PDA

View Full Version : Delta Raises Baggage Charges

BMan62
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
(CNN) -- Checking in luggage on Delta Air Lines is about to cost passengers even more, starting Tuesday.

Passengers paying online for checked bags will be charged $23 for the first bag and $32 for the second -- an $8 and $7 increase from current rates, respectively.

Those checking in bags at the airport will shell out even more: $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second.

The new rates apply to tickets purchased on or after January 5. Passengers who bought tickets before that date will pay the old rates, Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott said.

Some passengers -- such as first-class fliers, some frequent fliers and military personnel on deployment -- are exempt from most checked-luggage fees.

Delta's luggage fees now are among the highest in the industry. US Airways also charges $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second checked bag when checked in at the airport. Online, the airline charges $20 and $30 for the first and second bags.

United Airlines charges $20 for the first checked bag and $30 for the second bag at the airport and $15 and $25 online for the first and second bag, respectively.

Most major air carriers started charged checked-bag fees in 2008.

Just an FYI

faline
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks - I think!

I'm so tired of trying to figure the real cost of the ticket when I have to figure out how many bags I'll be brining and add the cost of those bags to my fare! Even though I'm not a big fan of Southwest's open seating system, I'm far more likely to add the $10 per person (known cost and easy to figure) for Early Bird check-in.

BigRedDad
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought I had a deal on a flight with Allegiant at $40 per person one way. Add $20 for fees/taxes, $50 for two bags and I am at the price of SW. I prefer SW because the other airport is 90 minutes away.

ThanxForNoticin
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
These baggage fees just really, really irritate me. Probably 90% of the people who fly need to check at least one bag. To essentially tax or penalize passengers for needing that bag or two is ridiculous -- and it's mostly under the guise of making their fares look lower. And now, instead of increasing their fares (which, by the way, I'm not sure Delta hasn't also done anyway recently), they add to the cost for checking bags.

Oh well, at the very least, I know I have a choice. Personally, I won't fly these airlines that charge ridiculous amounts of money for my checked bags - not unless there is absolutely positively no other way to get to where I'm going. And have you noticed what kind of luggage people are now being allowed to bring on the plane as 'carry on', in an effort to save baggage fees? It's a crazy system.

NotaGeek
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
It's only a matter of time before all the rest of the money grubbing airlines follow suit. Ugh ... I really think this model of passing off fees to customers to add revenue is bogus. I am a staunch supporter of Southwest Airlines now ... I never used to be -- but I will give my money to the company that actually understands its customers!

DizneyRox
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I've said it before, as far as I'm concerned, Southwest.com is the only place I look for airfare these days. Heck, I don't really know if I am paying the lowest price, but I like their attitude and they way they do business and don't feel guilty rewarding them for it.

Delta lost me when they started moving flights. If it weren't for the frequent complaints about them here, I wouldn't even know they were still in business.

How people put up with these fees is beyond me. I guess that's what happens when you complain to yourself but let it die there. Make the switch people.. Not necessarily to SW, but without voting with your wallet, corporate america ain't going to make any changes...

RBrooksC
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Bags Fly Free on Southwest! It's On!

Other airlines are going to nickle and dime their passengers to death because they do not operate on a low cost model.

This raising of fees is going to be the norm going forward.

brad192
01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
As soon as that incredible jet fuel deal Southwest arranged ends, they'll start charging just like eveyone else. Don't know how long it's got to go, but it'll end eventually...:(

RBrooksC
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
As soon as that incredible jet fuel deal Southwest arranged ends, they'll start charging just like eveyone else. Don't know how long it's got to go, but it'll end eventually...:(

Don't count on that. SWA has made money off their NOT charging fees. Other revenue sources can be found without nickle and diming passengers for things that were once taken for granted.

BigThunderFan
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Don't count on that. SWA has made money off their NOT charging fees. Other revenue sources can be found without nickle and diming passengers for things that were once taken for granted.

True, however SWA has increased costs as their oil futures have begun expiring. This was the only reason they were able to keep such low fares for the last couple years while others were paying for the high oil costs. (Thanks speculators again for driving gas up to $3 a gallon)

But now SWA is also one of the leading companies in finding ways to make their planes more fuel efficient and they pass this on to the customer. Simple things like slowing down the cruise speed on a flight. This may cause the flight to last a few minutes longer but is saving millions in fuel costs. As well as those funny wing tips that curve up. My dad would know what they were called, but anyway they supposedly make the plane more fuel efficient too.

Now if I could only find some of those for my Civic...

