PDA

View Full Version : WOW...it can get cold in Florida!

Ms. Mode
01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello All,

Just back from our first winter trip to WDW and boy was it a cold one. Of course, 40 in Florida feels a little different than 40 in WV:)
We did reach 58 on Thursday and it really was nice in the sun....of course since the sun is normally something you're trying to get out of at WDW they have a lot of shady places..lol

AK was great! Everest was a cold ride, which for what it IS just made it better. And the animals seemed to like the cooler temps which made Kilimanjaro Safari the best ever :thumbsup: All the animals were out and the driver took it slow because there was not a big crowd waiting to ride the bus in 32 degrees.

We ate at Chef Mickey's, Le Cellier, The Plaza, Akershus, and The Brown Derby. Of these the food and service was wonderful, however, Akershus is not something we will do again. The food just wasn't for us, the princesses were beautiful and the service was good though.

A word of warning to anyone making this trip...when you watch the Weather Channel and they say 40 to 50 in Florida take long johns! I saw so many people in flip flops and thin material shorts they made ME cold :mickey:

The crowds were less that August, but more than I expected.

So, now I'm back at work and surfing Intercot until the next trip (probably 2012 if I'm lucky) and telling all my friends to check out this site :mickey:

faline
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
A lot of people do travel to Florida expecting it always to be warm and do not pack the type of clothing that is needed for cool or cold weather. Glad you had a good trip despite the dip in temperatures!

princessgirls
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the great report! Although the temperatures were cold (By Florida standards) you made the most of it and enjoyed your time in Disney.

Julie:mickey:

disneyluva
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Heading down next week. Being from NY - I'm well prepared for the cold. However, hope it'll be at least 60 by then. Anyway, what was the longest wait time you saw and on which ride?

Disney4us2
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Glad you had a good time inspite of the cold :freeze:weather. You ate at a couple of my favorite places.

Our last trip was the first week of Dec and we had both warm and cold weather.

I guess Los Angeles is hogging all the warm :sun:weather. We have been in the high 70's.:flower:

Cindysprince
01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Glad that your trip was fun despite the colder temps. Thanks for the report. :mickey:

pdrlkr
01-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Hoping to hear more of your trip - but from what you posted, other than the temps, you had a great time. You ate at some of our favorite places! :mickey:

vizsla
01-13-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the report.

BigRedDad
01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I can tell you for sure that I learned how cold WDW can get. I grew up in Boca Raton. In middle school, we took a day trip. There were probably 12-15 Greyhounds loaded and it was about 70 degrees. Get to WDW 3 hours later and it is 40. When you have 300+ middle schoolers in shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops, in 40 degree weather, it makes for an annoying time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
thanks for the report...we've also been when it was unusually cold at WDW...brrrr....

Ms. Mode
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Heading down next week. Being from NY - I'm well prepared for the cold. However, hope it'll be at least 60 by then. Anyway, what was the longest wait time you saw and on which ride?

Well, Toy Story Mania had a wait of 160 minutes....I've never seen one that long before! But most of the rides posted between a 20 to 30 minute wait but the lines moved really quick with the exception of Space Mountain...this line moved at a snails pace. The interactive part was fun but you move through it and have about another 30 to 40 minutes before you ride. Early morning was the best time though, because it was cooler most people waited to venture out :thumbsup:

Bass T-bone
01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome back and thanks for the trip report.
Yeah, the weather can be a tricky thing in Florida. The humidity is higher too, so the colder weather feels colder. (to me, anyway)

PrettyMinnie
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Glad to hear the cold weather didn't hold you back!
Thanks for the report!

Altair
01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
It snowed on Saturday 1/9. It was scattered and light, but there was a little snow.

Renfairwedding
01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
BRRR My wife and I drove from PA back in December leaving in a snow storm so we were well prepared for cold wet weather. The night we attended the MVMCP it was 40 with a light drizzle. Talk about cold but we were all set with our winter gear in the van, We did get some nice photo pass shots in front of the castle all bundled up.

disneykid@hrt
01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
It was sooo cold. I knew it would be cold, but I wasn't expecting it to be that cold. It was so weird walking around with layers on and the kids with hats and gloves in the mornings and at night. Was it just me or did Epcot seem colder than any of the other parks?

I agree about seeing people in shorts and flip-flops. At the beginning of our trip I saw a little girl, 8 or 9, walking around in an Ariel costume- the one with the short tummy showing top. I knew she had to be freeeeeeezing. I'm thinking we might go for May next year. :mickey:

wdwluv
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
We did Akershus this past May...and it was not for us either. My kids ate NOTHING! (but then we had the opposite weather than you - hottest May week on record for Orlando - upper 90's. No appetite in that heat)