PDA

View Full Version : Flying out of Lehigh Valley Allentown PA

Crow
01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Ive always flown out of Philly, but I would be picking up my GF from Kutztown U and was lookin out of flights there, instead of driving 1 1/2 hr back to Philly airport.
Less flights from ABE and later departures. but i would expect less hassle parkin etc.
Phil has earlier flights which i like. If i take Airtran theres only 1 flight from ABE, so if thats cancelled....
anyone had experience flying from ABE (Lehigh)?

ThanxForNoticin
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Actually, flying out of Lehigh Valley International is a great way to go. It's definitely an easier place to get to from Kutztown, has cheaper parking, and is generally easier to get in and out. Unfortunately, with the good comes the "less good" - and that would be far less flights and flexibility getting to Florida from ABE than you'll have from Philly. You'll basically have 2 non-stop options from ABE to MCO - Airtran and Allegiant Air. Currently, Allegiant flies non-stop to and from Sanford, but beginning early February they'll be flying to and from MCO instead.

As for your concern about cancelled flights?? Yea, you would probably have a problem if it's cancelled - but I really don't know how often something like that happens.

There are also 1-stop options available from ABE to MCO, including United, Delta, USAirways, and maybe 1 or 2 others. But they tend to be much more expensive than Airtran and Allegiant. Good luck with the trip!

Crow
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM
thanks for the help. Airtran does seem the cheapest right now from Lehigh. Still more than i was hoping. and the flight gets in Orlando at 7:30 pm....oh well.

momef3grls
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Airtran only flies in and out of ABE on certain days and times the schedule is very restrictive. I have found taking the drive to PHL is actually cheaper since I can fly Southwest and get the times I want. If Airtran's schedule fits yours it is a good deal out of ABE but I like the flexability PHL has to offer.

MadMadamMim
01-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I live 10 minutes from LVI and really love this airport. Yes it's smaller and yes it has many less flights, but it's a wonderful airport. The parking is easy, the flights are fairly priced, and the people are kind.

Tink1
01-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I drive down from the far NE corner of PA to fly Airtran out of ABE. (Our local airport has so few flights and I am tired of missing my connections)

ABE is an easy airport to drive to, has easy access parking and even though Airtran flight times are not the best, it works well for me. The crew is based out of ATL, so the fly ATL-MCO-ABE-MCO-ATL in a day. I figure, they are not going to want to cancel the flights since it is the same run every day they do it, and the crew wants to get home!

Nanc