Tink#64
01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up BMan62! I'm starting to get a headache & as Faline said, not only looking at the airlines fares, but then adding to that the checked bag costs! I have to have an excel spreadsheet to be able to do the comparisons! :bang: It's really annoying! I'm watching SW right now & I'm on the edge! The rates are higher than we've ever paid, but look good compared to everyone else - especially when you know you are a family of 4 that is definitely going to have checked bags! This is a royal pain in my planning! :mad: I'm ready for the fun part! :party:

Genie1953
01-13-2010, 12:07 AM
We are flying Southwest from Kansas City to Orlando in April for just $165 for each round trip ticket and that includes early bird checkin both ways and also all fees. We also love it that they allow 2 checked bags at no extra charge. Whe we first booked the flights back in October the prices were $316 for each round trip ticket, however I kept close watch on the prices for our flights and everytime they dropped the prices I called Southwest and had price adjustments made. They do not refund your money but they do give you credit so we now have $302 in credit and are planning a trip back east to visit family later this summer.

CanadianWDWFan
01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
They already are charging you for it they just hide it better. The price that they give you is the combined price. The other carriers are just giving you "options".

Right now most prices that I have checked out, SWA is more expensive by the cost of checked baggage. I think that it is a great marketing ploy by SWA. They do seem to be the smartest of the bunch right now.

Using the price of oil as an excuse is the oldest trick in the airlines vocabulary. The airlines are taking in MILLIONS on all of these "extra" fees that they offer.

Ed
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I thought I had a deal on a flight with Allegiant at $40 per person one way. Add $20 for fees/taxes, $50 for two bags and I am at the price of SW. I prefer SW because the other airport is 90 minutes away.

Allegiant will be operating some flights through Orlando International (MCO) starting in February; some of their flights will still be going through Orlando Sanford Int'l (SFB).

...but I will give my money to the company that actually understands its customers!

:ditto:

But now SWA is also one of the leading companies in finding ways to make their planes more fuel efficient and they pass this on to the customer. ...As well as those funny wing tips that curve up. My dad would know what they were called, but anyway they supposedly make the plane more fuel efficient too.

Winglets. SWA led the way in adding these to their fleet; now they're showing up on other airlines' planes as well. They significantly increase the lift on the wings, thus achieving better performance while using less fuel.

You should have seen the look on my daughter's face when I told her that the wings got that way from pilots making terrible landings, causing the wings to hit the ground and bend up the ends. :D

ThanxForNoticin
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
They already are charging you for it they just hide it better. The price that they give you is the combined price. The other carriers are just giving you "options".

Right now most prices that I have checked out, SWA is more expensive by the cost of checked baggage. I think that it is a great marketing ploy by SWA. They do seem to be the smartest of the bunch right now.

Sorry, but we fly a lot and check SW fares often, and I haven't seen what you are saying. They are definitely competitive with their fares - before we get to the baggage fees with other airlines. They also do some other things so much better than the other airlines - like they hardly ever change the flight times on you and they don't charge penalties if you have to change or cancel a flight.

They are clearly one of the 2 or 3 leaders in the industry now - but Southwest has been near the top for at least the past 20-25 years. Someone there has run things well for a long time. We try to fly with them whenever we can. These baggage fees with other airlines just makes our decision that much easier.

Rekenna
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
My DH and I just booked a trip to WDW for late Feb-we got a good deal on the hotel and the airfare, but....

I have always used ME when flying to Orlando and I never realized what a savings that was-$66 for Mears shuttle for 2 RT. We can't use it this time b/c we are staying at the Dolphin-which I am way excited about!

And, I was completely naive about baggage fees. The last time we flew was on SW last year and no baggage fees and then before we flew AirTran (I loved AirTran until I just saw that they had baggage fees as well, only $15 right now-but I'm sure that will change.)

We are getting to fly out of Cincinnati, which is only 20 minutes from us, vs. Louisville (1.5 hrs away) and Dayton (1.5 hrs away). I was so super excited about our trip (I still am, just a little bummed) with all these extra fees. We will try to carry on-we are just going for a long weekend for just the 2 of us.

However when we go down as a family (there are 5 of us) there is no way we can fly-maybe ever again. What with tickets, airfare, parking at the airport, etc. Our last trip when we drove was long (15 hours) but, we had a good time, and I could pack as much as I wanted for 5 people and we had our car at the parks. We drove straight through and had meals both ways, I know we spent less than $500-which would have been the cost for 1.5 air tickets.

