PDA

View Full Version : Will I be disappointed?

tinkerbelle75
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I booked AKL before POR for our split-stay trip (in less than 2 weeks!!:cloud9:), but now I am wondering if I will be disappointed in POR after staying at AKL. Any thoughts?

NotaGeek
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I booked AKL before POR for our split-stay trip (in less than 2 weeks!!:cloud9:), but now I am wondering if I will be disappointed in POR after staying at AKL. Any thoughts?
Yeah probably. You're going from a Deluxe to a Moderate. POR is great, I have stayed there, but you can't really compare it to one of the deluxe resorts.

I suppose "disappointment" depends on you and what type of traveler you are ... I was with a group and we had 1 night in a 2 bedroom villa at WL thanks to a friends leftover points ... then we moved to CSR for 5 days ... we didn't feel disappointment, but that big room with all the cool stuff sure was nice!

kakn7294
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Personally, I'd probably enjoy POR more than AKL but that's personal taste. AKL just doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't be disappointed at all but it depends on what you are looking for in a resort. We don't spend much time at ours and other than the food and the pool, we don't use any of the extra amentities - and we can always just travel to any of the resorts for the restaurants.

Buttercup
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I doubt you'll be disappointed - I know I wouldn't be. I've never stayed at AKL but I can't see myself being able to find anything wrong with POR.

Major differences? POR has exterior corridors, as opposed to interior hallways like at AKL. The rooms are slightly smaller but still quite roomy (there are 4 in my family and POR was plenty big enough for us). I like how POR is sprawling with lots of quiet pathways and nooks & crannies to explore.

I think you've made an excellent choice.

crltkcagle
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Your in Disney World! Who cares about the room! LOL THe only major difference may be the bus situation.

tinkerbelle75
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
The last time we went, we stayed at YC. I liked it, but I actually like (gasp!) CBR better, with the exception of the boat to EPCOT. We have been out to POR and it's absolutely gorgeous, but we've never stayed there. Ditto for AKL.

cheeky monkey
01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
We loved POR. THe only reason we would upgrade right now would be to stay at a monorail resort. We visited AKL and loved the resturants and the animals it's a beautiful resort.

CaptSmee
01-12-2010, 12:31 AM
There's no comparison between the 2 resorts. I would be sure to enjoy your time at AKL! It's 1 of the best resorts in the land.

BMan62
01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
You WILL be disappointed IF you expect to be. Go into it as though you are making two separate stays and appreciate each for what it is. Go in with an open mind.

Personally, I don't believe that what you get for the price difference is that great in favor of the Deluxe. I prefer a serviceable room with few 'creature comforts' as I have no intention of being there for very long.

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Ian
01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I think you'll be able to find enough positives that POR has over AKL that it won't be an issue.

First of all AKL is gorgeous, but POR is beautiful in its own way. They're different, but equally visually appealing resorts. Of course, POR doesn't have giraffes eating outside your room window, but that's the only major difference. ;)

Also, as far as the rooms go, I don't think you'll notice much difference at all. They're not really all that dissimilar in actuality. The AKL rooms are tied for the smallest of any deluxe resort with WL. They're 344 square feet vs. 314 square feet at POR. The amenities are basically the same.

And, IMO at least, POR has some serious advantages over AKL when it comes to location and busses.

I'd put any worries out of your mind. I think you'll find something to love at each of the resorts! :thumbsup:

fielin
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, my first trip to WDW, I spent 3 nights at POP, then 2 nights at AKL, and 4 nights at POFQ.

My favorite resort was... POFQ.

I was not disappointed at all. I loved AKL, but I felt that I had seen most of it by the time I left. Animal watching from my room was fun, but walking around the beautiful POR/POFQ property was even better.

The rooms did not feel smaller. Thanks to the beautiful landscaping, I would even say that, strangely, we felt we had more space at POFQ.

TheRustyScupper
01-12-2010, 04:18 PM
1) Tough to tell.
2) Everyone has a different tolerance.
3) But, you will still enjoy it.

NOTE: The saying is, "The only expectation that never disappoints is the view from the rim of the Grand Canyon".

#1donaldfan
01-13-2010, 12:13 PM
No, I doubt it, unless, (like said earlier) you want to be....

