PDA

View Full Version : When to Visit

crmark1
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
We have DD(15) and DS(5). We always have to visit either spring break, which for our local school system is always Easter week, or during the summer. How do you with kids get to visit at other times of the year to be able to take advantage of special offers.

droopy d.
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
My kids are still in elementary so leaving isn't as big an issue but this is the last yaer we will leave while they will miss school. You can always try fall break if they get one oct. is the best time to visit.

Gator
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Talk to your kids teachers about independent study. You're kids may have to do some work on the trip, but you'll get to hit the parks when crowds are light.

kakn7294
01-08-2010, 03:05 PM
We go in July or August for the same reasons - my DDs can't miss school - or at least I don't want them to miss school. Our oldest is in marching band so fall is not an option. She's in the musical so Jan - Mar is not an option. I have no idea what she's planning for Apr - May and finals are in early June as is a week of band camp. Really, I have 8 weeks of the year that are good...all in June, July, and August.

crmark1
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Same here Kathy. DD(15) cheerleader in fall, gymnastics rest of school year. DS(5) would be no problem hes just in preschool. But DD just has to much going on during school. We have spring break always Good Friday and the week after Easter. Then the 8 weeks you have 2 weeks end of June, all of July, and first two weeks of Aug. Weve tried late June twice and its hot and it rains alot. Thats why we always seem to be there at Easter when you cant get any discounts, not to mention its the highest rate Disney charges all year. Same as Christmas week.

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Our kids are relatively young (DS11, DS4, DS2), and we have taken DS11 out of school to go in the fall-he gets fall break in October-but many of the deals are not offered while he is out of school. Last year was probably our last year taking him out of school though-if we do come down in the fall it will be when he is on fall break. We're pretty lucky, our school doesn't give us too much grief about him missing school-other schools districts can be pretty strict

luvkatiebug
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
We are in the same situation in that my husband and I are both high school teachers and he coaches year round, so school time is not possible. Also, next year, both kids will be school age. Anyway, this is what we do. We get out at the end of May, so we go then (sounds like ya'll get out later than us) or as soon as we can for the Christmas holidays. I don't know how much you have off before Christmas, but this year we had almost 6 days off before actual Christmas day. We are now planning to go next year as soon as we got off for the Christmas holiday, hoping we have enough time off before. My luck, they will drag our exams into the week before Christmas, but we are hoping for a school calendar similar to this year.

Anyway, just keep this in mind - whenever you go, you can still have a great time during the summer or holidays if you remember that you won't do everything, and you may have some lines to wait in, but what a super reason to go back again soon! I was actually amazed at how well my kids did waiting in lines, knowing there was a "treat" at the end. My kids were 3 and 7 the last time we went, and will be 5 and 9 when we go in December, and I just find when they need a break - let them run around one of the playgrounds in the park or go back to the hotel and swim.

No matter when you go, it will be great!:mickey:

Gregandmel
01-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Last October we took our kids out of school (they were 8 & 17) for 3 days. Just happened that both of their schools had a Monday & Friday of the same week off, so we missed 3 days of school. This upcoming trip, my son is in college (community college) and my younger son is in 4th grade. We are going the last week in April because after talking with my younger sons' teacher, at that point in the year, they are reviewing a lot of things, testings are over, and my older son scheduled his Spring college schedule in such a way that it would be minimally impacted. Just a lot of pre-planning on our end. Luckily, our school district is pretty flexible with missing school, I know there are some out there that have little tolerance for it. We went in the summer many years ago and said never again - however - this was with other family members, we were novices (didn't know a thing about the parks) and this was before fast passes. We did everything wrong. I wouldn't be against going in the summer in the future, but for now - if we can avoid it - we will. Good luck being able to coordinate everything. As one of the above posters mentioned, maybe you can sneak some time before the Christmas break, or look at the school schedule to see when there might be a day or two off school during the off-season and plan a long weekend or something? Either way - you'll be in Disney!! :thumbsup:

Tink#64
01-10-2010, 10:38 AM
We've pulled DS's out of school in mid May for 4 trips with no problems. But we waited until the last weeks of school, after testing was done & they were in elementary school, so they were not even given any make up work to do! At that point in the year about all that they missed was busy work, & clean up time! Mid May was a perfect time to go, not too hot & not too crowded. We also went during our Spring Break one year, and I expected really big crowds but was pleasantly surprised, very manageable! We experienced heavier crowds MD day week/weekend than we did during SB. I've always wanted to try the fall break time in Oct., I've read that it's wonderful, but oldest DS will be starting high school this year, so I'm thinking not really an option for us to pull them out of school anymore. This year we're trying June for the first time and hoping that it's not too crazy crowded!

bruin1344
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I assume it difficult to take your 15 yr old out of school for a week. If thats the case, if you dont mind the heat or the potential quick daily t-storm, then late Aug is prob best option. Crowds are manageable and the flights are cheap compared to the busy times.