PDA

View Full Version : Resort Mugs or Not?

Aunt Terri
01-03-2010, 08:29 AM
I am planning a Dec 2010 vacation for 7 ppl and was wondering about buying mugs. In the pass we bought them, but didn't use them much because we was always in the parks and if we did go to the food court, we had the dining plan and it comes with drinks. And does anyone know the price and what the new ones will look like. Thanks for any info you can provide.:D

BigRedDad
01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
The price is almost $14 after tax I believe. If you look at it as a souvenir, it is worth it. If you are not going to get at least 2-3 drinks a day, it is not that much of a benefit. For me, I take a small bottle of liquor when I go. It helps to keep the cost of the mixers down to go with it.

wdwnutz
01-03-2010, 11:05 AM
We buy the mugs too. We generally eat breakfast in our room or on the run so we usually stop by the foodcourt to fill our mugs to take to the parks. Then we'll use our mugs at the parks to keep drinks cold during the day. On the way back to our room at the end of the day we refill our mugs again. Also if we go back to the resort in the afternoon we refill them. So as you see we get alot of use out of them during the trip! And like the previous post said they make great souvenirs! When we get home we use them on the go for trips, work, etc.

kakn7294
01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
We never buy the mugs. We don't spend much time at the resort and don't usually eat at the food courts. We would never make a trip to the drink station just to fill the mugs. We almost always stay at a moderate so there is a coffeemaker in the room. We also usually drive so we stop at Walmart and buy some soft drinks and bottled water for in the room and to take with us to the parks so the mugs aren't a good deal for us. And as far as a souvenir, I have so many travel mugs of all sorts that I don't need them - I'd rather put the money into a pin or some jewelry.

bob6572
01-03-2010, 11:46 AM
At $14 that is one $2 beverage (coffee, soda, lemonade) a day to be worth it. Breakfast or a walk around the resort at night and you will probably grab that one drink.

mom2morgan
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
It's worth it for my teens, who are willing to run back and forth between the room and the food quart, and the boy drinks a lot of soda. I didn't find them all that handy - I go from my room, to the food court, to the parks - and don't want the hassle of going BACK to the room to drop off the mug. I travel really light at the parks - no purse or bag, just a waist pouch for essentials, so I have no place to pack the mug. Also, I drink mainly milk and juice (which arent' included). However,

MushuGrl
01-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I would say it would depend on how much you visit food court. In 2007, we too had the dining plan, and were staying at Carribbean Beach. We had quite a hoof to food court, so we didn't visit it that much and didn't buy the mugs for that reason (and like you said, drinks were included in our meal. We just grabbed our coffee in park.)

Last year we stayed at Pop, wasn't far into food court, and we hit it up for drinks in the morning, during our midday rest, and at night. (RIP frozen cokes), making it WELL worth the money.

Genie1953
01-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I am planning a Dec 2010 vacation for 7 ppl and was wondering about buying mugs. In the pass we bought them, but didn't use them much because we was always in the parks and if we did go to the food court, we had the dining plan and it comes with drinks. And does anyone know the price and what the new ones will look like. Thanks for any info you can provide.:D

We will be purchasing the mugs. We are on the dining plan also but somewhere I read a tip that we are going to try on our next trip......get a bottled water/softdrink as the drink part of your counter service meal at your resort but save it for later...then just use your refillable mug for your drink with meal.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
We will be purchasing the mugs. We are on the dining plan also but somewhere I read a tip that we are going to try on our next trip......get a bottled water/softdrink as the drink part of your counter service meal at your resort but save it for later...then just use your refillable mug for your drink with meal.

If you are going to buy the mug AND the DDP, that is a great idea!

SillySymphony
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
We have quite a collection of mugs here.... I find my morning coffee tastes bests when served in a CBR mug... However, there is one part of your post that stuck out in my mind. You will be there in December, not exactly "high heat" season. We're generally underfoot in summer.... so the hike from the pool to the food court is both a bit of fun and needful. I'm not sure you'll be doing much dogpaddling.... So, for me, at least, I'd be passing up a new mug in favor of grabbing my own drink from the in-room fridge...

