PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside

smeedell
01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I have just booked 7 nights at POR for April. I have read various threads on this resort. What are the best things about this resort? We are a family of 5, what should we look forward to (i.e. walking around the grounds, boat rides, bus service to teh parks, etc.)?

Frog
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
your gonna love it!
One of our favorite things to do is take the boat to DTD for the night.
We have a dd who is six, and so it was fun to play "be on the lookout for crocodile" games as we walked around the grounds (the small lizards cooporated well for us as they played the roll of baby crocs!!) The rooms were plenty roomy even with five. The trundle was fine. Only ate at the food court once, but enjoyed the make your own pasta option. Give a report after you trip to let us know how it was!

deedeebee
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
We love POR:thumbsup: We are a family of 5 also, the kids love the pools, food court and yes, the boat ride is great too. Bus service is always good, staff is helpful. We stayed at the Poly in July, my kids missed POR! You will love it. We won't be back til after Thanksgiving, but I can't wait:cloud9:

crltkcagle
01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
We love it all! We are from New Orleans so it really feels like home when we stay there. Its a great resort and its very quiet.

Mendelson
01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Don't miss Piano Bob Jackson in the evenings at the River Roost...fun for all ages! He's one of the truly unique things about this place.

In the lobby look up....there is a ginormous fan that moves verrrrryyyy slowly back and forth. It's so big it doesn't (and can't) move very fast yet still generates some air circulation.

Out walking by the the river early enough in the morning it is extremely quiet and peaceful.

Grace
01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
:mickey: Good Choice! I agree with previous posters- you're gonna love it at POR. Even though we are DVC members, this resort is still our sentimental favorite. Some things not to miss:
*Bob Jackson, the Piano Man. His early show aims to please the kids!
*Horse and carriage rides- a nice way to see the resort
*RENT bikes and explore. This is a great way to see the whole place, and there are loads of walkways. You can ride to the sister resort, Port Orleans French Quarter- lots to see there for the kids too.
*check out the 'Ole Fishin' Hole
*The food court here is one of the best on property
*Look for hidden Mickeys on the fretwork in the lobby. Also note that the lobby is shaped like a riverboat!
*Even the sidewalks are interesting- imprinted with fronds and plants, or made to look like wooden boards
*Watch for bunnies, lizards, and friendly ducks
*The best thing about this resort is the peacefullness.

HAVE a Magical Time:D

HoosierDisneyFan
01-11-2010, 07:45 PM
NOt sure how old your kids are but POR may have the largest Arcade of any resort (if you kids are into that kind of thing)!

Also POR have an excellent gift shop.

cheeky monkey
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Beautiful grounds! Really gives a resort feeling. I have never been to LA myself but it reminds me of vacations in Hilton Head.

We really enjoyed the quiet pool with the kids as well as the big pool. The boatride to DTD was a hit-we also took the boat to the FQ one night. The kids LOVED it as did we.

I was disappointed we did not have time to take a carriage ride.

tinkerbelle75
01-12-2010, 12:33 AM
:mickey: Good Choice! I agree with previous posters- you're gonna love it at POR. Even though we are DVC members, this resort is still our sentimental favorite. Some things not to miss:
*Bob Jackson, the Piano Man. His early show aims to please the kids!
*Horse and carriage rides- a nice way to see the resort
*RENT bikes and explore. This is a great way to see the whole place, and there are loads of walkways. You can ride to the sister resort, Port Orleans French Quarter- lots to see there for the kids too.
*check out the 'Ole Fishin' Hole
*The food court here is one of the best on property
*Look for hidden Mickeys on the fretwork in the lobby. Also note that the lobby is shaped like a riverboat!
*Even the sidewalks are interesting- imprinted with fronds and plants, or made to look like wooden boards
*Watch for bunnies, lizards, and friendly ducks
*The best thing about this resort is the peacefullness.

HAVE a Magical Time:D

Not trying to hijack the thread, but can someone please tell me more about the piano man and his show? I am taking 4 kids who are very into music of all kinds. What time is the show? What kind of music is it,etc., etc.?

Mendelson
01-12-2010, 09:11 AM
We're not supposed to post links here, so simply google "bob jackson piano" and the first result is his homepage (yeehabob.com). A few links down you'll also see a video result from google. You can also find him on youtube (also by searching there with "bob jackson piano").

I could describe it, but you'd probably rather see it for yourself. He is a ton of fun.

I think the show is every night (except Sunday and Monday, i believe) at around 7-9ish... he's not on the official WDW POR site, that I could tell, so it's hard to say exactly. Someone who saw him recently would remember.

tnpoohbear
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
We have stayed there before and loved it also! We are staying at the French Quarter for the first time in March.:mickey:

mommyprincess
01-13-2010, 08:51 AM
We loved taking the boat to Boatwrights resturant and then strolling back to the French Quarter walking off our awesome dinner.:thumbsup:

Mendelson
01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
We loved taking the boat to Boatwrights resturant and then strolling back to the French Quarter walking off our awesome dinner.:thumbsup:

Ah, if only it were that easy...walking off three bites of your appetizer, I think you mean. :eat:

dumbo_buddy
01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
love port orleans resorts. POR is beautiful and very big. i absolutely love the food court there - the ambiance is beautiful with that big wheel outside the window.

por (dixie landings) was the first place i ever stayed at disney when my parents took me when i was 13. dh and i have stayed at pop before but as you can see we went back to the port orleans resorts!

you'll love it!

katzctkpt
01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Port Orleans is my favorite resort and I think you will enjoy once you get there.

beksy
01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
We just got back from POR and enjoyed it. The theming in the room (AB section) was great and there was plenty of room for the three of us and Mom's ECV. We ate at the food court several times and loved the desserts and make your own pasta and salade. The store was one of my favorites. We were in building 18 and thought it was a good location. The only problem we had was the only ramp up to the building was on the other side of the building from our room. Since our room was right next to steps leading to the a bus trail and the food court trail we could have saved a lot of time and walking with a few more ramps! It was a great resort and very relaxing though.

TiggerCat
01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
The POR is a great resort. There are many things to love about it. The boat ride to DTD, feeding the fish/turtles/ducks off of the dock, the swimmin hole, the food court, the wonderful walks to POFQ, the carriage rides ... Oh great, now I'm feeling homesick. :)