PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll Steps Down at USC

indytraveler
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Any USC fans out here?
My first reaction to this news was, why would he take the Seahawks job? Obviously its more money, but what else?
The NCAA must be closing in fairly fast with the football program. All these allegations have been sitting around the program for the last couple of years must be coming to a head. Instead of being fired or embarrassed you will leave the program in John Calipari style. Way to go! It was a pretty impressive 9 year run though. "pro" athletes vs. college kids.
Don't tell me you like challenges because there were bigger challenges offered to you the last few years you could have taken but instead you remained at USC.
It's about the money and getting out before your name is spoiled. What's the line about sinking ships? Who leaves first?

gueli
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I am a Pete Carrol fan.
Have been since before the Jets ran him out of town.
It is possible that some of these allegations are true, and that the NCAA would/will sanction USC.
As for his name being tarnished - I do not think so.
He led USC to play great football. He coached them at a pro level- just look how many PLAYERS are now starters in the NFL (I am not just talking QB's here). If you went to USC during his reign, you were taught how to play professional football- by a guy who is passionate for the game.
Sinking ship - NCAA aside, I do not know if this is a true thing, as with him gone, USC football program will suffer greatly- especially if he takes as many coaches with him as is rumored...

Why now- Full Football control. He can help pick GM,etc, he gets presidents title. He could be running the whole deal- just like he did at USC. I do not think any of the other coaching possibilites presented him with this type of responsibility- plus he believes in his system, knows it will take time & the right players to get there - and does not want a rerun of Jets- 1 year & gone, or pats 3 years (or was it 2). He needs time to establish his game plan, with his players. He obviosly has an eye for talent.

:)

WDWfanatic742
01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Going to include Kiffin here as well. Best line out of the few stories I've read about the move:

Paris Hilton has paid more dues than Lane Kiffin

As a proud :gator: fan, I'd just say to him don't let the door hit you on your way out of the SEC :thumbsup: