PDA

View Full Version : Questions on partial disability

russ57
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Currently off due to a ganglion cyst on foot impacting the nerve sheath. We are planning a trip for October 2011. I have always walked the parks and have had the mega blisters to prove it in the past. Is there a decent portable wheelchair for travel on this. I'm not old enough for a power chair (just over 50). Please give me some advice so I can start to look for this. My intentions at this point are to do some walking, just not full distance. Thanks for your help :blush:

Disney4us2
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I use a walker with 4 wheels. It also has a seat with storage under it. I use it at Disneyland. For WDW I would need an ECV. They can be used by anyone over the age of 18 at the parks (I think). Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

Using an ECV or power chair has nothing to do with age, it is for comfort and making the best of your WDW trip. I am just a few years older and never thought I would be needing assistance in walking at the age of 55. My problem is a back problem (cyst in the spinal column) that I can't stand longer than 5 minutes without pain or sit for an extended period of time. For me the rolling walker helps, but an ecv would be better.

If you want to do some walking like you said, maybe the rolling walker with the seat would work for you. Good luck with your foot, hope it is better soon. Have a great trip:mickey:

QTPie68
01-11-2010, 12:33 AM
I had a friend who went to WDW just after her DH had emergency knee surgery, he could walk a little, but the first day they rented a regular wheelchair.....and she got really really tired pushing it. So, the next day, they rented a ECV. They both were very happy with that and more comfortable. (BTW, they were in their 30's at the time!!)

Dznygrl79
01-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I have spondylolysis a fancy name for a bilaterally broken vertabrae which cause disc slips. So I have a buch of trouble walking in everyday not just the parks but I don't let it slow me down, when I feel strong I use a rollator or a four wheeled walker with a seat, mine also has handbrakes so it can't get away from me and a basket for shopping. (I've also had it blinged out to be more me, metallic purple with pink mickeys) I have used it at the parks but never in the que for rides only shows but no problem. I have also had days where I say forget it I'm not moving with out tears today and rented an electric wheel chair. My biggest advice is search for a decent rental company if you need this long term try contacting the companies that sell them and see if they can help you at all.

Oh also if you go with a rollator make sure you get indoor/outdoor wheels or they wear down quick! I have 8" outdoor wheels and I haven't changed them in a while.

peemagg
01-12-2010, 07:42 AM
I too have issues with my foot (RSD) and use a ECV for the parks. I can walk some, just not enough to make it even an hour at the parks. The first time I used it was a year ago and I was in my late 30's.

I looked at it this way, I know my body and it's ability better than anyone else, and if it means that renting an ECV made for a better trip, then I am renting one. I actually didn't rent one because my DR said I needed one at home too so I took my own from home.

I would rent from off site instead of Disney. The ones from off site is cheaper to rent and you are guaranteed to have one for where ever you want to go. It is not even bad to get on the buses.