PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a 5-year old

wdw_bound
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Just booked air travel for DS's surprise birthday trip. :number1:

According to the TSA website, they don't require any id for DS (who is turning 5). Can't find the requirements on the USAir site. Will a copy of his birth certificate be enough?

Thanks!

Getting so excited about our special trip :mickey:

cajundisneyfreak
01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes we flew with Southwest in June with a 2 month old and they told us a copy of his birth certificate was all we needed.

LittleRoosMommy
01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
We just got back from WDW and flew both on Southwest and JetBlue w/ DDs 3 and 5. I had copies of their birth certificates with us, but was not asked to show proof of their ages at either airport.

I would definitely take it in case they ask you for proof of age.

mudpuppysmom
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
A child in a paid seat does not seem to need any ID, but if you have a child flying as a lap passenger you need a birth certificate......my DS#1 wondered why his little brother had to have extra paperwork looked over when he himself just walked right thru security (basically).

I always have copies just in case anyone has a question as to who the kids are -- that is the safe bet!

thrillme
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I've never taken anything for the child flying if they are too young to have a picture ID. I don't believe there's a requirement till they're 16/17.

What's a birth certificate really going to prove. There's not a picture on it. How is anybody supposed to know if that "birth certificate" really matches the child (if you want to get technical about it)...If they're going out of the country they need a PASSPORT.

DVC2004
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
As long as you have paid the fare for his seat, you don'tneed any ID. The TSA usually asks my kids what thier names are and where are they goin. No other ID is required.

The reason some say a birth cert. is because if a child is under 2 you can have them sit in your lap and not pay for a seat. However if there is any question at the gate that your child may be older you could be forced to pay the fare for a seat if you can't prove your child's age.

MarkC
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
My kids are now 20 and 17. Until they are 18 they don't need any ID. We've flown at least once a year and never been asked for proof of age, etc. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about unless you're putting him on your lap.

A couple of other thoughts-- you didn't say if he's flown before, but prepare him for what will happen. Show him some movies or take him to the airport. We always tried to prepare our kids as much as possible so there were no surprises.

A funny story off tangent about preparing your kids-- we were taking them to see the acrobatic group from China-- the Peking Acrobats (obviously several years ago). When we got there my then 4 year old asked where the baseball game was, figuring the name sounded a lot like the St. Louis Cardinals or Chicago Cubs, and it had "bat" in the title. It took him awhile to get over his disappointment but eventually he enjoyed the show.