PDA

View Full Version : How long to keep looking for owner?

Lizzy
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
So the other night, my BF, who is a manager at a pizza place found a Boston Terrier in his parking lot.

The dog was up there for 3 hours in the freezing cold. (Yes it has been freezing here at night). So he brought him home with him at close.

We have posted found signs on the restaurant door, called all the local vets, pound, and checked craigslist. There is even a Brevard County lost and found pets page that we put his info on.

I now a few days is not enough to give up on, but how long is? Both of us and our kids are starting to get attached to the little guy.

He is a fantastic dog, and I can't imagine his owners not looking for him. He is housebroken, wearing a collar, comes when called (we are just calling him "Dog") He's very mellow, basically stays on the couch 90% of the time. The other time he is trying to compete with my Sheltie for attention.

If it were my dog, I would be going crazy looking for him. He is a perfect Gentleman.

How long do you give before you give up? What else should I try to do to find his owners?

EDIT: and we have taken him in to be scanned, he has no microchip

MushuGrl
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
That's so funny! The same thing happened to us with a cat. We called him "Cat" while waiting for someone to claim him, and by the time we gave up and decided to keep him, "Cat" had stuck. (We're KISS fans so we changed the spelling to Kat. It's fun going to the vet though. "I'm here to pick up my cat." "What's his name?" "Kat." "No, his name." "My cat's name is Kat.")

We waited about two weeks. We placed an ad in the newspaper...I work for the newspaper, and people here either place lost/found ads, or call us to report missing animals or to see if someone has called about one. I figure after a few weeks, if the owner hasn't put forth the effort to look, you're safe.

Dznygrl79
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't know if yo have a local humane but up here they will check a microchip for free just take the animal in explain the circumstance and they will scan to see if he has a chip. The chip will have the owners info. Good luck, but if he's not claimed he sounds like he would be a great pet. I would give them a few weeks

Stitchahula
01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
You might think about bringing him to your vet to see if they can check for a chip. A lot of dogs have a micro chip in their skin now in case they ever get lost. They might also know about the law in regards to how long until you can claim the dog as your own. Good luck.

Disney4us2
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
You might think about bringing him to your vet to see if they can check for a chip. A lot of dogs have a micro chip in their skin now in case they ever get lost. They might also know about the law in regards to how long until you can claim the dog as your own. Good luck.

You beat me to the punch. Our dog is microchiped. The only down side is if the owner has moved and not updated the info.

Lizzy
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
We had him checked yesterday, he has no microchip

NotaGeek
01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
We had him checked yesterday, he has no microchip
If he has no chip and you've had him more than a weel, congrats, he's your dog. I think you've done your part and you should definitely welcome him as a gift ... you're home might be just the place he was looking for! :puppy:

Ian
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
If he has no chip and you've had him more than a weel, congrats, he's your dog. I think you've done your part and you should definitely welcome him as a gift ... you're home might be just the place he was looking for! :puppy::ditto:

I think you've done all you can do at this point. If someone is missing him, they've had ample opportunity to track him down.

thrillme
01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't think a week is enough time. Maybe closer to a month.

A week to two weeks is "vacation" time. He could have escaped out of his yard while in the care of a caretaker, kennel or automatic feeder whatever. The owners whether they know or not will not be able to do anything till they return.

I think it's a little odd that he was found in a public parking lot. That sounds a little more like he was "dumped". Doggies that "escape" and get lost usually wander around the neighborhood.

Lizzy
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, we thought that him being in the parking lot was weird too, but this particular restuarant is on a main drag right through a busy neighborhood. Mostly houses except on this one corner, where the pizza place is, a vet's office (we checked with them) and a firestation. There is a park down the street a little bit but mostly just house after house there. He was in that parking lot for a long time before my BF decided enough is enough. The parking lot is a busy one, he didn't want to see him get hit, and it was bitter cold. This dog has very short hair.

I hope we do find his owners, but at the same time if we don't we will enjoy having him.

Nascfan
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Put up some "Found" signs on posts/poles around the neighborhood, especially at intersections. Include a picture of the dog if you can. If you don't receive a response for a week or so after doing this, he's your dog. Congratulations! ;)
Personally, I think God knew how much you were missing Leroy and sent another creature for you to love.

