PDA

View Full Version : Staying At Pop For The First Time

DisneyPrincess21
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Hello all,
I recently found out that we are going to be able to make a short trip to WDW for 4 nights at the end of February! I am supper excited, We have to go cheap this trip since we just went in December (long story, but that trip didn't pan out well, which is why we are going back so soon)

Any who, We are able to go if we stay at a Value resort, I have always wanted to stay at Pop because I am into the "retro" "kitchy" stuff. This will be my first time staying in a value resort (I have stayed at POFQ and CBR) and I was wondering how did you enjoy your stay at Pop?
How's the food court? Gift Shop?
I want to request to stay in the 60's building because that is one of my favorite era's. Has anyone stayed in that building before?

Any stories or tips would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Genie1953
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
We have never stayed there but would like to do so in the future sometime. Does anyone know what the status is on the partly finished section of Pop. Are there any plans in the works for finishing that section?

NH Disneyfan
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Stayed at All Star Movies last year, my first time in value and loved it. Since Pop is newer, I'd assume you'll have a great time. The buildings are very appealing to the eye and the landscaping (at least at AS) was great. I very much felt like I was at Disney the whole time.

Enjoy!

BigThunderFan
01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
We stayed in the 60s building by the main pool and loved it! The food court is great, you MUST try the tie-dye cheesecake. Plenty of choices for any eater. Obviously there are no TS restaurants, but you can get those anywhere else.

I have seen on other posts that the Legendary Years section is still a ghost town across the lake. Actually you can see a sad video of it on YouTube. But I still highly recommend Pop.:thumbsup:

Genie1953
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I had seen that video and I agree.....so very sad. I do hope that they finish the Legendary Years section.....would really add alot to Pop I think.

Lovin'ThatMouse
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I haved stayed at Pop twice and have loved it both times! It is very family friendly and very cool in all of its exaggerated icons and cool rooms. You could spend several hours just touring the resort and walking down Memory Lane!
The food court was great. Great variety and never had a bad meal there. Never wanted for anything while I was there. The staff was helpful in explaining the dining plan the first I used it. A++++
The gift was always stocked! There were a lot of things that I loved in the parks and then found in our gift shop! Even better! Have a great time!

disneydeb
01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Pop is great! Have fun. We stayed in the 60's section last December.
The tie -dyed cheese cake is good.:thumbsup:

no hot tub, but that is not what I go to Disney for anyway.:mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
01-03-2010, 11:30 PM
The food court is great, you MUST try the tie-dye cheesecake.

The tie -dyed cheese cake is good.:thumbsup:

Ah, The legendary tie-dye cheesecake, I have heard of this many times, and I am for sure going to put that on my "Must try" list :D (I also have my eye on the fluff n nutter sandwich and the nacho's with cheese) :secret:

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys I am getting SUPER EXCITED! It will be a trip for me and my mom again this time, and while I love the 60's (music,tv,pop culture etc) I never got to experience that era myself firsthand, but I am sure my mom will have fun recalling the stuff from her childhood.

My mom is a heart patient and can't walk long distances that often or do steps too well, so I am for sure going to note that on the reservations and hope for the best.So, can anyone suggest the building in the 60's section that is the closest to the food court and gift shop, We can't afford the extra cost of the "preferred" room location, but the closest to that area would be appreciated.

CiaoBella312
01-04-2010, 08:26 AM
All of the '60s buildings are considered "preferred"; you can get a room in them IF they aren't already booked by people paying the extra money. A couple of tips:

1) The '50s and the '70s buildings are not too far from bus stops and the main building, and may be a good choice for you. The entire grounds are "scooter" or wheelchair friendly. I would ask for a ground floor room, but there are elevators if you are on an upper floor.

2) If you or your mom are on any medications that require medication, you can get the refrigerator that normally costs $10 a day at no charge, so note that if you need it.

3) I would suggest not doing the online check in, but checking in at the front desk. If you do online check in, they will pre-do all your stuff, including room selection. I arrived last weekend (the 27th) which is a very busy time, and even with that, I arrived at 10:37 a.m. and was completely done with check in and in line for the bus at 11:00 a.m. I was unhappy with the first room they offered me, and they showed me several rooms until I found one I was happy with. This may help you, as they show you on a map of the grounds where the room they want to place you in is.

4) I think they changed the Tye Dye Cheesecake; I remembered it as being almost all cheesecake, but this last visit, it seemed the bottom half was "red velvet" type cake with a cheesecake top. It is very attractive to look at, but not as "cheesecake-y" as it used to be. I am convinced this is another cost saving measure (cheesecake is more expensive to make than regular cake).

5) Food court has lots of good choices; there are topped flatbreads as a lunch choice that are really good and a little different than the stuff you find in the parks.

Enjoy your stay!

Crow
01-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Ive stayed at Pop a few times and again in a few wks. liked the 50s area the best for location and quietness esp the backside where u can see the water and some fireworks from Epcot.
location is good to the parks.

MushuGrl
01-04-2010, 10:36 AM
POP is my home turf! I'm going to miss the food court so much this trip - the POP waffles are AWESOME!

BigThunderFan
01-04-2010, 05:48 PM
2) If you or your mom are on any medications that require medication, you can get the refrigerator that normally costs $10 a day at no charge, so note that if you need it.

The regular refrigerators are now $15 per day. Also, when we were there in 2008 my father who is a diabetic was with us. We asked about a fridge for his insulin and they told us it was basically just a tiny plug in cooler. It would only be big enough for his medicine and maybe a bottle of water or two. Definitely not the regular sized fridge you get if you pay for it.

