PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated TV show/movie

pink
01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Since my "most overrated musician" thread is still going strong, it started making me think of movies and TV shows that are overrated.

I just watched a movie called Heavenly Creatures (from many years ago )the other day after I heard such good feedback on it but I didn't enjoy it. I thought it was ok at best.

So what do you think are some overrated movies/TV shows?:mickey:

Pagan
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
"Jon & Kate".

Nowhere else but on American television would those two cretins be rewarded with the fame they've achieved.

gueli
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
transformers
when they introduced transformer heaven...
:D

and I agree with pagan.

Melanie
01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
'Everybody Loves Raymond' comes to mind for me.

NotaGeek
01-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Family Guy

Nini
01-04-2010, 11:59 PM
The movie "Pulp Fiction".

I think we shut it off after half an hour.

Denise

DisneyPrincess21
01-05-2010, 01:32 AM
'Everybody Loves Raymond' comes to mind for me.

I agree!

:rolleyes: Okay Ray we get it, you cant stand your brother, your wife hates your mom, your father cant stand your mother, And you people never leave the house. We get it, now let's all move on! :D
I for one do not "love raymond".

Evil Genius
01-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Overrated Movies:

Avatar-Eye candy with no substance

The English Patient-Three hours of my life I'll never get back

Gone with the Wind-The best thing about this movie is its score

2001 A Space Odessey-Quite possibly the dullest scicene fiction film ever produced

The Wall-

The Harry Potter Franchise-They're decent films...I just honestly feel they don't have any staying power

The Lord of the Rings films-The look great...and as epic film making they're fine...but honestly...I don't know how anyone could watch these films more than say once a decade or so

Overrated TV:

Seinfeld-A show about nothing...real entertaining there folks...

Friends-It was the same script every week for how many seasons?

Desperate Housewives-Just an hour of some of the most grating performances in history

Sex in the City-See Desperate Housewives

True Blood

I'll stop now...although I will say to the folks that called The Simpsons and Pulp Fiction overrated...I'd love to know exactly why.

NotaGeek
01-05-2010, 02:30 AM
MODERATOR ALERT

Please keep in mind that this is a family friendly site -- all discussion, terms and even the shows discussed should be family friendly.

Also, undoubtedly this thread has the potential to step on some toes of films and shows that people feel very strongly about -- this thread is NOT for bashing each others likes and dislikes. Keep it friendly and INTERCOT appropriate!

Thanks! :tv:

RAIDER
01-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Big Brother :ack:

The last Indiana Jones film :ack: ( sorry cant remember the full title )

DVC2004
01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree with Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond. Never liked either! I also will throw the Simpsons in there.

Pagan
01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
As for movies....

TWILIGHT, or as I like to call it "High School Vampire Musical".

For the love of all that's good, never before have I seen a movie that made me cringe as much as this one. Vampires playing baseball? SPARKLING?

Vampires do not SPARKLE in the sun. The burn and turn to ash!!!

Also highly overrated, "The Blair Witch Project". The tag line was "you'll leave the theater in stunned silence." They were correct. I did.

I left in stunned silence that I spent money to see the most boring, NON scary horror movie ever made. It was so hyped that people kept saying how good it was just so they would go along with the crowd.

It was lifeless, pointless, and I couldn't WAIT for the whiney lead character to get killed.

Two hours I'll never get back.

DVC2004
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
As for movies....

Also highly overrated, "The Blair Witch Project". The tag line was "you'll leave the theater in stunned silence." They were correct. I did.

I left in stunned silence that I spent money to see the most boring, NON scary horror movie ever made. It was so hyped that people kept saying how good it was just so they would go along with the crowd.

It was lifeless, pointless, and I couldn't WAIT for the whiney lead character to get killed.

Yes!!! And I felt the same about Paranormal Activity. I was bored out of my mind. Then the "shocking finale" was what was shown in all the movie trailers. Ugh. Haven't seen Twighlight...

Pagan
01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes!!! And I felt the same about Paranormal Activity. I was bored out of my mind. Then the "shocking finale" was what was shown in all the movie trailers. Ugh.
Just saw "Paranormal Activity" the other night. Only thing it did was make me hear EVERY noise in my house at night. :eek:

Other than that, kinda silly. Amazing how with everything happening to that woman, she was able to fall asleep every night huh?

Haven't seen Twighlight...
Save yourself the $$$. ;)

Evil Genius
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
As for movies....

TWILIGHT, or as I like to call it "High School Vampire Musical".

For the love of all that's good, never before have I seen a movie that made me cringe as much as this one. Vampires playing baseball? SPARKLING?

Vampires do not SPARKLE in the sun. The burn and turn to ash!!!

Amen on The Blair Witch Project!

I thought this movie was nothing but an insult to the audience's intelligence and did nothing but make the majority of us motion sick! I was so angry I asked for my money back...and I'm generally the kind of guy that can just let things roll off my back...not this peice of...garbage. :ack:

The Reservoir Dog
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Any "reality" program :mad:

Ian
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
T.V.

