around. I was worried about how heavy it would be since it's pretty big, but even for 11-night trips I have always been under the 50-pound weight limit.

One place you might look is the website ebags. They have a huge selection and decent prices, from what research I did when looking for my current suitcase. I think they offer free shipping a lot of the time, too. Plus, if you do a search for ebags coupons, you can usually find several! I got my mom a CalPak set of luggage from there at a great price. She's only had it for about a year, but so far it's holding up well. I don't know much about that brand, though, and how durable it is in the long run. She wanted it purely for cosmetic reasons - it's red with white polka dots! :D

Gator
01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
If you have Burlington Coat Factories in your area, they always have a HUGE selection of luggage and always at a good price. I got a really nice set with 2 large pieces, 2 carry ons, a duffle and some other stuff for just $50.

Also, I'd go with soft over hard. The hard shells weigh more, which means you can put less in there. Why? Ever pay the fee when your suitcase is over 50 lbs. You don't want to. Trust me.

Buttercup
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree softsided bags are easier to store and they're more 'stretchy' so you can cram more in.
But I was under the impression that the Heys brand hard shell ones are actually *less* weight than a typical canvas suitcase. :confused: Or maybe I just believed their ad campaign! :D

BigRedDad
01-12-2010, 07:36 PM
If you travel a lot, buy the cheapest luggage you can find. The reason is that it is man handled by the grounds crew. It will get destroyed eventually and guess what? Airlines are only responsible for the depreciation price on luggage. In many cases, it is 12 months depreciation life. Therefore, you have to have proof of when you purchased it, how much you purchased it for, and then they only pay the remaining depreciation on it if it is less than a year.

If you do not have the original sales receipt, you are SOL. Airlines do not accept a credit card statement as proof of purchase. In the end, you will spend far more in your time than any settlement you will get out of an airline for damaged luggage.

If you have Kohl's watch for their BOGO sales. Macy's has a the $30 sets now and then. I got our two sets from there. First trip, the big suitcase was damaged.

Things to help you in case you get the "damaged" or "lost" luggage. Take pictures of everything that is in it right before you give the bags to them, take pictures of all sides of the bag. Then, you have picture proof of what they did.

BrerGnat
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd honestly never file a damaged bag claim. I understand fully that these bags go through some major manhandling. It's really an issue of "oh well...it happens." IMO

I don't want to spend so much that I'd care at ALL if a bag got damaged. I would NOT like for my zipper to split open mid-trip, though (happened to my sister last year at WDW with a brand new "cheapie" bag from Target). Or, for the telescoping handle to snap off.

Willing to spend *a bit* more to get decent quality. We don't travel often (by air). Once a year, usually.

BMan62
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Don't know why, but every piece of luggage I own gets the pull 'fobs' broken off!!!!

Other than that, I have never had a problem caused by baggage handlers.

Tink#64
01-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I have to agree with BigRedDad here! We've filed several claims with Delta! They've virtually destroyed a couple of our soft sided bags! We have about 10, with some from Target & several rom Value City. I will never buy expensive luggage! Once on a business trip Delta broke the handle off my briefcase! (Don't ask me why I even checked it - it was ion's ago, apparently back in the prehistoric age - before they charged 2 arms & 1 leg for each checked bag!) One trip to WDW, they managed to do so much damage to the suitcase that it broke - in half - the wooden gun one of my DS's got from the IJ show as a souvenear, and that was a thick, solid piece of wood! (On a side note, when I called WDW to see if I could purchase one over the ohne, they replaced it for free! Even though I was very specific about the fact that it was the airline that had broken it! :number1:)

Long story - shorter! Delta has rendered several pieces of our luggage useless, we've filed claims & they replaced all but one. So I would never recommend buying expensive luggage, because they replace with what they deem to be a similar item. We've come out ok, but if you had truly expensive luggage, you may be unhappy with the replacement! Particularly if part of a matching set! (Some of our was!)

The part I love is that they always give you this incredulous look when you go to file a claim! What? As if!? :confused:

badkitty
01-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I have found great deals on luggage at Ross and TJMaxx if you have these stores in your area.

Bellerella
01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
For our most recent trip, we bought all of our luggage at TJ Maxx and Ross. They had really great stuff for fairly cheap, which was awesome! I got a nice carry on suitcase for $60, and is was originally about $115 I believe. I don't remember the prices of the checked in luggage, but if you have either of those stores, it could be a place to look! :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
If you have a bit of time to look, TJ Maxx can have some great luggage at good prices. But, you might not find what you want the first time (or at the first store), so be prepared to go back a couple of times.

debandbub
01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
I bought luggage from the Disney Store (online) a few years ago. It was three pieces- a big one, a smaller one and a duffle bag. The luggage pieces all have 360 degree wheels. It's tan with a subtle classic mickey design. I love it! It's held up pretty well with a few plane trips and several car trips. I think I got it all for about 120.00.

In my dreams
01-23-2010, 05:03 PM
If you don't live near any of the previously mentioned stores, look online at E-Bags.com. I bought an entire set quite a few years ago (London Fog brand) and it's still holding up nicely. Come to think of it, I bought my daughter a set of luggage from them, also (American Tourist).

joonyer
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Most big outlet centers have a name brand luggage store, and you can find some good values on good quality stuff there. But for the best pricing, I'd shop online. You can compare prices instantly and usually find free shipping offers.

DisneyWFan
02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
I got my luggage set ("the Big One")from Kohls and it has held up very well you can get it online the 5 piece set runs for about $75 on sale the 7 piece set runs for about $90 on sale :thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Watch your Target ads and check BigLots (if one's in your area).