PDA

View Full Version : MK Lunch - what would you do?

wdw_bound
01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
On our first day in the parks, DS5 and I will have been up since before the crack of dawn travelling to WDW. I'm expecting to be at ASMo around 11-11:30 thanks to ME. We are planning to be in MK that day. We are not on the DDP.

Which do you think would be best for lunch?

1. ASMo Food Court and then hit MK
2. Plaza (I've checked online, and there is plenty of availability) for a more varied menu (I'd probably want a salad)
3. Tony's (ditto on the availability) for the same reason
4. Counter service either at a monorail resort or at MK (and which one?)

I'm not a fan of burgers and fries, and I'm one of the few on Intercot who refuses to go back to Cosmic Rays, so I realize that limits my CS choices in the park. It also seems to me that the above 2 TS (never eaten at either one) are not really that much more $$ for lunch. Plus, not having had much breakfast, we might want something a little more substantial.

Getting excited - in two weeks, we'll be at the world! :mickey:

WelshieLover
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I think that if you have been up since the crack of dawn, I woul don't bother with the monorail resorts. I would stick with the food court at ASMu or one of your choices at the MK. I would do the resort hopping on a day where you are more refreshed.

I have never been to the Plaza, but have always wanted to try it. That is what I would pick.

Gator
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM
The Plaza has good food for a price that's not as expensive at a normal table service. I'd go there.

Jenemmy
01-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Another vote for the Plaza -- I have always enjoyed it and -- unless it has changed -- liked that the kid menu as it was a little different than the usual fare. It is a cute little place -- great place to catch a breather after your early morning start.

mom2morgan
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I personally would eat at the food court before headning to the park - a bit more relaxing with a five year old - you can actually sit down to eat (in the parks that isn't always possible).

retiredfigment
01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
We really enjoyed the selection at Plaza. They will even get your desert from the ice cream parlor and make it to order.

JoDisney
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I did the same thing with one of my children. We stayed at POP and went to our room then went off to MK and ate lunch at the Plaza. It was quite enjoyable and relaxing after just arriving at Disney. We were grateful and enjoyed the healthy choices. You can look at the menu choices at info central. I'll pm a site that keeps the menus updated.

Seasonscraps
01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I would eat the resort - just to take a breather before heading out to the parks. Plus this way, when you get to MK you can just go forth and enjoy instead of stopping right away to eat. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
01-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Food court at the hotel and then hit the parks. That way you're not rushing around and you can relax a little bit :wave:

Disney4us2
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Another vote for eating at the hotel food court. They have a lot of choices. Energize and then have fun in the park. Have a great time and Happy Birthday to DS:party:

KylesMom
01-09-2010, 10:11 PM
We kind of have the same scenario in July . . . we'll be arriving to WL somewhere around 11:30 am after being up since about 2:30 am. We plan on scheduling an ADR at the Plaza for around 3:30 pm - that will give us enough time to purchase our A/Ps at MK's Guest Services Window, grab a Space Mountain FP & hit the refurbed TTA before we sit for a late lunch. Service & food has always been good here, and you can get in & out in less than an hour (unless, of course, you opt for one of the ice cream creations)! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-09-2010, 10:19 PM
First let me say, we enjoyed the Plaza very much when we had lunch there back in March.
However, given your situation, I would not head to the Plaza for lunch. I would arrive at the resort about 11:30 am as you said, settle in a bit, and have a bite at the food court before heading to the MK. I wouldn't make this first day food focused. Travelling since the crack of dawn with a little one can be tricky. I would make the first day as simple as possible. Check in, settle a bit, quick bite, then the MK! That way you can do as much or as little as you like at the park without taking a hunk of time for a sit down meal. Your little one might poop out quick on this first day. Simple and quick on this first day is the way I'd go. Save your sit downs and ADR's for when you have had a good night sleep. Start that the next day!

DisneyFr33k
01-10-2010, 06:14 AM
My family found two trips ago Columbia Harbour House and really loved it! It is right next to Peter Pan. And, we found if you go upstairs, you can on the bridge separating Fantasy Land from Frontier Land. It's fun overlooking both lands and watching people go by. It's a counter service, so it won't be too expensive. They serve chicken, fish and now shrimp. Here is the menu:

Lighthouse Sandwich - hummus with tomato & broccoli slaw $8.09

Anchors Aweigh Sandwich - white tuna with lettuce and tomato on toasted multigrain bun $8.09

Chicken Breast Nuggets and Fish - Served with French Fries or Apple Slices $8.19

Fried Fish Basket - Served with choice of either French Fries or Apple Slices $7.09

Fried Shrimp Basket - Served with Coleslaw and French Fries $9.69

8 Chicken Breast Nuggets - Served with French Fries or Apple Slices $7.69

Garden Harvest Salad - mixed greens, chicken, garden vegetables, cheese and sunflower seeds $8.19

BLT Salad - Mixed greens with crispy chicken, bacon, egg, and tomato $7.69

Bowl of Vegetarian Chili $4.49

Bowl of New England Clam Chowder $4.49

French Fries $2.49
Coleslaw $2.39

Strawberry Yogurt $1.99
Chocolate Cake $3.59
Apple Crisp $3.59

For Guests 9 and under
All meals include choice of two sides: grapes, carrot sticks or applesauce.
Choice of: 1% Mickey Milk, small bottled water or apple juice.

Mixed Greens with Chicken $4.99
Chicken Nuggets $4.99
Macaroni and Cheese $4.99
Peanut Butter and Jelly $4.99

Applesauce, Cookie, French Fries, or Soft Drink substituted upon request

SuzieN
01-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I like The Plaza best out of all of your choices....but, I would probably be too hungry to wait so I would probably eat at the food court!!! The Plaza is fantastic though, I've never had anything there that wasn't delicious!!!!:thumbsup:

bruin1344
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
although i like pecos bill and columbia harbour house, the resort food court is prob best option since you'll all be hungry, there are great options at food court and counterservices at mk maybe too crowded by the time you get there

CaptSmee
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Columbia Harbor House is a good non-burger option at MK. Otherwise, I would book a lunch at either Plaza or Tony's. Both are excellent choices for lunch.

For our next trip we are having to get up at 3am to get to the airport, will be in Orlando by 10am, plan on the hotel by 11am, and booked a lunch at Sci-Fi Dine Inn for 1 at the Studios because we wanted to relax & sit & enjoy our lunch. :beer:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
We like Pecos bills and Cosmic Rays at MK

SBETigg
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
We had this same dilemma last time we headed to WDW. We were so eager to get to the MK, that we opted not to eat at the resort. Once we got to the MK, we were so eager to hit some attractions, that we put off eating again. We finally grabbed a bite, but it ended up being a quick snack close to dinner time. For this reason, I recommend eating at the resort, when you still have the chance to pace yourself and reign in that instinct to run through the park and ride some favorites. Think of it as fueling up. Then, once you're in the park, there's no stopping you.