PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Has Been to HHI?

DVC2004
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Did you enjoy this resort? What is there to do around thre? My boys are 11 and almsot 13 and would enjooy the beach. One golfs with my husband. I know there are alot of courses. Anything else of interest worth noting? Thanks.

quicksand
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
We go to HHI every summer, but not to the DVC resort, so I cannot comment on that part. We enjoy just going to the beach/pool. They have some good restrants and shopping. I know friends that have done the dolphin tours and shark fishing excursions and have really enjoyed it. My brother in law and his family love to go to Shelter Cove to watch the fireworks. Never done any golf. I hope that was some help to you. :blush:

Disneyfun
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Ok, my view will be a little biased as I grew up on the island right next door - Beaufort - back in the 80's. My thoughts as a teenager was that it was ok for the beach, not great, but not horrible.

The golf courses are spectacular as are the restaurants. Big HOWEVER - everything is super expensive on Hilton Head (locals never add island to the name). Gas will be the most expensive in the area as will food. McDonalds on Hilton Head were usually 30-50% more compared to normal.

As a kid - unless I was going to visit someone or make a special trip to their beach, I really didn't go there too much. There just wasn't a reason - BUT - that was 20 years ago and I am sure a lot has changed. Make sure that your children are geared up for a relaxing time -not one filled with thrills as that is definitely not what the Low Country of South Carolina is about.

DVC2004
01-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. It actually sounds like what we are looking for- relaxing with some options for recreation. We do like to ear out but if staying in our villa we'll be able to cook some meals and save some bucks on the restaurants.

On the shark fishing and dolphin cruises - pretty good chance to see dolphins or catch sharks in June? Is the ocean warm enough in June for swimming?

Disneyfun
01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh, it'll be plenty warm enough in June - similar to Orlando in June - hot, sticky, sand gnats....did I mention it's going to be hot? :thedolls:

TheDuckRocks
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I loved HIlton Head and the DVC resort there. When doing some research on a future trip I came across this little item: During the summer months the normal population of 35,000 residents swells to 105,000 with the influx of tourists. Guess that explains the waitress that told us that during the summer the humidity is so bad because the tourists gulp up all the air.:funny:
It is so beautiful there though I can hardly wait to go back again.

mouseketeer mom
01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Yes. We got a 2BR villa over last fourth of July week.
The resort is pure Disney, just what you'd expect with lots of attention to detail and plenty of activities offered at both the resort and the beach house throughout the day. We made a grocery stop prior to check in at the local Piggly Wiggly and enjoyed breakfast on the deck each morning. We did the dolphin tour booked through Disney but this wasn't worth it or necessary. We saw plenty of dolphins right from our deck each morning!! That was a wonderful bonus. So I recommend a Marsh view. The bike ride to the beach was nice, so bring your own, or definitely rent. It was our first time to HHI, so we spent lots of time eating out or exploring the island. If we went back we would do less of this. The resort itself is peaceful and relaxing. We would spend more time at the resort for sure instead. Less "out" time. We enjoyed the Shannon Tanner show that plays a few times a week (free) on Sheltor cove., within walking distance. He was incredibly entertaining. My kids loved the show too, they were 15, 13, and 9 at the time of our trip. Have fun!

TheDuckRocks
01-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Shelter Cove just a nice walk across the bridge from Disney has a number of restaurants and some shops. The Nachos at Miguels were a huge platter that even having them as our entire dinner could not be finished by 2 very hungry people. Little Venice was very good and a lovely atmosphere. Kingfisher has outstanding early bird specials. The only restaurant we would not go back to was the Parrot something - not good.
The Salty Dog complex out in Sea Pines was fun but be aware that they charge you $5 per vehicle to get beyond the gate at Sea Pines.

TheVBs
01-12-2010, 07:43 AM
We stayed there for the first time just before Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time! I have to agree with Mousketeer Mom, it's a very Disney experience. We booked a studio at $66 with a pin code and discovered when we checked in that we'd been upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa! It was huge, great theming, very comfortable.

There are lots of fun activities right on the grounds. We were there 3 nights and only left the resort once to have dinner out. We didn't see dolphins, but heard that others did. I'm sure the chances increase greatly to see one in the summer. The kids activities were great. We found out that for some of them they can earn a pin to put on a special lanyard. BUT... be aware that these are actually the round buttons, not the trading pins. And, you have to buy a special lanyard to put them on, which was I think $10 for non-DVC and $8 for DVC. It actually cost more than a regular lanyard, but was a very flimsy version of it. They can color it themselves though and it could be a fun keepsake.

We took the DDs to a shark class that was very informative and fun! They got to make a necklace with a real shark's tooth and some beautiful glass beads ($10).

The campfire/s'mores were a blast! Lots of goofy songs and dances and the s'mores were free.

We did the beachcombing trip and it was awesome! Wanted to do the kayaking trip, but it got cancelled due to bad weather twice (the risks of going off-season).

The staff were all excellent! The girls got to pin trade there and all of the CMs made it very fun.

Went to the beach there and it was gorgeous! Great beach.