PDA

View Full Version : Two Rooms at Moderate Vs FW Cabins

eandrsmom
01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
We are planning a trip for next spring. Since my youngest will be over the age of three, we will be considered a family of six. I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to go. We've always stayed at the Deluxe resorts, and are spoiled. However, I do not want to spend $$$$$ for two rooms at a deluxe. I'm trying to get opinions of wheter to go with two rooms at a moderate, or a cabin at FW. I've heard that we'd have to rent a golf cart at FW to get around. How many people will fit in a cart, how much is it to rent a cart? We have heard that POR FQ is a good option, but hear that they don't have a TS resaurant, which is something that we would want. Any help would be appreciated!

BigRedDad
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
The golf cart is about $50 per day. 6 people cannot ride in it so multiple trips would be required. I have read that there are external companies that rent them as well, drop them off, and pick them up. I would stay at the Cabins at least once. You have a full bed for one adult and one child, another murphy full bed for another adult and child. Then the bunk beds for 2 other children. You may be able to fit an air mattress in as well.

ayeckley
01-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Lots of us feel that a golf cart isn't really necessary at FW. Our family of five (including an infant in a stroller) has stayed in the cabins as well as at campsites without ever renting one. The internal bus sytem is more than adequate to get you where you need to go, as long as you don't need to be there RIGHT THIS SECOND, and if nobody in your party has mobility issues.

I do believe that the external golf cart rental companies do have six person carts. There have been some shake-ups lately related to WDW allowing those rental providers onto property, so that may not be an option anymore.

For us, we're more likely to stay in the cabins at this point rather than rent two moderate rooms (or even two value rooms for that matter). There's a lot of potential cost savings associated with having your own kitchen (which the cabins all include). I'd recommend hopping over to the "Disney Camping" section of this site, where any FW questions you have will probably be answered quickly.

LVT
01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
There are family suites in one of the value resorts. 2 bathrooms and a kitchen would sway me.

KatMark
01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
My choice would be two rooms at the Coronado -- queen beds, great pool, food court, grab & go, sit down restaurant, full service room service, fitness center/spa, sand volleyball, largest hot tub of all the moderates.

Touchdown
01-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Also, if you are used to the deluxe rooms, check out the DVC units. They are huge, Ive always gone as a group of 5, and we always stay at OKW in a 2br. Its like renting a condo.

betholtmans
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
2 rooms at Coronado would work well, only moderate with queen beds, very nice resort, and you can get connecting rooms!:mickey:

tdk316
01-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I second the suggestion to looking into either renting DVC points or booking a stay through Disney at a DVC property. OKW is economical, but you can't beat BLT's proximity to the MK! I've done both (renting and booking through Disney) and would highly recommend staying in a villa instead of renting two rooms. In case you're wondering, I'm not a DVC member.

For comparison, we were able to find rates at BLT (one-bedroom in 12/09, two-bedroom in 10/10) that were cheaper than staying at the Poly. :mickey:

tdk316
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Just wanted to add that we had looked at the FW cabins as an option before deciding upon BLT but with two young kids (both under 3 at the time) there was no way I was doing that much walking with a stroller and all of their stuff, let alone trying to shove it all into a golf cart?!

eandrsmom
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've read some mixed reviews about BLT. I've read that everything is located in the main building at the Contemporary, which can be cumbersome. (Check-in, restaurants, concierge, etc.) Did you find this to be the case?

tdk316
01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
It really wasn't an issue for us. We normally stay at moderates, but have stayed at WL and BC and found that the walk to the bus, cafe, etc. was longer at all those resorts than it was at BLT. Obviously it'll depend upon where your room is, but overall check-in and out went smoothly, and it wasn't a big deal getting to the transportation.

However, I did send two packages to the resort and because it is considered a convention resort I had to pay $20 to get them delivered to our room; that was my biggest beef with the place.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me - we're planning on staying there again in October!

eandrsmom
01-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I would have a problem with that too. Especially since the DVC properties are sold at a premium price. We use the package delivery from the gift shops quite often during our stays. It's always been an advantage of staying on Disney property.

Bubbie Girl
01-16-2010, 11:02 PM
We are also a family of 5 and a toddler going this July. We were also thinking of staying in the Cabins or 2 rooms in a Moderate. We love to stay at the Polynesian but decided to go for the 2 rooms a the CBR. What made us choose this was the idea of 2 complete bathrooms and the fact we can put the little one to bed and our 3 older kids can have 1 of the rooms and come and go as they want and not bother him. We decided the extra room was a good idea. Cost wise all 3 were choices were very close. I did think the cabins looked very nice though but by the time we added on the golf cart it was expensive I thought. Good Luck with your decision

PetefromRI
01-17-2010, 10:33 AM
We stayed in the cabins,wow,almost 20 years ago and they were nice but the resort is really huge,we depended only on the buses,and we just didn't get the Disney vibe that I get from the other resorts.2 rooms at Coronado with the queen beds would be cool but you may have to walk a bit.It had the best and most relaxing pool area.We liked it much better than Storm Along Bay and the resort is more deluxe than moderate.Pepper Market is a little pricey but we love it and the quiet pools are really nice.Check out Buzz2001 website.It's dedicated to the Coronado.