PDA

View Full Version : DDP or not...

dismommy
01-09-2010, 10:49 AM
When I booked my 2010 DW trip I booked the Magic Your Way Package with DDP, but I'm not sure about the DDP. We had the DDP during out 2008 trip and I felt like we were always rushing around to get to our meal. One day, a very unseasonably hot day my DS gave up and wanted to leave the park mid-day to swim and there was no getting him back for our dinner ADR, so we missed that one. I did have an extra ADR scheduled so we used all our credits, but just barely. I'm not sure I want to do DW that way again, but in 2009 they offered free dinning during the time we will be there and if it's free then I wouldn't want to not have it and take advantage of it. My DS is only really interested in 3 character meals, 2 dinners and 1 breakfast, and DH only has one place, what would you do? Thanks! :smickey:

DizneyRox
01-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I ran the numbers a couple times, and the DDP is always less of a value than us paying OOP for what we eat. Since then, I haven't even had a second thought about getting it and they have removed a lot of value since then (apps and tip).

We always have ADRs though...

#1donaldfan
01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm not much on the DDP anyway. Last June was our first "stab" at it, and yes, we felt like we planned each day around eating. I swore never again, too much food and too much planning, as we like to "just go with the flow"....well, now we've got the DDP again this coming June. The reason ? Not sure except just knowing the food is paid in advance. It's not a great savings, really just a break even thing!! From our first trip to the most recent, we've always had ADR's, paid outta pocket for all but last year, and truly, it's nearly the same cost, with maybe an extra full tummy as we seldom do desserts, which come with the plan....

...I didn't even come close to being on topic, did I ?? You should keep yours as the free dinning may be offered again, then your "in", if not and the closer you get to arrival, just cancel it and get a refund on what the plan cost....???? :cool:

Seasonscraps
01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
The DDP doesn't suit our vacation & eating style so we don't even consider it anymore.

If it turns out there is a free dining promotion when you go - run the numbers to make sure there is a savings. Don't you pay more for the room to get the dining? Estimate the costs of the ADRs you definitely plan to make and the costs of other meals you are likely to have (not necessarily what you get on the plan). Then decide from there. I wouldn't get the plan purely for the convenience of prepaying meals without saving any money by doing so.

disneymom15
01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
We don't use the DDP either. We just don't eat enough to justify it. We eat mostly CS and if we can do a walk up at TS that's great.

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
How about the QSDP? It is hassle and stress free. We tried this on our last trip, we have 3 boys, and it worked out awesomely. It won't cost you anything out of pocket (if you have the free dining), you get 2 snacks, 2 CS meals, and a free resort mug. We didn't have the stress of making and keeping ADR's, we didn't have to plan out months ahead of time what we would want to eat and the times. Everyone could swim, take naps, ride rides and hang out at their leisure. It was perfect for us.

We didn't have character meals-but they didn't miss it, and neither did I. It was very nice and we will use this from now on when we travel as a family. We eat alot so this was a good deal for us-and I like knowing our dining is already paid for before we leave home-we tend not to spend much extra money at the parks. And the boys liked being able to pick their multiple snacks out for themselves-they also saved a few and brought back candy gifts for their friends.

Try the QSDP and pick 1 or 2 places for an ADR TS meal-you have a son (I think?). We did one TS meal OOP at the T-Rex at DTD and my dudes loved it!

Have fun!:mickey:

DizneyRox
01-09-2010, 12:56 PM
My problem with the QS in general is thers's only so many chicken nuggets one person can eat. The QS meus are as generic as the TS menus.

Lack of dining options is probaly what's going to be the straw that finally breaks the camel's back. I'm dreading having to go through the days for our upcoming trip and plan dining.

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 01:20 PM
My problem with the QS in general is thers's only so many chicken nuggets one person can eat.

I agree with you there-but, mine wasn't chicken nuggets it was french fries! It was over a month before I could eat fries again, and I still don't think I could eat a whole order now-which is probably a good thing. Oohhh-new Disney diet!:mickey:

gerald72
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
It sounds as if the original poster's main complaint isn't with the dining plan itself, but with ADRs in general. If 1 TS, 1CS and 1 snack a day doesn't fit into your dining habits, then perhaps the ddp isn't for you.
Have you considered the quick service dining plan? Or perhaps going with the regular ddp but scheduling your TSs as breakfasts, or later at night to give yourself time for a mid day break? Or at restaurants close to your resort instead of in the parks?

forever a child
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Having not used the DDP...this is exactly the issues I was wondering about...that my vacation would be revolving around ADR's and I hate having my days completely scheduled. My work and home life is enough! :mad:

Great thread!:thumbsup:
:mickey:

Gator
01-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I like the DDP because it let's me have a real vacation where I stop and eat real food. Not just chicken strips and burgers for a whole week. Also, when I'm on the plan, I don't have to think about which item is cheaper or more expensive. I just get what I want. That's a big PRO.

retiredfigment
01-09-2010, 04:30 PM
When it included the tip and appetizer in its earliest days I liked it. I kept track of everything and we really got our money's worth. This past year it was 'free' and it was okay. I really don't like planning that much, and it is way too much food. After eating big meals every day, you just want to say enough is enough. Really like counter service better except for a few TS.

bruin1344
01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I like the DDP because it let's me have a real vacation where I stop and eat real food. Not just chicken strips and burgers for a whole week. Also, when I'm on the plan, I don't have to think about which item is cheaper or more expensive. I just get what I want. That's a big PRO.

i agree, restaurants are part of my wdw experience

PetefromRI
01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
How about the QSDP? It is hassle and stress free. We tried this on our last trip, we have 3 boys, and it worked out awesomely. It won't cost you anything out of pocket (if you have the free dining), you get 2 snacks, 2 CS meals, and a free resort mug. We didn't have the stress of making and keeping ADR's, we didn't have to plan out months ahead of time what we would want to eat and the times. Everyone could swim, take naps, ride rides and hang out at their leisure. It was perfect for us.

