PDA

View Full Version : A little concerned...POR

mama2angels
01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
So I booked a trip at POR 05/15-05/22 2010 a few weeks ago. I went with por because the reviews were pretty good and I love the theme/grounds (I did a lot of research). However, recent reviews (mostly on tripadvisor) basically insinuate that the rooms are clearly outdated and unclean...I am a little concerned (ok quite a bit) about this. Especially since DH and I have been married for 5 years and this is our honeymoon that we never ha, I have spent a lot of money on this trip and I don't expect to stay at a resort in need of repair.. My main ? is has anyone been to por recently and had a good experience? Also due to bad reviews (since I booked) will I be able to switch resorts?

NotaGeek
01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT! You misplaced this in the Disneyland section ... I am going to zap this over to the WDW section. Hold on!

p.s. I stayed at both POR and POFQ int he past 2 years and both were fine. The rooms weren't were clean, big and were by no means outdated.

debandbub
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Welcome to Intercot! you'll love it here!
I hope to put your mind at ease- we were there just over a year ago- not a problem to be had. We've stayed there several times, it's definitely one of our favorites. We like to stay in the Mansions because they are just so beautiful. Hope you have a great time

NH Disneyfan
01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
The resort is great. All Disney resorts are wonderful.

Did you get a discount? You mention spending a lot of money. Make sure you take advantage of discounts for any trip you take. You can find them here at Intercot (in the news section) or on "special offers" at the disney website.

Changes to reservations can be made. However, if you book a package, there are some restrictions at times but with Disney being so large, it is generally no problem to change resorts.

If you have a little more $$ to spend, consider the Wilderness Lodge for a "honeymoon" as this is considered a deluxe resort, but has a price between the extreme deluxe (Grand Floridian) and moderates.

ibrowse17
01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
:welcome:

We have stayed at both, and enjoyed each stay. The rooms were very clean and well themed, so I would not worry about that. The only real difference between the two is their size, with POFQ being much a smaller resort and easier to get around.I think you will enjoy your stay:thumbsup:

Patricia
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I've been to POR a few times and always found it to be very pleasant. As a matter of fact it's my favorite moderate and I'm staying there again on my vacation this year. If you find something wrong with your room, you may be able to get a new room by simply asking.

You'll love the boat to Downtown Disney! The grounds are beautiful for walking and you can take a romantic carriage ride around the resort or rent bikes, boats or fishing poles... :D

If your really worried, you may want to switch to Coronado Springs Resort, all the rooms there have been recently renovated and are very nice too.

It has been my experience that tripadvisor makes me worry about every resort choice to the point I had to stop reading there. Every hotel is ripped apart by someone with a camera zoomed in on a small scratch in the furniture.. I have stayed at resorts that had terrible reviews by people only to have a wonderful room and service.

SillySymphony
01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
You've noted a website which has a precarious background. Here's what I mean... Walt knew that if people were happy they'd tell their friends. He also knew that if only one person were unhappy, soon there would be a line of periodicals devoted to that one person's experience.... Therein lies the problem with the website you've quoted. It allows for anyone to say anything about a hotel including people who've never actually stayed there. That could allow a competitor's employee to downgrade a perfectly good property, capice?

I prefer to place my confidence in actual professionals. Grab a travel book at your local library and do some research... You'll soon find what we here already know... WDW doesn't stay at the top of the hotel food chain by cutting the important corners.

Lastly, I'll concur with previous post: if you've only booked a room, you have until five days out to make changes.... any changes. If you've booked a package, you have until 45 days out to cancel WITHOUT penalty, tho' you could make a resort switch... I'm just not certain you'll want to. Oh... one more thing....

Happy Honeymoon !!!

Genie1953
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I think you will love POR. We stayed there a little over 4 years ago and will be staying there on our next trip in April when we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. For the most part I have read only good reviews.

mom2morgan
01-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I LOVE Port Orleans Riverside! I also got worried about TripAdvisor reports, but there wasn't one thing wrong with my room or with the resort. I think people complain when they are not happy, and I think some people have very inflated ideas. If you travel a lot and are used to 5 star treatment everywhere, you might find more to complain about! I used to check out "that site" for restaurant reviews and so on, but gradually found it really depressing. Here is a classic ... one of the WDW restaurants I like had a review that said first of all that someone had spit in the reviewer's food (scratching my head as to how s/he would KNOW) and then went on to say that because of this experience they will never, ever go to WDW again. Doesn't that sound like a huge over-reaction? Anyway - I think you'll have a great stay and come home with fabulous memories :-) It is a very romantic place to stay, so perfect for a honeymoon - my favourite is the Mansions.

mama2angels
01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=NH Disneyfan;2000033]The resort is great. All Disney resorts are wonderful.

Did you get a discount? You mention spending a lot of money. Make sure you take advantage of discounts for any trip you take. You can find them here at Intercot (in the news section) or on "special offers" at the disney website.

I got the 500.00 gift card.....From what I have been reading it was either the gift card or a room discount (is that true)......We knew we were going to book a few months back just not sure when, then I saw the gift card and I called the same day.

mama2angels
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I did a lot of research and just fell in love with everything about POR...I requested the mansions, but the more I look at pics of AB I like it too! :mickey:

Darbylew
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :rocks::welcome:
You will love it here.......:thumbsup:
I think all Disney resorts are great. I have
never stayed in one that was bad. Have a
great time in the land of MICKEY :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY 2010! :D

cfoshe
01-04-2010, 09:03 PM
You have come to the right place to find out the truth about WDW. My family just got back for POR with wife's sister family also. Both stayed at POR and was great. The rooms were very clean every day, the food court clean. This resort tends to be very quiet as well. Have a great time.

elmjimmlm
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
POR in my opinion is the best...We have stayed there just about every trip and have never had a complaint about anything...We love the rooms and they are very clean...The food court is one of the best in Disney...We love each pool and we will stay there for many, many years to come...Trip advisor seems to be very hard on just about any hotel no matter where it is...I have looked on their site for many other hotels and pretty much get the same negative feedback so I don't put much into it...
I bet once you go and stay then you will love it as much as we do...Have a great time...:mickey:
(By the way, building 14 in AB is the best...It is close to everything...Just a few steps out your door to the main lobby and food court and the busses are just a few steps more)

Genie1953
01-04-2010, 10:21 PM
We have stayed at POR before and really loved it and I must say...reading all of these great reviews from those who have stayed there recently have me looking forward even more to our upcoming trip in April. Can hardly wait!

gueli
01-04-2010, 10:31 PM
1- Welcome.
2- Happy honeymoon
3- dont worry you will be at disney.

Now to the meat & potatoes-

I stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter at the beginning of December (2009).
The rooms were clean. I had heard on this website someone saying something about a room not being up to spec. I did not experience this, just the opposite. My room was very clean & the cleaning staff were great.
As they are sister resorts, PoR & FQ have very similar styles. PoR is larger, with a few bus stops. FQ is smaller (easier to get around) and only has 1 bus stop. If you choose to change resorts I would highly recommend FQ (same price, same everything as far as package cost).

With that being said- allow me
Outdated- Ok so the tvs in the rooms were not flat screens. They were older tube models.
While there, I saw maintenance doing work on exterior paint.
All Disney resorts are generally well maintained.
If you have something wrong with your room, report it. Tell the desk people right away. Do not let it bother you, tell them so the resort staff can make it better.

As far as packages & discounts- I would recommend talking with Majical Journeys. They seem to be on top of all the deals, they can run the numbers for you to determine what is best for your situation. They are a sponser of intercot...
even if you do not choose this route-

Stay the course. Your choice has been well researched by you. I am sure that you will have a very nice time.
Good Luck
:mickey:

wdwnutz
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
We stayed at POR 2008. It had beautiful grounds, quiet pools were very peaceful, good service at the food court and Boatwright's had great food and service. Rooms were nice and clean. The bus service was lousy, wait times were long several times an hour and when the buses finally got there they were full since it goes to POFQ first. (buses were the same leaving the parks too, long waits and very full since it went to 2 resorts) Several times we had to wait for more buses to come and complained to management. We were told buses had new gps systems and that was the problem....? We really liked the resort but don't know if we would stay again in a resort that shares a bus with another resort.

Mousemates
01-05-2010, 12:11 AM
just returned (today) from three nights at POR (alligator bayou section) and had a great stay...clean room, good mousekeeping, got out room preferences (upper floor in AB), easy check in....my only dislike of the resort was the rather confusing maze of paths and seemingly random numbering of buildings in the section we stayed in...I actuaslly got temporarily displaced (lost was the term my wife used) both going to our car and coming back to the room on the first night...but other than that (and the cold temperatures) everything was great....including the nightly entertainment from the pianist in the hotel bar...he was a hoot. We'd go back.

aurora, ariel, and bell
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Just a quick response. We always went every year since 1999 and stayed in POR. One year we decided to try something else and booked Carribean Beach. When we got to the hotel we decided we missed POR and the staff was more than happy to change us to POR. We were on the free dining at the time.
POR is my favorite resort and we usually stay in the mansions!

Have a great time!

DVC2004
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
We were just at POR Riverside mansions a few weeks ago. It was our first stay there. It was very clean and I didn't think it was outdated at all. We usually stay DVC and Deluxe, and we all said we'd stay there again.

Mitzie
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Ditto on all who love POR. Stayed there alittle over a year ago in the AB section...LOVED IT!. We went to BC, a nice deluxe and found ourselves missing POR!. Have now stayed at all three moderate resorts and POR is our favorite. :thumbsup:

PetefromRI
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I've got to agree with everyone.We prefer POFQ over POR because we like the smaller size,but POR is beautiful.We stayed at AB but the mansions looked really nice and the quiet pools are awesome.I use TripAdvisor all the time and I also submit reviews and I've learned how to read a hotel snob in the first couple of sentences.I think that some people are accustomed to the Ritz Carlton or Villa resorts and when they get to Disney they complain that the rooms are too small or that there isn't always a Spa on site.I've read where people have complained that there were paper wrappers behind the T.V. and clothes Bureau.How they got behind there I'll never know.Then come the close ups of a speckle of mold on the floor right against the tub,or the lovebug on the ceiling,then from there it's all downhill.
You'll love this place and make sure that you see Bob the piano player,he's really funny.

A&M'sMommy
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
We were there in 9/08 and loved it! If my kids were smaller we'd stay there again, they loved the pool. But two adults and two kids, 13 and 6 in two full beds didn't work best for. It was very clean and my hubby is former military and brutal about cleanliness, I call him the Bleach King! It was fine, you'll love it!!! Have fun :)

Ian
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
My Mom just stayed at POR a couple months ago and she had no complaints. I've stayed there myself and I'd have to say it's probably my favorite of all the moderate resorts. I've never had any problems at all.

As far as the rooms being outdated ... I mean that's sort of an odd comment, because the resort is themed to the turn of the century South. Outdated is kind of the point? Look I mean it's not a state of the art, top-tier Ritz-Carlton or anything, but you're going to get a functional hotel room with a bed and a shower and a sink.

The only area I'll say that might be a concern is with housekeeping. I have heard quite a few bad reviews here on INTERCOT from folks who have had dirty rooms or rooms that didn't get cleaned ... things like that. In fact, my Mom a few years ago was assigned a room that had never been cleaned after the last guests left. She complained to the front desk and I'd have to quantify their response as less than satisfying.

But the truth is that can and does happen at hotels all over the country. I definitely don't think you're at any greater risk of that at POR than you are anywhere else.

I say go ... stay ... enjoy yourselves and HAVE FUN!!

#1donaldfan
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
...We've only ever done POR and for the reason's stated previously....trust me, if it were outdated, dirty, run-down, nasty place, I wouldn't be a multiple trip returner.....put you mind at ease and have a great trip...:mickey:

aelander
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
We stayed at POR in the Alligator Bayou section in June of last year. We had a wonderful experience. The room was spacious and very clean. The atmosphere is beautiful and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I think that you will have a wonderful time! :mickey:

bruin1344
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
i stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landings and loved it

KatrinaJ91
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
POR in my opinion is the best...We have stayed there just about every trip and have never had a complaint about anything...We love the rooms and they are very clean...The food court is one of the best in Disney...We love each pool and we will stay there for many, many years to come...
I bet once you go and stay then you will love it as much as we do...Have a great time...:mickey:
(By the way, building 14 in AB is the best...It is close to everything...Just a few steps out your door to the main lobby and food court and the busses are just a few steps more)

I agree with everything you wrote here! We were at POR in July and LOVED it....if you have read any of my other posts, you will see I go on and on about it! :blush: Our room was very clean, a good size and very well themed! The grounds are simply amazing. I agree that the POR food court is one of the best in WDW. We were in Bldg 15 Alligator Bayou and really enjoyed our entire stay. Bldg 14 is a great choice....we thought of asking for it on our next trip. So....we were there in July and will definitely be staying at POR on our next trip!

garymacd
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I have to agree with everything everyone said here especially gueli and bruin1344. POR is great. We only stayed there one trip (in the Mansions when it was Dixie Landing) but have stayed several times at POFQ and have never had anything less than a wonderful experience! Since they are sister resorts the quality between them is equal.

We prefer POFQ for the size and New Orleans theming, but POR has a very quaint feel to it. As for refreshing and updating the theming - hey, it's based on post-Civil War Dixie. What do you want Art Deco, or post-modern Holiday Inn? The rooms are always clean, the paint and carpets are replaced as needed. If you have a problem with your room, a quick call or visit to the front desk solves the problem very quickly.

The grounds are immaculate, the pools spectacular and the bus service is pretty good - as good as any other resort, and much better than any off-property resort. Oh, yeah! Unless you are severely diabetic, try the beignets! :cloud9: Don't forget to check out the huge working waterwheel in the dining area! It is just so cool! Our daughters were mesmerised by it.

As for changing resorts: don't bother! You are already staying at one of the best moderate resorts. The main difference between POFQ and POR is the size. Why not go and take a walk around POFQ when you get there? Then you can decide on staying there next time (not if, but when). The only other resort I would consider upgrading to is Wilderness Lodge. Again the theming is the main draw for us.

Don't worry about the complainers. The grapes they grow are probably all sour anyway.:blush:

Oh, I almost forgot: Welcome to Intercot and Happy Honeymoon! Get your special buttons at the front desk or at the Guest Relations desk at the parks. Sometimes, special magic things happen when you wear them!

Ricbr
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I think you are going to enjoy it.

I have stayed at POR twice....once when it was the Dixie Landings Resort and once when it was just POR. Both times we have stayed in the Mansion section and it was lovely.

We also just planned/booked another trip at the end of July/beginning of August for 17 people to stay at POR ...that should be interesting :party2:

But we requested the Bayou section for the trundle beds. I hear that is supposed to be a nice section as well.

The food court, the pools, the grounds of the place....all well thought out and put together nicely.

Make sure you take a horse and carriage ride around the hotel if you think about it.

julyjewel
01-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I just stayed there in the Masnions about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Our rooms were clean and the grounds were immaculate! The service was great and could not ask for a better food court. I can't wait to stay there again.:thumbsup:

ToraTory
01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
POR Rocks! I agree with all the positive things everyone else said. Here's a few more cool things:

1. Piano Bob!!
2. Really big food court with lots of choices
3. Nice sit-down resturant

Ignore any negative feedback (especially on a site other than Intercot) and enjoy the resort on your own terms.

You will have a wonderful time :) -- tory

mama2angels
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Make sure you take a horse and carriage ride around the hotel if you think about it.

DH and I are really looking forward to the carriage ride. Do you have to pay cash for the carriage ride or can you put it on a debit card?

mom2morgan
01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
DH and I are really looking forward to the carriage ride. Do you have to pay cash for the carriage ride or can you put it on a debit card?

When we were there last Christmas you had to pay cash.

SuzieN
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Be sure to take a walk through the mansion section at night with your hubby. It is simply breathtaking and soooo romantic!!! POR is a great choice - I'm sure you'll love it!!!:thumbsup:

ShanPooh
01-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Tripadvisor has some of the most cantakerous reviews I have ever seen for hotels anywhere!

My mom's version of roughing it is the Holiday Inn. (Her words, not mine :D ) She and my dad had a wonderful time at PO when they went to WDW last time (three years ago). They used stay at the least expensive on-site room they could get and now I think they really have their hearts set on PO.

HAVE FUN!