PDA

View Full Version : Infant: How young is to young?

fabfundisney
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I was planning our next trip to WDW to be around late August of this year. However, I forgot to consider the fact that I am now pregnant. As my youngest is 8, I have been out of the baby business for quite some time. At any rate, this means the new baby will be around two months old. Should I cancel? Is that just too young to take an infant to Disney? :confused:

hannahandkalebmom
01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Took our 4 month old with along with our 5 year old. It was actually great we put the baby in the baby bjorn and we were on our way. We had a great time and the 4 mth old slowed us down only a little. Would do it again. :mickey:

Strmchsr
01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
That's up to each individual parent, but the one thing I would strongly suggest you consider is that in August it is HOT and humid. A 2 month old can't regulate body heat as well as an older child. There could potentially be issues with overheating or dehydration. In Florida during August it sometimes gets so humid that your body can no longer cool itself through sweating. That could be very dangerous to a young infant. So, if you decide to go then, keep the baby shaded, take very frequent inside brakes, and make sure the baby is drinking a lot.

mudpuppysmom
01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
We took our son at 6 months and again at a little over a year -- our older son is nearly 8 now.

We had different trips than we have had before, I'll say that! But, we still had loads of fun too!!

The baby will slow you down a bit, but not to the point where everyone is sitting around all day with nothing to do. When our little one needed fed one of us would camp out either on a bench in the shade or inside somewhere cool and feed him while the other parent took the older kid on a ride or two, then we would meet up again and move on. We even took the baby on a few rides/shows and he enjoyed himself too (no reason why they can't enjoy the trip too!).

We also ran into a woman at the CR on our most recent trip (Oct 09) and she had a 6 wk old with her......AND three other kids!!!

You'll see every age and I think it's just personal preference whether you want to take a young baby or not.

PinKy
01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
We brought our oldest son for his first trip when he was 5 months old and our youngest when he was 8 months- and it was actually an easy trip both times and I think they had a good time too! (people watching, the music, etc)

Definitely plan to "wear" the baby as much as possible and to keep both of you cool and comfortable - but the baby should be able to sleep/eat pretty much anywhere - which eases things up on the rest of the family I would think. (if you're going to nurse - the little nursing cover-ups from Target are colorful, "cute", lightweight and you can see your baby while he/she nurses while making sure that you're "covered" up - the year before our son was born we saw a mom nursing her baby in the que for a ride with one of these! LOL! (I'm sorry I can't remember the brand - its NOT the Eddie Bauer giant blanket-like things though) The baby care centers in all of the parks are a godsend and will make things so much easier for you! Make use of them! They have quiet, cool areas to "refresh" you and your family and they have darkened quiet rooms to calm down overstimulated babies - nursing rooms too! Access to microwaves, sinks, faucets etc for washing/feeding necessities and of course changing areas that are very comfortable. I believe all of them (except maybe the one at Hollywood Studios? I can't remember) have play areas and tvs with movies playing for older children. They also sell emergency items just in case. (they're expensive though!) Nearly all the bathrooms also sell "diaper packs" in the vending machines too - just in case.

Not sure if you're flying or driving, but our biggest concern during our trip was the flight with our son - we wanted to make sure he had his 3 month shots before getting on the plane with so many people and recirculating air! But if you're driving that shouldn't be an issue.

You'll be surprised at the number of rides/attractions you should be able to go on WITH the baby too! Plan to have a wonderful trip! Rest and cool off as necessary adn enjoy yourself! Things the little one might enjoy would be the lovely music all over the parks - the bright lights from some of the parades or shows, people watching, some of the boat rides... Disney really does make it as easy as possible to travel with kids of all ages. We found having a refrigerator in our room was helpful, but not necessary - not sure what your arrangements are but thought I would mention it. We also were able to ask for a "bowl" of hot water to warm baby bottles when necessary at the restaurants and we never encountered anyone that couldn't accommodate this.

I'm sorry - I wrote a book. I have two little ones 3 years and 1 year - so I'm in full baby-mode now.