PDA

View Full Version : Sprit of Aloah

jwildflower1981
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Tell me about this show please. How's the food? Is it worth 2 credits off the DDP? Will it keep my 20 month old entertained? Opinions please. Tell me the good, bad and the ugly. We are already eating at Ohana for dinner one night we'll be there, is the food just like there?

DizneyRox
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
:ack:

But everyone has an opinion... I say RUN!

KylesMom
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
We were excited to try the Spirit of Aloha dinner show this past June. While reviews have been mixed, it looked different to us & we thought it might be fun. As we are Tables in Wonderland members & not part of the dining plan, we charged the whole thing for the three of us to our credit card.

Lo and behold, the Tikki Gods were very angry that night, and the rain was coming down sideways. They ended up canceling the show. Not a big deal for us, since we received a refund to our credit card (albeit 60 days and a few phone calls later). However, if we would have booked it utilizing two dining service credits, we would have been hard-pressed to figure out where to spend those credits with the booking situation what it is. I've read a trip report or two since our experience which leads me to believe this is more common than we first thought.

I wouldn't hesitate to give the show another try - but know that if it is cancelled, you may be left scrambling on where you can use your TS credits . . .

cajundisneyfreak
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
We gave it a try in 2002.The food is good and so was the show.It's an all you can eat family style.Sodas,wine and beer are also included.Needless to say,some people in our group were a little tipsy.lol It lasts about 2 hours.We paid out of pocket.Hope this helps and hope your trip is magical.:mickey:

Cinderelley
01-08-2010, 02:03 AM
With the understanding that my kids are teens now, I would not think it would keep an 20-month-old entertained. There is a part where the kids get to get up and dance, but for the most part, it is more of a sit down and watch type of show. There are also times when there are breaks in the show.
If your toddler likes the characters, i would be more inclined to suggest Mickey's Backyard BBQ. My nephew was about 2 when we took him, and he liked it a lot more there. He was able to run around and we went and saw the animals too.
If you want to see the luau, you could always place him in childcare and go see the luau.

katzctkpt
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
We are trying this for the first time this upcoming trip. As stated by other posters there are mixed reviews. All in all you have to make the decision for yourself if you like or not. Just hope that the rain contains itself for the day.

Stich8818
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Having heard the same mixed reviews I kind of prepared myself for the worse. I was suprised that it was a good time. Our seats were good it was a Cat 2 seating. We were actually on the raised part of the seating straight ahead of the stage. The food was ok nothing special but food. The dessert was the best part of the meal besides the bread and salad at the begging of the meal. We liked the little hokey show (you are at Disney). The 2 TS credits are a lot but we had them and glad we did the show. We will do something else next time.I am thinking Hoop De Do.

PECOS BILL
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
First of all you cannot compare Ohana to Spirit of Aloha.
Ohana is an all you care to enjoy sit down restaurant. Since the new chef (TJ) has taken over the coconuts of the place the food has improved alot. But you have asked about Spirit.
Since I have been visiting the World we once in awhile attend the dinner shows on property.
SOA is a classic in my view. The area that you arrive at is immersive. The show is fun and for all the family members. The food is good and there is plenty of it. Try it at least once.
Also try the Hoop Dee Doo if you can sometime. Another Disney classic.
Have fun!!!!

TheVBs
01-13-2010, 08:03 AM
We did this show a few years ago when our DDs were 2 and 6. We thought it was a fun show. Our DD2 did get restless, she wanted to dance more on the stage, but they only got a short time at the beginning to do that. I think that would be something fun for them to do at the end again. The food was really good! I'm really glad we did it, but we wouldn't opt to do it a second time.

SurferStitch
01-13-2010, 11:13 AM
DH and I went to the show in December, and we had a wonderful time.

We had Cat 1 seating, front row near middle. We had a great view of everything, and we also had gorgeous warm weather to boot! It was about 75 degrees when the show started, and stayed warm the entire time.

The food was actually very good. Nothing fancy, but cooked perfectly and very tasty. The chicken was delicious, and I really liked the rice and veggies. Dessert was excellent.

We really loved the show. The fire twirler was amazing....much better than the one time we were there years ago. They still had all of the traditional dancing, but inserted a simple storyline to the show. They also added an Elvis song and music from Lilo and Stitch!

It was a very fun night. The crowd really got into the show, and there was a lot of energy from the crowd.

I am SO glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews here. We would have missed out on a great show, great dinner, and an overall fun experience.

yjgirl32
01-13-2010, 11:39 AM
I too am a little scared to try this show due to all the negativity towards it, but think what the heck try it once and see for myself. It's encouraging to see some of the good reviews. Thanks for the help- great post!

DNS
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
We went a year ago. There were 5 of us, 4 adults and one 10 year old. We paid cash (no dining plan) and I think if you asked each of us, you would get a different opinion. We all enjoyed it, some much more than others. I loved it and would do it again. The food was mostly just okay, the salad was fabulous. It was mostly very lively, but 2 hours might be too much for your 20 month old.

crmark1
01-14-2010, 11:23 AM
My Disney Family and I tried SOA in 2005 with my inlaws and 19yo niece. We all enjoyed the show very much. The food was good and so was the show. The area where its located at the Poly actually could make you believe your on the islands.

princessgirls
01-14-2010, 11:50 AM
It is what it is... a hokey show, and OK food.

That being said, we did have a good time there the night we went. We enjoyed the :beer:, and the fire dancer was great.
My DH surprised me with that dinner. We had honeymooned in Hawaii, and he wanted to take us all there to experience the luau. That made the night for me, everything else was a bonus!
I will tell you that my girls really did enjoy it.
Julie:mickey:

TikiLounger
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
We had a great time when we took in the show a couple of years ago. I too had read the bad reviews and was a bit nervous, but it was fun! Yeah, the food was okay and the show was a bit hokey, but it was my daughter's 16th b-day so we all sat back and enjoyed. We were lucky to sit right up front and she was pulled onstage with the Maori warrior to take part in the show. It was a very memorable experience for her (and us). I say don't listen to everyone else's opinions and enjoy it for what it is.

cmshelton1979
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I really like it. We have been twice in the last two years. We were there for our honeymoon and it was actually our first dance as a married couple. I think the food is good, they have all you can drink beer/wine.

I think the show is really good. We got rained out when were down there is last trip but they were able to reschedule us so we were happy about that :)

EeyoresBestFriend
01-19-2010, 04:48 PM
DH and I really enjoyed it! I'd go back without a problem.

I'd say go and draw your own conclusion. My only advice is to go in expecting a Disney style dinner show with a polynesian theme and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

We recently checked out the Hoop De Doo, that so many folks rant about here, and although the food was good ~ I wouldn't do it again. Personal preferences ~ that's what makes life fun!

Good Luck!

pirateyankee80
01-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I would not think it would keep an 20-month-old entertained.

I agree. We saw show when my DS was 5 and he got antsy. Funny, it rained that night too. :umbrella:We were under cover and so were the performers. The fire twirlers were not but most of the performers were. It was a good show.

Belster
01-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I may get in trouble here with my reply but I am going to have to say that we will not be doing any more dinner shows with our 3 yound children ever again. We did HDDMR, while it was a great show...you just cannot expect young kids to sit through something that is 2 hours long.

The shows are wonderful...but I would rethink taking a young child. Just my po.