RenDuran
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Check with the mail delivery person in that area too. Maybe he or she knows if the dog is local to that area.

pink
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I would also put an ad in the paper for a week or so. Keep the signs up in the shop too but if I would say in 3 weeks, you don't hear anything, he is yours.

During tough times it isn't uncommon for people to dump their dogs because they can't afford to take care of them anymore. A restaurant with a dumpster with food out back could have just attracted him.

Good luck.:mickey:
I'm glad he found nice people.

Joannelet
01-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Did you notify the local police? The owners sometimes call them asking them if anyone called in a missing dog.

Mickey'sGirl
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I would ask any area schools to include the FOUND notice in any announcements. Such a lovely gentleman might have kids in his life.

You might also call your town/city offices. Our oldest doggie likes to wander from time to time, and he has been found once by me calling the town, and the second time because the guy who found him called all the vets in town to report that he had found a dog. Our vet called us because they knew we had two Brittany's...and sure enough, he was ours! So you might contact the vets around town too.

It would be heartbreaking if that little doggie belonged to someone who was really missing him.

starryeyes21
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Sadly, he may have been left there on purpose. My husband works as a car insurance adjuster and he was looking at cars at a shop one day. All of a sudden this lovely pug appeared in the lot. He had a note attached to him stating that because of the economy the woman who owned him could no longer take care of him. It said that she left him in the lot because there were a lot of people there and she knew he would be found and that someone would take care him in. He was such a nice dog. He stole my husband's heart and he would have taken him in but we cannot have dogs in our apartment. Much like the dog you found the pug was well trained, beautifully maintained, wearing a collar with no identification, and came when called.

My husband has seen similar situations at different shops on two more occasions. It might be a possibility that nobody is looking for the little guy. I would think that after a week whomever was caring for him, owner or caregiver, would have looked for him and with all the effort you put in found him.

Tygger7
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Sadly, he may have been left there on purpose. My husband works as a car insurance adjuster and he was looking at cars at a shop one day. All of a sudden this lovely pug appeared in the lot. He had a note attached to him stating that because of the economy the woman who owned him could no longer take care of him. It said that she left him in the lot because there were a lot of people there and she knew he would be found and that someone would take care him in. He was such a nice dog. He stole my husband's heart and he would have taken him in but we cannot have dogs in our apartment. Much like the dog you found the pug was well trained, beautifully maintained, wearing a collar with no identification, and came when called.

My husband has seen similar situations at different shops on two more occasions. It might be a possibility that nobody is looking for the little guy. I would think that after a week whomever was caring for him, owner or caregiver, would have looked for him and with all the effort you put in found him.

Hey, do you know if the pug found a home? I'd gladly take him...he can come live with me & my 4 pugs!

divinedi
01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the shelters here in Ontario only have to wait 3 days if they get a stray, if no one claims the pet by then, then they are put up for adoption. The fact that you've done so much to try and find the owner, to no avail, seems to me that no one is looking for him and you have a new pet!! Enjoy!

MNNHFLTX
01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I think the question here is how hard have the previous owners tried to find him. It's pretty much standard practice for owners of lost pets to put up fliers in vet clinics, grocery stores, neighborhoods, etc, put notices in the paper and notify local shelters that they are missing their pet. The fact that you have pursued all these areas and it appears that they have done none of these things (to me) means that they are not looking very hard. And if there is an unusual twist to the situation (such as a family that was just passing through the area when the dog escaped), chances are not good that they would ever be able to track him down. I think that after two weeks it's inevitable that you have bonded with the dog and he with you and that barring any unusual circumstances you can probably consider him yours.

We had a situation in our neighborhood where a couple several blocks away let their yellow lab roam freely. Many times he would follow me and my dogs on our walks, almost getting hit by cars. I would take him home, only to find the same situation a day or two later. Finally he started hanging out at our next-door neighbors house as he was thin and hungry and they fed him. The couple that owned him never put up fliers or asked around trying to find him. When our next-door neighbors took it on themselves to bring him in to the vet and get him treated for heartworm and malnutrition, I was just thankful that he had found new owners who were responsible and would take good care of him. He seems much happier too. :)

Lizzy
01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I got an email yesterday from a girl who saw one of my ads on the lost pets site. She said it sounded like her neighbors dog from a couple houses down, and she described the dog pretty well. She said she thinks they went out of town, but hasn't seen the house sitter in a few days, but the dog gets out all the time. She didn't know the dogs name.