98'cpTyphoonGuard
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I have stayed at Pop several different times and have been pleased everytime. This past trip we stayed at CBR due to the miltary discount. I will never stray from Pop again!

CiaoBella312
01-04-2010, 06:26 PM
The regular refrigerators are now $15 per day. Also, when we were there in 2008 my father who is a diabetic was with us. We asked about a fridge for his insulin and they told us it was basically just a tiny plug in cooler. It would only be big enough for his medicine and maybe a bottle of water or two. Definitely not the regular sized fridge you get if you pay for it.

I checked out of POP yesterday, and I can tell you we paid $9.95 per day for the refrigerator, not $15. They asked me when I requested the fridge if it were for medical purposes; I had been told once before about the "no charge" on the medical fridge, and was not told it was different than a regular fridge. In fact, one of our stays they put that it was required for medical use and gave us the fridge free because they were comping us for something (I never tell them it's for medical, I always pay and tell the truth).

Hope this helps.

DisneyPrincess21
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I checked out of POP yesterday, and I can tell you we paid $9.95 per day for the refrigerator, not $15. They asked me when I requested the fridge if it were for medical purposes; I had been told once before about the "no charge" on the medical fridge, and was not told it was different than a regular fridge. In fact, one of our stays they put that it was required for medical use and gave us the fridge free because they were comping us for something (I never tell them it's for medical, I always pay and tell the truth).

Hope this helps.

So, Let me see if I understand. If you need the fridge for medical reason's such as for medicine, they give you a small unit to store only medication and nothing else. But if you want a regular sized fridge like the ones that comes standard in the moderate rooms then you have to pay $10/day? Is that right?

I need one that I can store food,water and milk in. I have allergies and it is very hard to find things that I can eat, so I am not even going to chance it again on this trip, I am just going to bring what I know is safe.

CiaoBella312
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I have never stayed in a moderate, so I don't know what the fridges are like there. The fridge for $10 a day at Pop is a small cube fridge; we were able to fit six or eight bottles of beer and about a dozen cans of soda; it is certainly big enough for milk and some foods for you to bring.

Hope this helps.

BigThunderFan
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Hope this helps.

Well then they lied to me (or were mis-informed) when we were booking. I'm glad to hear it is the lower price and thank you for correcting me.

It ended up not mattering to us anyway as we decided to upgrade to WL and now have a fridge included.:)

AlvyOT08
01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I've stayed at the Pop twice before. It was great. I'm in my 20's and enjoyed the hotel. the pools are great, lots of fun. and it's neat to just walk around and take your pic next to all the big icons. we weren't really at the hotel that much, except to sleep. the gift shop was fine, but we bought all our stuff at the parks or DTD. we also didn't really eat there either becuase of staying on the dining plan and eating in the parks and everything. i would stay at the Pop again. everything was good, we had no problems either we were there. everyone at the ffront desk was very helpful. hope this helps.

niki:mickey:

Tink#64
01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
We've stayed at PC 4 times, and will be returning in June, it is our WDW home! We've stayed in the 60's section, bldg # 4, on the "back side" facing HourGlass Lake. We've had rooms 4237, 4238 & 4247 and from the end of the walkway there at night you can see some of IllumiNations, at least the part of the fireworks that are shot into the sky. It is a very quiet area, very little foot traffic as that is the last building at that end of the property. Also a very nice view of the lake & we love watching the wildlife in & around the lake! Last trip, we stayed standard, last minute trip, nothing in pref'd available & we were bldg # 10 of the 70's section & it was great! It was sooo close to the bus stops, with a short cut through the parking lot! Closer to the bus stops than the 60's section, but we really like the quiet feel of building #4 & so that's where we are hoping to get again in June! PC is a brightly colored & fun resort! It's perfect for us and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can. You can also pm me if you want. Best wises for a magical trip! :tink:

PixieMagic
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
We may have just had a bad experience (or we're just spoiled) but my family HATED Pop... My mother has an extremely hard time walking (back issues) and although we booked preferred and got the 60's building we were put in the last room with no other options, so it was a very slow far walk to the food court, gift shop, buses, you name it. The pool was crowded and rowdy and the the food court was almost impossible to find a table at times. The bus service was horrible as well, waiting at some times over 45 min for a bus to the park...getting home however was quick although be prepared to stand. The rooms are tiny but if it's just you and your mom they should be sufficient...

The one good aspect I will say was the food selection. This was great! Every option imaginable....far superior to the QS options at deluxe resorts.

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi! Pop is fun.

We've only stayed at Values when at WDW in the recent years.

Comparing to other Values:

Pop is newer, has it's own busses (not shared w/other resorts), clean, nice food court. I don't care as much for the themeing here as say Movies. Pop is really big, and it seems like you walk forever to the busses.

All Stars (especially Movies)-have great themeing, nice pools/playgrounds. The All Stars are not as new as Pop and you don't really notice it until you go to Pop, sharing the busses can be a pain at the end of the day.

We love the Values, without them we would never get to stay on property-we prefer Movies out of all the Values-but, we have not tried Music yet. We are park people and just go to the resort to swim and sleep. Hope this helps!

No matter what-you'll have fun and be together!:mickey:

divinedi
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
We love All Star Sports! I stayed at Pop for one night, but moved to ASSp because I didn't like Pop at all! There are as many people at Pop as are at all three of the All Star resorts combined, but only one food court! It was PACKED in the morning I was there, and it was during a value time. The busses were slow, where quite often, if it's busy, the All Stars get there own, and Sports was always first on first off, so more of a chance of a seat. The gift shops at all the All Stars are very nice, and easy to walk from one to the other if you want to see them. This is just my own opinion of course and my preference.