PDA

View Full Version : Family of 5 Accomodations

smeedell
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I am a family of 5. I am trying to find accommodation for us at the moderate resorts. I noticed there is a large price difference between a family of 5 vs 4; the room is upgraded based on the additional person. The cost is sometimes over $1000 difference.

Is it possible to stay in a standard room? every time I select 5 people on the reservation system, it does not allow standard rooms. Plus only a few resorts are shown.

My children are 8,6 & 3. We have stayed in normal hotel rooms before with the standard 2 queen size beds.

What options do I have? Any help would be appreciated.

What options do I have to avoid the large price difference? Any help would be appreciated.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
POR has standard rooms for 5. There are two double beds, and a trundle bed (which is perfect for small children).

Mousemates
01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
two more semi-economical options would be the cabins at fort wilderness (which we love and that offer the advantage of a full kitchen which can help cut down on food costs) and the family suites at the allstars....another option would be to do adjoining rooms at a value.

fanofdisney
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Just a thought, you could also try the Wilderness Cabins. If you are doing any of the packages I would think you would have to have everyone accounted for on your reservation.

fanofdisney
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry Mousemates we must have been replying at the same time:blush:

cajundisneyfreak
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
We have booked two adjoining rooms at a value resort for a family of five.It's the cheapest way to go and you have two bathrooms.They do account for every person in your group.When booking your package they want everyone's names and ages.Hope this helps and I hope you and your family have a magical trip!!!!!!! :mickey::mickey:

Rekenna
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I saw that you were hoping to stay at a mod, but if you are open try the values-especially if $$$ are an issue (when isn't $$$ an issue though, huh). :mickey:

We had 5.5 (one of our peeps was under 3). We had 2 connecting value rooms at ASMo, 2 bathrooms, 4 beds, 2 dressers, 2 sinks, 2 shelves and clothes racks. It worked out very well. We had a fridge in one room for milk and soft drinks. This was the least expensive option, and we had plenty of room.

Also, 2 TV's-which can be essential at times-when chilling out after a long day or getting ready for bed time.

2 Value rooms was cheaper than a family suite at ASMu. So we had 3 adults, 2 kids, and 1 baby with a pack n play and it worked out really well. This is probably how we will have to go at it from now on-having 2 value rooms if we want to stay on site.

Good luck! Have fun!

disneyfan328
01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Having stayed at both POR and As Movie in the past 3 years my vote ( and what we will probably do in the future) is the 2 rooms at All Star Movie. We love the atmosphere there better with the smaller kids ( ours are 8 & 10 ) Also our families opionion was that they food court at all star movie was WAAAAAYYY better than POR.

Don't get me wrong, POR is BEAUTIFUL but not as Disneyfied as the All Stars. The grounds and bus service were all great, plus the boatride to DTD is a plus but our opinion is that at the younger ages we are preferring the all stars.
Just my two cents :)

elmjimmlm
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
POR is the best for the money...I do like ASM but its sooooo much better at POR in my opinion...The bus situation alone at ASM would make me mark them off my list...

disneygirl87
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
If money is not much of an option, you could try to book a studio villa at one of the Vacation Club resorts. They sleep 4 plus a child, which sounds like what you're looking for. The only draw back is that Vacation Club resorts book to members first, naturally. Hope this helps!

TammiMcMan
01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
If money is not much of an option, you could try to book a studio villa at one of the Vacation Club resorts. They sleep 4 plus a child, which sounds like what you're looking for. Unfortunately, just like the resorts, a "child" is considered to be under the age of 3, so that wouldn't work for the OP either. I do believe that some of the newer AKV studios do accommodate 5, but I don't know how easy it is for the general public to book them.

mom2morgan
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Another vote for POR in the Alligator Bayou (gives you the moderate, as you wished, and rooms are very comfortable for 2 adults and 3 childrne, and it costs the same as any other Moderate standard room). We stayed there - there's only 4 of us, but my girls hate sharing a bed, so my 16 year old slept on the trundle. they say those are only good for "small" children, but she was fine - said it was quite comfortable.

Frog
01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
when someone gets a chance, please clarify..
is it less expensive to stay in two rooms at movie resort than to stay in one at por?? (i thought por was the most affordable option for fam of five....)

Frog
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
and another thought,
would it be less to stay at one of the hotels very close to disney (the ones right by dtd)? would any of them accomodate five? do any of them have any of the perks of staying on property like dinning plan or magic hours?
just trying to help the poster think through the millions of choices!!! and give us food for thought on our next journey to the world...!!!!