After she emailed me she went down the street to check it out and to see if any of the other neighbors had a phone number. She said the house was empty, and neighbors told her that they had moved. She thinks it must have been the landlord checking out the house and not a sitter.

I'm really thinking he was left behind. It's sad because a dog like this would easily be taken in by anyone you ask, instead of dumping him where he could have been hit or frose or starve. He is not a young dog. I'm thinking he is more like 5-7.

I'm going to give it another week though, just to be sure before I let the kids start to call him more than Dog. Just because if his real family is out of town, they may not even know he is missing. Or what if his person is in the hospital?

starryeyes21
01-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes. The little pug found a new home on the same day he was left. I guess that's why he was left there. Because his owner knew that someone would take him into their home.

Lizzy
01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, I found the dog's owner. His name was Otis.

I am glad that he found his family, because there are 3 girls that were missing him terribly. The mom was in and out of the hospital last week and told me that looking for him was not a priority. I guess I could understand that, but then she went on to say that her husband wasn't happy that the dog was coming back, because he gets out alot and is tired of looking for him. When she came to pick him up she didn't even seem happy to see him. She gave me a gift card to Walmart for my expenses.

I just am put off by the whole thing. She wasn't worried about him for all that time, her husband wasn't even looking for him and didn't want him back. Yes I was sad to see him go and was getting attached, but to see him go to his family who really didn't even care until Friday night when they happened to see my Craigslist ad. She sent me a picture of him over the email to prove that he was hers.

It just didn't seem right for her to get him back, but at least her daughters who are 12, 9 and 3 are overjoyed to have their dog back.

Mixed feelings but at least he is with his rightful family.

TheDuckRocks
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
This is a subject that just makes me so mad! I will not post what I think of pet owners like these or I will banned from Intercot forever.:mad:

RenDuran
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Well, I found the dog's owner. His name was Otis.

I am glad that he found his family, because there are 3 girls that were missing him terribly. The mom was in and out of the hospital last week and told me that looking for him was not a priority. I guess I could understand that, but then she went on to say that her husband wasn't happy that the dog was coming back, because he gets out alot and is tired of looking for him. When she came to pick him up she didn't even seem happy to see him. She gave me a gift card to Walmart for my expenses.

I just am put off by the whole thing. She wasn't worried about him for all that time, her husband wasn't even looking for him and didn't want him back. Yes I was sad to see him go and was getting attached, but to see him go to his family who really didn't even care until Friday night when they happened to see my Craigslist ad. She sent me a picture of him over the email to prove that he was hers.

It just didn't seem right for her to get him back, but at least her daughters who are 12, 9 and 3 are overjoyed to have their dog back.

Mixed feelings but at least he is with his rightful family.

Why don't you let her know that if they do want to get rid of the dog, that you would be more than happy to take him in? I'm glad for the kids that they have their dog back, but if the dog is such a source of contention, maybe they shouldn't even have a dog in the house.

MNNHFLTX
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
See, that gets to me too. Some pet owners like the idea of having a pet, I think, but are not committed to caring for it responsibly. If it wasn't for your kindness in taking the pup in when you saw it in the parking lot, this story probably wouldn't have had a happy ending (well, sort of happy). I admire your actions, Lizzy, but totally understand your ambivalence with the outcome.

murphy1
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
You are the fourth person in Florida I have heard about this happening to. Some people are sadly letting their pets go b/c of the economy or sadder they don't want the animal. Thank goodness someone like you found the dog.

MushuGrl
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I sincerely hope Mr. Otis somehow finds his way back to you!

DAKustodial
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
This gets me a little upset as well. I am a dog lover and I have the most spoiled boxer on the planet, in my opinion. I couldn't imagine not having my dog and if he was missing my wife and I would be taking days off from work to find him. The fact that she even told you that her husband wasn't excited to have the dog back is crazy to me!

Anyway, that was awesome of you to keep looking for the dog's family even though they weren't looking for him. Even if you don't get to keep Otis, you did a great thing!