...your at Disney
....stil on vacation
......seldom in the room
.........no problem

WelshieLover
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
One trip we spilt AS Sports and WL. Our travel agent said to go from the value to the deluxe not the other way around, and we are glad we did. You are going from a deluxe to a moderate so it may not be disappointing at all. Especially if you look at the positives of POR. I think the boat to Downtown Disney is a huge plus. There are so many food and shopping options there. Also the atmosphere at POR is so nice. I don't think you need to worry. Each resort has its postives.

andreallybadeggs
01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
We once stayed at the Poly and then moved for our last night to ASMu so from deluxe to value. I was thinking we should have done it the other way around and probably would if given that choice again. On the other hand it was a little easier to head home from ASMu than it would have been from Poly so perhaps it wasn't such a bad move after all-- sort of a weaning process. Leaving Disney is never easy no matter what the accommodations. Both resorts are great; have a fabulous trip.

missymouseworld
01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
We stayed at AKL one year before we started staying at POR....we were not let down at all. It depends on what you are at Disney for....the parks mainly or are you looking forward to spending more time enjoying the resort? We liked AKL, but our whole family really liked the comfortable feeling at POR. The walkways to our room and to the pool and food area was always relaxing and beautiful. When you walk thru the AKL to get to the pool and restaurants, it is inside the building mainly.

I think you will enjoy both for what they offer separately.

mom2morgan
01-13-2010, 10:23 PM
When we do a split stay, we plan to do the moderate first and then the deluxe because we know that there is a distince step "up". That said - if you go in KNOWING that it will be a different - and less "elaborate" - experience, I don't think you'll be disappointed. POR has a charm all its own. Now, one thing I might suggest - if you are planning to spend a whole day hanging around the resort, you might prefer to do it at AKL. But POR also has the fishing, the boat to DTD, etc. (we're going to do CBR and AKL. Never stayed at either and never even BEEN to CBR, so we're really not sure if we'll like it!)

Hannah & Ryan
01-14-2010, 02:52 AM
I agree, I don't think you would be disappointed. You're aware of the differences between the two, right? Every resort has its own charm. You'll enjoy it!

Although I must say...we're doing a split stay (in less than 2 weeks, too). We do the moderate first (POR), then we're going off-site (Cane Island Resort) and then the Deluxe (GF), to end our WDW-holiday with a 'bang'.

TiggerCat
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
It's all relative to the preferences of the individual. Personnally, I always prefer to stay in the same resort for my entire vacation but that's because I'm lazy. As for the resorts, I love them both. Just remember, even a bad day at a Disney Resort still beats a good day almost anywhere else. :thumbsup:

tnpoohbear
01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Two years ago we did three nights at the GF and then three nights at POR. We were not disappointed, the GF is lovely but so is POR just in different ways. We have also stayed several times at AKL and it is probably my favorite of all the resorts!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Hmmm...We went from Pirate rooms at CBR to POR and I was disappointed--probably because I just hated to leave CBR. Of course this was moderate to moderate...I just wasn't that stirred up about POR in the first place because it's all too familiar! I loved AKL, and will always have a hard time leaving it. So maybe it's more about the leaving than the disappointment in the second place...

grumpydude
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
POR will not disappoint!:thumbsup:

JWB3
01-22-2010, 10:04 AM
We've stayed at both and preferred POR:
- Love the spread out grounds, vegetation, atmosphere, etc
- boat to DTD
- main pool and quiet pools - great for hopping one to the other
- carriage ride
- entertainment in POR and POFQ lounge
- price differential

Bass T-bone
01-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Let us know when you get back. Hehe...
I know, that doesn't help you right now.

Both places are nice, it's just the order that you did it that might be an issue.

You should always bump UP to a more expensive room if your gonna split it.

wildernesslady
01-22-2010, 10:52 AM
We really love POR. I don't think you will be disappointed. Last year we went from VWL to All Star for the last night. The VWL was sold out. There was a distinct difference, but they both offer their own Disney theming. All in all it was a great time.

tinkerbelle75
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Well I am back and I am happy to say that I wasn't disappointed in POR at all! If anything, I was disappointed in the size of the AKL room. When we went to POR I felt like they had given us an upgrade on the size! It could have been the bunk beds that made the room feel smaller, but the POR room felt twice as big! I have to say that I STILL prefer the moderates to the deluxes. POR was a fantastic choice and I would recommend it to anyone!

buzznwoodysmom
02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Like most have already stated it all depends on you, what your expecting and how you handle the situation. That said, this past Nov. we stayed at BC for the week then switched to the Poly for 3 nights before going home. I was so glad that we had the Poly at the end. I don't know that I would have been able to pull myself from the Poly to go to another resort. Of course it was just as hard to pull myself away to go home. Both resorts were wonderful, but I liked having the resort we most liked at the end, but who knows you may like POR more than AKL.

Oops, didn't realize you were back and had a wonderful time. Glad yo enjoyed your resort!