PDA

View Full Version : how long is the airport security lines lately?

alex61821
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Just wondering if the usual 3 hour magical journeys time frame gets you there in time or not with the new lockdowns.

dumbo_buddy
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
i don't know about mco but DH just flew to vegas this morning from jfk and he said the security was out of control. he was there three hours early and still just made the flight!

i feel like mco is generally pretty slow. that being said, i'm sure ME will get everyone there on time. three hours still is a long time :mickey:

BrerGnat
01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't know...

Last two times we've used DME, we *just* made it. The pickup time would be fine IF they would go straight to the airport after you get on the bus. However, usually, the bus travels to other resorts to pick up guests, and that eats up time! Last trip, we sat in the parking lot of the GF for 25 minutes!!! Have no idea what was going on, but we THEN had to go pick up people at Poly. We didn't even pull out of the Poly until a good 45 min after we boarded the bus, then the ride of 30 min to the airport, then having to stop at the other terminal first to let off guests, and by the time we got to OUR terminal, the check in lines for bags on Southwest were INSANE! Security only took about 15 min, but then we had to wait for a tram to the gate. We literally arrived at the gate with 5 min before boarding. We were able to wolf down some pizza while standing at the gate just before we had to leave.

It makes me nervous when it gets cut that close...

You can always hire a towncar for the one way back to the airport or take a taxi if you are that worried.

Genie1953
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow.....I had no idea this might be a problem. We will be using Magical Express to get to the airport in April. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Can anyone who has stayed at POR tell me if they have ever had a problem like this before? What other resorts share the same Magical Express as POR.

alex61821
01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
never been worried about it before, but with the increased security just concerned that 3 hours isnt enough time. didnt know if ME was adjusting the pickup times to more than 3 hours before or not. i am a big fan of being at the gate well before the flight. i wonder if i can take an earlier ME bus than what i am scheduled on.

BrerGnat
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, a lot of concerns about time can be alleviated by utilizing the airline check in service at your resort, if you are on a qualifying airline.

Unfortunately, our favorite carrier, Southwest, is not a qualifying airline. We have cut it VERY close both times we have used SWA and DME back to the airport.

We are going in March with our two young kids...and we are purposely not flying SWA because I refuse to be in that situation of long checkin lines on the return trip, with the added stress of having our kids along. We will fly a participating airline and utilize the check in service at the hotel. Since we have to fly back to CA, missing a flight usually means having to wait until the next day to get home, and we won't have that kind of flexibility.

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM
We are flying down to WDW on Sunday taking Southwest for the first time.
You guys aren't giving me warm, fuzzy feelings about the decision to save $$ flying Southwest.

alex61821
01-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I am sure there has to be some way to take an earlier DME back to the airport.

lindique
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes, you CAN ask Magical Express to pick you up early (you just can't ask for a later pickup). I'm thinking of doing that too, since Southwest luggage check-in frequently has long lines. Better early than late to the airport!

NH Disneyfan
01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
We've used ME on Delta (participating) twice. The first time we cut it very close due to waits at other resorts. Most recently it was great, we had almost 2 hours to kill. If you have to check luggage, it is probably a good idea to request an earlier pick-up, as to make this cost efficient, Disney is going to fill up the bus.

But don't really worry, just be prepared. Know how to get to the escalator/elevator and what terminal/gate you are headed for. Getting that stuff prepared will save you time coming off ME.