PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain And Big Thunder

HJL413
01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
We are getting close to our trip which begins on 1/20 and doing some serious planning

We have 3 children, DS (13), DDS (twins 10) and are not really thrill ride people. We were planning on doing Splash Mountain, however, it is closed during our trip

DW and I need some information about Space Mountain, Big Thunder and a comparison to Splash Mountain from a thrill/scare perspective

One of our twins considers Dumbo scary, however, her sister is more adventurous. I appreiate any information and advice

Gator
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, Splash is very kid friendly. It'll be closed for my trip and that was the one I was taking my little girl on. Anyway, Big Thunder may be a bit more kid friendly because you can see where you're going. Space may be a little too scary because it's pitch black. Start with Thunder, and if they like that, move on to Space.

BigThunderFan
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
You will have to take this with a grain of salt since I do like thrill rides. :thumbsup:

If you are unsure about the coasters I would start with Goofy's Barnstormer which is a very tame kids ride. If they do ok on it, you can move up to Big Thunder, then on to Space Mountain if the other two go fine and you are feeling adventurous.

Now for the disclaimer: Neither of these rides goes much over 25-28 mph if at all. In any other amusement park they wouldn't even be considered "thrill rides" but most likely kids rides with great theming. That is really what makes the rides seem so thrilling, its the scenery in Big Thunder that you seem to fly by so fast. And on Space Mountain it's the fact that you are in the dark and can't see all of the dips and turns. Space mountain is more rough of the two, but again mostly because you can't brace for the movement of the ride.

Compared to Splash Mountain, I would think it's comparing apples to oranges because the style of ride is so different. However, I would think if your kids can handle that huge drop on Splash, then nothing on Big Thunder or Space should scare them. Good luck! My DD3 is so excited to go on Big Thunder in 20 days, but is NOT happy about not being tall enough for Expedition Everest... :thumbsup:

Boost
01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
My thoughts on Big Thunder, Splash and Space Mountain:

Big Thunder is probably the most tame of the three. The drops are predictable and I don't recall any kids ever getting off it and appearing scared.

For Splash, expect to get a little wet. The biggest drop is at the end and it is long, it is fast and the first time I went on it, I screamed like a little girl (and I am a grown man).

For Space Mountain, a classic WDW ride in every sense, I highly recommend the experience. That said, because it is a dark ride, the drops are unexpected. The coaster only goes 25 MPH (in the mornings) and up to about 32 MPH (in the evenings), but again, because you are riding in the dark, it seems much faster.

For Splash and Big Thunder, you can ride side by side and for Space Mountain, you ride in cars that are three people in a line, single file.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!!!

eel
01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Ummm, I may be mistaken, but I thought that splash mountain was going to be closed in January and February. We're gonna be there from 1/24 through 1/31 and it was my understanding that it was closed. Am I confused?

Patricia
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Splash Mountain is indeed closed in Jan and Feb 2010.

The original poster was looking for alternative attractions due to the Splash closure.

eel
01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Well jeez....I do know how to read. :blush:

Frog
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
at the risk of stirring a hornets nest,
how come the speed of the ride increses as the day goes on? is this a friction thing or a decision to make it more of a thrill ride at night thing??

bruin1344
01-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Anyway, Big Thunder may be a bit more kid friendly because you can see where you're going. Space may be a little too scary because it's pitch black. Start with Thunder, and if they like that, move on to Space.

I agree

DisneyFr33k
01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I would think if your kids can handle that huge drop on Splash, then nothing on Big Thunder or Space should scare them.

This was my thought too. However, if you consider "tummy drops" thrill rides, then both Space and Thunder has them. Our family's favorite is Big Thunder - especially my son (10). And he proclaims to HATE rides with "tummy drops".

I like the idea of starting with Goofy's Barnstormer and if that goes well, go for BTM!
:thumbsup:

BigThunderFan
01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
at the risk of stirring a hornets nest,
how come the speed of the ride increses as the day goes on? is this a friction thing or a decision to make it more of a thrill ride at night thing??

As the grease on the tracks warms from repeated use it thins out and causes less friction later in the day which allows for the faster ride. :thumbsup:

Big Thunder does this too. Actually most coasters do, but you don't notice a couple miles per hour difference on a normally fast ride like you would on these.

Stu29573
01-05-2010, 09:49 AM
As the grease on the tracks warms from repeated use it thins out and causes less friction later in the day which allows for the faster ride. :thumbsup:

Big Thunder does this too. Actually most coasters do, but you don't notice a couple miles per hour difference on a normally fast ride like you would on these.

That's true. I rode BTMRR at night and was blown away with how much faster it seemed. I guess it was a combination of the dark and the faster track. You might want to make sure you take kids for their first ride on it during the early part of the day and see how they handle it...