Disney-Nut
01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
i like buying a new mug each time. its a great souvenir.

#1donaldfan
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
We use 'em....our kids are teens so they are the designated drink runners...actually, they like filling them with hot chocolate in the morning and in December that's a plus, even though the temp is not "that" low....they are not a huge savings, we just seem to always have 'em each trip....I would suggest that you not get one for each person in your party, as at least one of ours is always empty, we seem to fill only a few of 'em each day / evening...:cool:

thejens
01-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I've read this post with interest since we have lots of Disney mugs by now. We usually get them more for the souvenir value since we are not big soda drinkers. I have decided that if the resorts had decent (real, not Nescafe) coffee and any healthy drink for kids (chocolate milk or juice would be nice) I would definitely get the mugs. However, the offerings of nescafe and sprite do not really please us.

Lovin'ThatMouse
01-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I have bought them for the past two years and will buy another one this year. I love getting to my room after a long day at a park, grabbing my cup and getting a "free" drink. I know nothing at Disney is free but it sure feels like it! I say get them...another souvenir to use everyday and a nice reminder of a great vacation!

Crow
01-04-2010, 10:15 AM
i get the mugs. coffee soda in am on way to bus. and i agree on usin them for mixers. disappointed i just heard icees are gone from Pop though. souvenirs. i have a few of them.

d_m_n_n
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
We used to buy them on every trip for our family. However after being on the dining plan and starting to drive our own vehicle, we haven't found much use for them. If they were still resort specific we might buy one as a souvenir, but being generic I don't see much of a need anymore.

Mickey91
01-04-2010, 11:30 AM
We have quite a collection of mugs here.... I find my morning coffee tastes bests when served in a CBR mug... However, there is one part of your post that stuck out in my mind. You will be there in December, not exactly "high heat" season. We're generally underfoot in summer.... so the hike from the pool to the food court is both a bit of fun and needful. I'm not sure you'll be doing much dogpaddling.... So, for me, at least, I'd be passing up a new mug in favor of grabbing my own drink from the in-room fridge...
Ahh, but as you have already pointed out, they make great coffee/hot cocoa mugs!:mickey: We love to fill up with a hot beverage in the morning, and then a cold one "for the road". December at WDW is so unpredictable. It can be 80+ one day and 40 the next. So either way, I think the mug is a great way to go. And, like a previous poster stated, when at your resort, you can always get a bottled drink with your DDP and use the counter to fill up your mug. Then you have a nice "free" drink for later. You can even get free ice at the counter service places to cool the bottled drink down if you need to.:cool: Have a great trip!

Mickey91
01-04-2010, 11:33 AM
We used to buy them on every trip for our family. However after being on the dining plan and starting to drive our own vehicle, we haven't found much use for them. If they were still resort specific we might buy one as a souvenir, but being generic I don't see much of a need anymore.
Yeah, I think they cut their own throats on this one. On a good year, we might go down two or three times and stay at different resorts. Definitely not going to talk me into buying the same mug three times, but I would probably buy the resort specific ones.

Bellerella
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
We loved having our mugs on our last trip- we stayed at AKL, and had breakfast at the Mara each morning, and we were able to fill our mugs then. We returned to our lodge for an afternoon break, and refilled again. And then at night, we would refill agin before heading to our rooms for the evening. Of course, I am addicted to Dr. Pepper, and that was my only way to get my daily fix lol!!

KatrinaJ91
01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
We always get the mugs. It is so worth the money for us! The whole family loves their pop (soda). We did the Quick Service Dining Plan this past summer. We had the mugs and we would get bottled water or juice with the meals and not drink them but use our mugs. Then we would take the mugs and bottled drinks back to the room and have drinks for the evening or next morning for breakfast! On a side note, we would use desserts as quick breakfasts as well since you only get 2 meals per day....so we would always get dessert with our meals and not eat them, but save them for the next morning!

We always visit in the summer, so nothing can beat drinking my hot tea out of my Disney mug in the morning when I am driving through snow in the winter!

Suz36
01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
We get them every trip. Tea/coffee for the AM, sodas at night. And they just make me smile when I use them at home! Has a new design been spotted for this year? I'd be surprised if it was.