Jon & Kate ... I just don't get the appeal there at all.

Movies

Anything involving Harry Potter. It would be hard for me to imagine anything less interesting.

Pagan
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Anything involving Harry Potter. It would be hard for me to imagine anything less interesting.
Muggle. :razz:

PirateLover
01-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Everyone's tastes are different.
Again it also depends on how we define overrated. Are we talking critically or just popularity? Here are a few that come to mind...

TV: I never got the appeal of Friends either, but Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Family Guy are on in our place almost every day and have made me laugh so hard.

The Office. I caught a few episodes here and there and definitely laughed at some things, so I thought I'd really like it, as many of my friends are obsessed. Rented the first season. It's OK, but not nearly as good as the build up.

Oprah. I watch from time to time, mainly when she nabs a big interview, but I don't quite get the fanatical following. All she has to do is mention a product and sales skyrocket. She is like a god.

Cheers. Just don't really like it that much. On the other hand I'm a huge Frasier fan.

Movies:
Overrated Critically:
Definitely agree with The English Patient. Just waaaay too slow/long. Best thing to come of this movie was the Seinfeld episode ;)
Crash sticks out. Was it good? Yes. Best picture-worthy? No. Same with Chicago. A great movie-musical but 6 Oscars?

By the people: Napoleon Dynamite. Just don't get it. Sat through the first 1/2hr and couldn't finish.
Superbad. I laughed hard at some things, but it was too over the top (and I'm no prude). I know a lot of people (mostly men) that think this is one of the funniest movies of all time.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm interested to see more responses! I think someone should start a thread for underrated tv shows/movies/musicians :D

alphamommy
01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
TV:
Seinfeld - I watched about 3 episodes, and just didn't get what the big deal was.
The Simpsons - Have only watched a few, but I didn't care for it.
Any reality show, Survivor - I know people who are in a Survivor fantasy league. No, thanks!
Any realistic medical drama - I've dealt with enough medical issues the past few years, I don't need to watch it for "entertainment!"

Movies:
Hook - DH and I saw it when we were dating. We walked out after about 45 minutes, because it was going nowhere fast.
The Nightmare Before Christmas - DH fell asleep in the theater. I watched the whole thing in stunned silence.
The Neverending Story - It lived up to its name!

Evil Genius
01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
TV:

Movies:
Hook - DH and I saw it when we were dating. We walked out after about 45 minutes, because it was going nowhere fast.
The Nightmare Before Christmas - DH fell asleep in the theater. I watched the whole thing in stunned silence.
The Neverending Story - It lived up to its name!

Wow! Three movies that are considered part of the classic American film lexicon!:eek:

pdrlkr
01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Napoleon Dynamite - just didn't get it.

alphamommy
01-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Wow! Three movies that are considered part of the classic American film lexicon!:eek:

I actually thought of others that most people love after I posted:

ET - never saw it, never wanted to (even though I love sci fi).
The Godfather Saga - saw the first one, watched part of the second. I just don't get the appeal.
The Matrix series - DH was watching the first one, and I sat down to join him. I happened to come in at a point where someone (Keanu Reeves?) was having a hole drilled in his head. After several brain surgeries, you don't watch things with holes being drilled in heads, so I was done.
The Lord of the Rings movies - never read the books. I tried watching the first one with a bunch of people who had either already seen it, read the books, or both. I got lost and confused (they kept telling me what to pay attention to), so I just gave up. Some day, when I'm home alone, I'll give them a try again.

Ian
01-11-2010, 10:36 AM

The Godfather Saga - saw the first one, watched part of the second. I just don't get the appeal.
The Matrix series - DH was watching the first one, and I sat down to join him. I happened to come in at a point where someone (Keanu Reeves?) was having a hole drilled in his head. After several brain surgeries, you don't watch things with holes being drilled in heads, so I was done.
The Lord of the Rings movies - never read the books. I tried watching the first one with a bunch of people who had either already seen it, read the books, or both. I got lost and confused (they kept telling me what to pay attention to), so I just gave up. Some day, when I'm home alone, I'll give them a try again.You and I must have similar tastes, because I agree on all of these except the Godfather series. Those I love.

The rest? :ack:

BMan62
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Any "reality" program :mad:

Agree 100% --- and this INCLUDES American Idol!!!!

How can any of these shows suggest reality when they are clearly staged fantasies?!?!?!?

Tiggerlovr9000
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Scary Movie I II and III

PirateLover
01-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Hmmm not sure how you can really call something over rated if you haven't actually seen it. There are a number of movies that have been critically acclaimed that I had no interest in, but I left them off my list because I didn't actually see them. ET isn't phenomenal but it's definitely a heartwarming story and I think it's a good family film... and at the time the special effects were certainly groundbreaking.

I agree with the Matrix though. I saw the first, and just did not get the big obsession.

Disneyatic
01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
TV
The Simpsons (this show makes me want to scream)
Friends (just never appealed to me)

Movies
The Life Aquatic (I slogged through this one and was NOT impressed)

I know there has to be a few more but I can't come up with them right now!

MissMaryPoppins
02-03-2010, 12:12 AM
I've thought "Friends" was pretty overrated. I was in my senior year of highschool when it started and when graduation came around that annoying theme song was everywhere. It seemed like it was being shoved down everyones throat.

I thought "The Devil Wears Prada" was highly overrated. I read the book and loved it. There were parts of that movie I was looking forward to seeing come to life but it didn't happen. I didn't think Anne Hathaway was all that great in it and Meryl Streep did not fit the Miranda Priestly in the book. Taking away her British accent was one huge mistake.

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I am stunned by some of the nominations but to each his own. You guys are hammering my favorites.... Oh well here are mine and I am sure many of you will be thinking the same things about my suggestions:

Movies
"The Hurt Locker"
"Inglourious B......."
Tranformers 2

Television'
Any show featuring an overweight middle class comedian and his runway model starlet wife.
Rossanne
Another vote for; Everyone Loves Raymond
How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Jersey Shore
Desperate Housewives

Rhetoric2000
02-03-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm only going with shows that I truly consider to be near universally "Rated".

I'm always annoyed at the fact that being British supposedly makes me love John Cleese and especially Fawlty Towers. From a young age it is virtually stuffed down your throat that this is the greatest comedy in the world and nothing even comes close.

Never got it. Well I do, it's occasionally funny - but it's just a farce, I could name 50 other farces that are just as funny and plenty that are funnier. And Cleese is, and I vouch always has been, a poor comic performer who thinks the louder you shout the funnier it is.

But then what I saw with Britain and Comedy, I then saw with the US and the Sopranos. A very, very average show that makes the irritating assumption that viewers are just going to be inherantly interested in the subject matter, rather than earning your interest.

Finally Buffy the Vampire Slayer, tedious naval-gazery mixed with an annoying central character played by a bad actress, inconsistant mythology, and the problem that whatever creative plot you can come up with the format of the show requires that all problems can be solved by a girl doing a bit of kung fu.

Granny Jill A
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
TV: Any show that is in perpetual re-runs such as Everybody Loves Raymond, Cheers, and Friends. They are even bringing back Barney Miller, for crying out loud. What's next? Welcome Back Kotter.....

I dropped my cable TV service back to BASIC because the choices are so terrible.

Movies: Anything that is nominated for an award, but no one actually goes to see it. I can't figure out why some of these movies get made in the first place.

Scar
02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Family Guy

Everyone's tastes are different.

TV: ... Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Family Guy are on in our place almost every day and have made me laugh so hard.It is funny how people's tastes are so different. I'm right in the middle of you two. "Family Guy" is unwatchable, literally. One time I left my TV on and was in another room when it came on and I could barely hear it. Well "barely hearing it" was too much. I had to get up and go back to turn it off. "Sienfeld" on the other hand is my second favorite show of all time. And I'm just "eh" on "The Simpsons". I can watch it and it is basically funny, but I don't.

murphy1
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Whoever said Gone with the Wind, well, here in Atlanta that is blasphemy!

Lakin
02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
My List of Most Overrated TV Shows/Movies:

Twilight: I tried reading the books, and my friend tried getting me to watch one of the movies but I just couldn't make it. I just didn't get it. I mean, it was trying way to hard to sound all dramatic. Frankly, the movies don't have much of a good plot or substance to me. And I think that over half of the audience watches it just because of the 'dreamy' Jacob Black and Edward Cullen. I don't think it would be much of a success without those two taking the lead, just MHO. Not trying to sound mean.

Family Guy: All of my friends watch this show and look at me crazy when I say that I don't like it. It's just a collaboration of inappropriate jokes and celebrity trashing.

South Park: This show can't go 5 seconds without swearing about something stupid. I just can't stand it!! This show is lots worse than Family Guy.

Jersey Shore: What's so great about it???

American Idol: It's a good show, but it's just nothing to get hooked on. And the only good part is in the beginning when you get to hear all of the bad singers. I don't like the way the finalists sing popular songs that should be left alone.

Napoleon Dynamite: pdrlkr, thank you for mentioning this in a previous post. I almost forgot to put it on here. This movie is just SOOO weird. I don't get it, either. >_< These two guys in my class brought this movie on the bus for our class trip to Chicago and we ended up watching it. I all of a sudden got tired right before it started. (Thank you, instincts.)

Everybody Loves Raymond: Momma wanted me to add this on here, plus I can't help but agree with everyone else when so many people say it. She says it's a show about nothing.

Transformers: I just don't get it. It's just....robots.

Polar Express: Do not flame me for this, but this 'Christmas Classic' is SOOOO BORING!!! I cannot believe that me and my mom wasted an hour and 10 minutes of our life watching this.

Any Tim Burton movies - Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline, or anything of the sort - I just don't like it. I don't fancy the dark concept.