LVT
01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree with the idea of starting on Barnstormer. It lasts about 1 minute.
The other factor I encountered is that the lap bar on Big Thunder adjusts to the bigger person and leaves the smaller one secured looser, more Air Time might not be the way to start.
Enjoy!

dismeag
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
i say it depends on the child if they like the roller costers in the dark go with space if they dont go with thunder i relly dont care for thunder because they are no doors on the cart and you feel like you are goning to fall out if you still want a water ride try the water ride in anamal kingdom it is so much fun :mickey:

SillySymphony
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Both Thunder Mtn and Space use the same physical technology to achieve the fun. The difference, as pointed out earlier, is that Space is indeed dark (much darker now than recently). Space Mtn is actually a 'Wild Mouse' coaster- one which relies on short, quick track elements like small drops and quick turns around a corner without banking. As it's in the dark, it doesn't have the same disorienting feel that 'Wild Mouse' coasters built in the light of day do. Primeval Whirl is Disney's OTHER 'Wild Mouse' attraction. If they like the sensation of swing sets they'll likely do fine with Space. Some folks have found that by giving young ones a phosphorescent light stick to hold, it takes the "dark fear' away.

Thunder is built in three phases, each with a chain lift. There is MUCH to see and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they even noticed the ride for all the sights to see...

QTPie68
01-09-2010, 01:39 AM
If you go on Big Thunder you also might consider getting in the first car, behind the "engine". That is a much more "smoother" ride and since you really can't see right in front (like a normal roller coaster) so visually not as scary. The back last car is definately more "bouncy" (which, of course, is where we always ride :number1:).

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a Nervous Nelly-DS11. He loves, absolutely loves Space Mountain-I will say we had to drag him on the first time. For him, he can't see the roller coaster, b/c it is in a building so that helped-he has a thing with heights. SM does not have any steep hills, there is one small, tiny drop, it is more rough than anything, and it is in the dark-which is good b/c they can't see what's coming.

BTMM-is fun, no drops, it goes sideways a little, it is rough and tumble. My DS4 loves it and DS11 really likes it.

Have fun!:mickey:

Rekenna
01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
As another poster said, do the Barnstormer, then BTMM and then SM. If they like these than next time do Splash Mountain-when it's opened back up. Splash Mountain is the most intense b/c of the drop at the end.

HJL413
01-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a Nervous Nelly-DS11. He loves, absolutely loves Space Mountain-I will say we had to drag him on the first time. For him, he can't see the roller coaster, b/c it is in a building so that helped-he has a thing with heights. SM does not have any steep hills, there is one small, tiny drop, it is more rough than anything, and it is in the dark-which is good b/c they can't see what's coming.

BTMM-is fun, no drops, it goes sideways a little, it is rough and tumble. My DS4 loves it and DS11 really likes it.

I thought that Space Mountain has big drops. I thought it was very fast with a number of big drops. Perhaps I am wrong. I would like to know more about the thrill part of the ride

Stu29573
01-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I thought that Space Mountain has big drops. I thought it was very fast with a number of big drops. Perhaps I am wrong. I would like to know more about the thrill part of the ride

Nope, no big drops. I'm a wimp and only rode it after I saw the track when the work lights were on. The biggest drop is less than 20 feet. It does have a lot of sharp turns, but the top speed is about 28 mph...Of course in the dark all of that seems MUCH bigger...:D

BigThunderFan
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Space Mountain is just a wild mouse style coaster. If this were outside it would not be exciting at all, most likely a younger kids ride. Like others have said, no big drops, but there are a couple quick dips that catch you off guard because you can't see them coming.

HJL413
01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Nope, no big drops. I'm a wimp and only rode it after I saw the track when the work lights were on. The biggest drop is less than 20 feet. It does have a lot of sharp turns, but the top speed is about 28 mph...Of course in the dark all of that seems MUCH bigger...:D

How does the speed and thrill compare to Test Track. I have done TT and will again so it is my best comparison for thrill and speed

BigThunderFan
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
That's like comparing Big Thunder to the WDW Railroad, you just can't do it. The two rides are that different. TT is fast, but its still pretty much like riding in a car. You can't compare that to a roller coaster in any way.

I say just give it a shot. You never know, you may love it. Or you may hate it. A LOT. But at least then you will know you never have to ride it again rather than always wondering and second guessing why you never at least tried it.

HJL413
01-17-2010, 07:14 PM
That's like comparing Big Thunder to the WDW Railroad, you just can't do it. The two rides are that different. TT is fast, but its still pretty much like riding in a car. You can't compare that to a roller coaster in any way.

I say just give it a shot. You never know, you may love it. Or you may hate it. A LOT. But at least then you will know you never have to ride it again rather than always wondering and second guessing why you never at least tried it.

I agree with your suggestion and will post the results in a trip report when we return