#1donaldfan
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
....it's cheaper to stay in one standard room at POR, than it is to book two rooms at a value....:mickey:

mdhiggin
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
You must have at least a 1 bedroom villa for 5 at the villas. Studios only accomodate 4.

bruin1344
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
We have booked two adjoining rooms at a value resort for a family of five.It's the cheapest way to go and you have two bathrooms.

same here

mom2morgan
01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
when someone gets a chance, please clarify..
is it less expensive to stay in two rooms at movie resort than to stay in one at por?? (i thought por was the most affordable option for fam of five....)

For comparison - these rates for value season:
All Star Family suite - $184
Value, two rooms - $164
Moderate - $149

so, yes - the 5 person rooms at POR are the cheapest option (and as I said before, my personal feeling is that it really is nice than the values - just one room, but it is somewhat bigger than one room at a value would be). I don't have any clue about the prices of non-Disney hotels near DTD. Do keep in mind you lose certain perks like Disney transportation and extra magic hours, though.

pirateyankee80
01-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Do Resorts do things differently? I don’t know. Let me tell you that in 2007 my young DS was 5. We stayed at the Beach club, one room, 4 adults and my little one. There were no questions asked. I would definitely not go through the web site and call them or a travel agent (MJ) directly. Also I would shop around the resorts. One room at a high end resort will could be cheaper then a villa or two rooms at a moderate resort, unless things have changed that much in three years. This year we need two rooms since my SIL is going with us.

TammiMcMan
01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Do Resorts do things differently? Yes, the room occupancy limits can be different, based on the resort you book. For example:

Standard rooms at the values, moderates, AKL & WL, accommodate 4 people, plus 1 child under the age of 3

POR's trundle bed room, YC, BC, BWI, CR, GF & Poly, accommodate 5 people, plus 1 child under the age of 3

FW Cabins accommodate 6 people, plus 1 child under the age of 3

Irregardless of whether you book online or call, you'll still run into the same maximum occupancy limit for the rooms. Based on pin codes, discounts and what ever other specials are going on, I do agree that checking all options with somone like Magical Journeys is a good choice.

SuzieN
01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
POR is your cheapest option with a family of 5. I also have 5 in my family and we love POR!! It is a lushly landscaped, gorgeous resort!!! The food court is excellent, the pool is great, and the boat ride to DTD is a fabulous perk. IMO, you won't be sorry if you stay there!!!:thumbsup:

LVT
01-10-2010, 08:30 PM
We have used the Port Orleans trundle bed option. It works fine. Travel agents can be very helpful for this. There are are more Expensive options, but why?

Frog
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
When we go, we like to try different things...
We would really like to try a different moderate resort (like CB) but I feel as if we are stuck with POR (not that it is bad or anything ;) )
So are we basically stuck with those three (POR, Cabins, or Musical suite/double room) options if we are a fam of five and dont want to anti up to the delux??

azcavalier
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Yep. I've felt the same way. We have a family of five (youngest is about to turn 5), and our first few trips we stayed at the All Stars. Now, with the three kids, unless we want to go multiple rooms (or the ASM Suite), we'd have to go deluxe and cough up a lot more $$$. Not that I wouldn't do it if I could, but we'd rather spend less on the rooms so that we can go more often.

But, yeah, POR is the only resort under a deluxe or a suite that lets you sleep five. Period. And if I have to choose between POR or getting two rooms at a value, i'd go POR hands down. Parking is better. Food court is better. Landscaping is better (but more mature...ASMovies has great theming). Pool is better. Rooms are bigger. It's just a nicer place to stay, by design.

And while some complain of the bus service at POR, at least it has multiple stops around the resort so that no building is that far from a stop, whereas at the values, you've got the one stop, and if your room is in a building far from the main bldg...then you've got quite a walk ahead of you.

ShanPooh
01-12-2010, 02:30 AM
How has it worked out for those families with five staying in a room with one bathroom? :blush:
I'm pretty sure we can handle the close quarters (in fact , DS will probably insist on it), but only having one bathroom with three kiddos might be interesting :geek2:

Frog
01-12-2010, 09:25 AM
While one takes her turn (in our family of three daughters anyway) the others hang out watching the "cant miss top ten disney rides" segments on the tv... over and over again!!! Seriously, no problems here!

azcavalier
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
How has it worked out for those families with five staying in a room with one bathroom? :blush:
I'm pretty sure we can handle the close quarters (in fact , DS will probably insist on it), but only having one bathroom with three kiddos might be interesting :geek2:

Yeah, it has never been a problem. We have a DS (12), and two DDs (10, 4). The girls usually take a bath at night after we get back from the parks, and our son takes his shower in the morning after I do.

LVT
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
The sink is outside the bathroom and there was a curtain to make even that area a little private.

#1donaldfan
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
The sink is outside the bathroom and there was a curtain to make even that area a little private.

....plus, it's a vacation, so I am sure just about anyone can make it work...:cool: