PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness Question

rkmemkc
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Hello there friends. I am coming 'home' in 26 days. This will be my 25th time and I have a challenge that I have never experienced. I am traveling with a family who experiences motion sickness. There are certain rides that are a definate no (MTP, RnRC, MS etc) but the few maybes have raised the questions of dramamine. Has anyone had this come up? Any advice? Thanks so much!!

Go Ravens...going to the Playoffs. :D

cajundisneyfreak
01-03-2010, 11:43 PM
I bought the Wal-Mart brand of motion sickness medicine.I took 2 every morning before leaving my hotel room.I was good to go all day.I get motion sickness real easy.It was nice to be able to enjoy the rides.Hope this helps.Have a great time at the most magical place on earth!!! :mickey:

Kenny1113
01-04-2010, 06:47 AM
I take bonine ( for the water :sick:). It's a nondrowsy Med for motion sickness.

KathyMJ
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I second "Bonine". I took it on my cruise in Dec. and it was wonderful. I am very sensitive to most medications like this...they usually put me right to sleep. I had absolutely no side effects from Bonine.
However, every medicine is different for each individual.

wildernesslady
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I have used the less drowsy Dramamine for cruising and it works great. The key is to start taking it about 2 days before the trip. It needs to get into your system. I never feel bad when I'm taking it.

MushuGrl
01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Another vote for Less Drowsy Dramamine. I get bad motion sickness on fast rides, anymore when I'm just riding in the car as well. It knocks it right out and doesn't make me the least bit sleepy.

KylesMom
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I've tried Dramamine, Less-Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine. Dramamine totally knocks me out; Less-Drowsy Dramamine, while better, still makes me sleepy. I now take one Bonine tablet in the mornings if I know we're going to be riding Expedition Everest (backwards motion) or Star Tours (back rows), as those are the two attractions that really get me. As far as Mission: Space, we just don't go on Team Orange! With the teacups, I just make sure the guys are alternating directions every 5-10 seconds.

DS also has motion sickness issues, but refuses to take any medicine for it. If we know we're going in a car for awhile, he'll put on his "SeaBand pressure wristbands". It helps him pretty well with the car sickness . . .

bruin1344
01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
non-Drowsy Dramamine should be fine, MS Orange makes me nauseous, never tried to Dramamine with that ride

Tink#64
01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Another vote here for Bonine! :number1: I have had to deal with motion sickness my whole life, thankfully it has gotten better as I've gotten older. But my DS's also have it! Yay! What fun! I'd always given them Dramamine but when I saw Bonine at Kroger I asked the pharmacist about it & he said that he recommended the Bonine over Dramamine, it only has to be taken once a day, less drowsy & he said that it had been previously only available via prescription. Note that Dramamine Less Drowsy formula isn't for young children, I believe it says ages - 12 & up. Bonine works great for motion sickness & anytime my DS's just have those icky stomach times! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
On our last (non-Disney) trip we tried chewable Bonine with our DDs (divided into quarters, one quarter each), and it worked wonderfully, all day! Plus, they were raspberry flavored and much easier to get them to take.

RBrooksC
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I get motion sick but many times I am having too much fun to really "feel" it except for Mission: Space.

But I skip the meds because they make me drowsy.

I usually go with ginger ale. There have been studies that have shown ginger to work better than any motion sickness medication. So, I would say try drinking some ginger ale after something that would cause motion sickness.

WishesFan13
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Ginger pills. My DH get motion sick and we've tried ginger pills and they work great. Mythbusters on the discovery channel had an episode where they tried different remedies and then sat in a chair that spun around in circles to see what worked best. Ginger pills won, that's where we got the idea from. I bought a bottle from a heath food store in my area and it's lasted a while. DH just takes one about 1/2 hour before the ride and he feels fine.

Lizzie
01-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I get motion sick on certain things and all pills make me sleepy. I go to my doctor and get a prescription for patches you wear behind your ear. I wear them for the flight and than a couple of days after and hit the rides first that really affect me.

Though I still won't do Star Tours anymore.