We didn't have character meals-but they didn't miss it, and neither did I. It was very nice and we will use this from now on when we travel as a family. We eat alot so this was a good deal for us-and I like knowing our dining is already paid for before we leave home-we tend not to spend much extra money at the parks. And the boys liked being able to pick their multiple snacks out for themselves-they also saved a few and brought back candy gifts for their friends.

Try the QSDP and pick 1 or 2 places for an ADR TS meal-you have a son (I think?). We did one TS meal OOP at the T-Rex at DTD and my dudes loved it!

Have fun!:mickey:
I agree wholeheartedly!We only do the DDP if it's free.The QSDP works well for my wife and I.

My problem with the QS in general is thers's only so many chicken nuggets one person can eat. The QS meus are as generic as the TS menus.

Lack of dining options is probaly what's going to be the straw that finally breaks the camel's back. I'm dreading having to go through the days for our upcoming trip and plan dining.
We found many,many different CS restaurants.We only had burgers and fries once at Pecos Bills because we wanted them.We stay at POFQ and find many great eating options at WGP Express and Earl of Sandwich.We've had many good lunches at the resorts and most of the countries in Epcot have a pretty good QSDP offering.I say try the QSDP at least once and see if it works for you.

dismommy
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
My main worry is that if we stick with the regular DDP we won"t end up using all our credit because I can"t force a 9 yr old who already has ADD and is in DW to go with a schedule I made 6 months ago so i could make dining ADR's.

CaptSmee
01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Unless you eat LOTS of food, then the DDP is not worth it. We tried it and never used everything/ate everything that it entitles you to.

Disney4us2
01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
We really like the DDP. If I didn't prepay for the food, I would be missing out on the great TS dining experiences. Even though the meals were all planned in advance, I never felt rushed. It was actually a welcome relief to sit down and relax and have a nice meal.

For us having a sit down meal (uaually dinner) is part of our WDW experience just like an attraction/show/parade would be. We never had a problem with not using up all our credits.

It boils down to what ever works the best for you and your family. :mickey:

thrillme
01-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm running numbers myself and using the TS most expensive meals. I'm not so sure the DDP is going to pay off this time. Last time it was "free-ish" (I say free-ish) because it said FREE but the price of the hotel was more than it was before the dining to change to the FREE dining plan. Regardless it came out to be a "better" deal than going on our own. (I calculated the FREE DDP to be $300).

The BIG problem isn't with the DDP so much as it's with the whole ADR thing. I hate being pressured to be at X place at Y time because if you're going during a prime time you MUST MUST MUST be chained to and ADR. My DH was a first timer that trip. He didn't know how wonderful it was to just walk up to your desired resturant and get in...maybe wait an hour but that was it.

You also MUST MUST MUST use all your credits or you feel a bit "ripped". That often presents a different problem for us since we may not choose to eat on our day of arrival (if we get there late) and on our day of departure (we may leave really early). So that's two meals we have to make up somewhere becuase we can lessen our Disney tickets but not our "meals". Thus...the pressure is ON. We did the "semi-FREE" dining last time and we were struggling to fit in the extra TS and CS meals. We were just not hungry anymore :sick:.

The DDP also presses with Dessert instead of appetizers. This is just not necessary. I also want to be FREE of financial obligation (the only real reason for getting it in the first place)but you're still stuck with TIP.

Snacks well you just get the one...and not all "snacks" are creditable.

Seasonscraps
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
My main worry is that if we stick with the regular DDP we won"t end up using all our credit because I can"t force a 9 yr old who already has ADD and is in DW to go with a schedule I made 6 months ago so i could make dining ADR's.

If you don't think you are not going to use up all your credits then the plan does not make financial sense. You should still make ADRs for places you would like to go but without prepaying your food, it's no big deal if you decide to cancel one at the last minute.

You could always save the money you would pay for the DDP on the side before you leave to use as your food budget on vacation. You'll still have that prepaid feel without feeling chained to ADRs that may not work out for you when you actually get to Disney.

renecat
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
We were there in Sept. with ddp and also felt all we did was eat. Next Sept. we are doing the ddp but are going to do only signature resturants in the evening and either late breakfast or early lunch for our othe table service that day. We love the signature resturants so this will work out well for us.
You could try that if you don't want to be eating all the time but enjoy what you get with the ddp.

bruin1344
01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
if you have extra TS credits, eat at a signature restaurant, character meal, or dinner show

lightyearfan
01-13-2010, 11:13 AM
well maybe i'm in the minority here, but me and dw love the ddp and for our needs it's definetly worth the savings, i've also ran the numbers a few times and we save around $250 it may not sound like allot but it's still saves us from oop. we also choose the deluxe ddp, as we like to have nice breakfest at the different resorts, then a simple cs for lunch and back to a nice ts for dinner. we're also the type that we do plan ahead and not just for the dinning, but for the other stuff, like fantastmic at the time that we're going is only going to be on the sunday , so we'll schedule around for that, we also like to know where we'll be on what day, this works for us so when we plan our adr's we see where we're going to be for that day and plan away. in short i guess you have to do whats right for your family and what your family like's to do. best of all we're all going to be at WDW everything else just falls into place enjoy your trip:mickey:

Victor