Thanks for the info from everyone!:mickey:

Rekenna
01-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Maybe we should all just move and work at WDW! We would save a ton of $$$$$!!!!:mickey:

Rekenna
01-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Guys, forgive my stupidity...but, are these charges each way on a RT ticket?

lindique
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Guys, forgive my stupidity...but, are these charges each way on a RT ticket?
Yup, sure are!! (Not a stupid question.)

Rekenna
01-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Yup, sure are!! (Not a stupid question.)

Holy Toledo! Wow, I guess we are never flying again. The great deal I got for this trip is slowly turning into a clunker.:(

Still excited though, can't keep me down!:mickey:

We will just HAVE TO CARRY-ON (pun intended!):mickey:

PetefromRI
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Since we don't have children at home anymore and it's just the wife and I,we have learned to use 1 carryon each.We do laundry on about the 4th day and it costs us about 6.00.That's alot cheaper than checked luggage and we don't have to stand in those lines at the airport.

RBrooksC
01-14-2010, 09:18 AM
"My dad would know what they were called, but anyway they supposedly make the plane more fuel efficient too"

They are called "Winglets." If you want an idea on how they help with fuel efficiency, here is what they can do for a SWA flight. A 737 without winglets cannot take off from ISP on Long Island and fly to LAS nonstop. If you use a plane with winglets, that same flight can now fly nonstop from ISP to LAS.

BMan62
01-19-2010, 06:54 PM
American raises checked-bag fees
By Marnie Hunter, CNN
January 19, 2010 1:40 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- American Airlines has joined its competitors in raising checked luggage fees.

The airline announced Monday it would charge $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second. American is the last major legacy carrier to join in a wave of baggage fee increases that Delta Air Lines initiated earlier this month.

The changes are effective for tickets purchased on or after February 1 for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Delta, United and Continental airlines, and US Airways all are charging $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second bag checked in at the airport. Passengers who check in online on those four airlines will pay $23 for the first bag and $32 for the second. American does not offer online check-in.

About 25 percent of American's domestic passengers pay checked bag fees, according to the airline's announcement.

Some passengers -- such as first-class fliers, some frequent fliers and military personnel on deployment -- are exempt from most checked-luggage fees.

Most major air carriers started adding checked-bag fees in 2008. The airlines reported collecting nearly $740 million in baggage fees in the third quarter of 2009, according to U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

On discount carrier Southwest Airlines, the first and second checked bags are free. JetBlue offers a free first checked bag and charges $30 for the second.

Update with other carrier baggage charges.

javamama
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
As of yesterday I think most of the carriers joined in. They stopped raising fares, and raised baggage fees, trust me as an employee we would rather the fares go up than the baggage fees also. Mgmnt makes the calls, so this is what happens IMO it's pretty dumb what happens is carryon baggage gets out of hand, and we end up checking bags onboard and taking delays---crazy!!

bouncer
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Call me crazy but wouldn't make more sense to charge the frequent fliers & first class the baggage fees rather than the average person who can't afford it?!?

NotaGeek
01-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Call me crazy but wouldn't make more sense to charge the frequent fliers & first class the baggage fees rather than the average person who can't afford it?!?
The higher tier of frequent flyers are using the airline at least 100,000 miles a year -- which is A LOT of money, and first class tickets are up to 3 or 4 times as much as coach ... so technically, no. One-off flyers and those stuck n coach 2x a year don't mean as much as those people that fly several times a month or who fork out the bucks for a 1st class seat. The airline wants to keep the real frequent flyers and 1st class cabin happy, everyone else can squeeze in back and share water out of a squeeze bottle. :)

DizneyRox
01-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Money talks... That's life...

You don't aggrivate your best customers with these nickle and dime tactics, you keep them happy so they spend more money, unless you're Disney.

In the end, a 1st class passenger gets to the same destination at the same time as someone in coach. Yet they spend considerably more than the person in coach. Don't rock the boat.

Why Disney doesn't follow this, I'm not sure, but they seem to be able to get away with it (ie. DVC). Airlines, not so much.

QTPie68
01-22-2010, 12:11 AM
For my trip in April, my ticket to Orlando on SW it cost as much as the other airlines would charge me for my 2 bags!!! I was lucky enough to just "check" right when an internet DING fare came up. I checked other airlines and could not believe the checked baggage rates on top of the airfares.

This is probably why we always seem to end up on Southwest :thumbsup:

LVT
01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't understand the fee system either. Changing to carry-on does not alter the weight of the items we take. I would say charge by total weight of person and all of their stuff. Families
could get by with the smallest tot have the most
weight in stuff. (People with massive carry-ons appear to be cheating. ) I don't get it.