PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay? so confused...

mom2morgan
01-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I've never been to Disneyland before, and I'm finding the idea of choosing a hotel intimidating. We usually do Disney World and stay in one of their resorts. For Disneyland it looks like I can be just about as close and save a lot of money by staying off site, but I have no idea what is good. Can you suggest any hotels that are a good balance of nice place and reasonable prices? Alternately - am I really missing out by not staying on site? (I have noticed that all the DLR hotels are about what you'd pay for the top level - deluxe - at WDW).

seanyred
01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Never stayed on property at DL but have recently stayed at the Extended Stay America which was about a 15 Minute walk from the hotel to DL. The hotel was nice and reasonably priced. Hope that helps.

Disney4us2
01-03-2010, 02:14 AM
My favorite off site is the Park Vue Inn. It is directly across the street from the DLR. I have been there several times and like it. Last time we were there I got a room with one queen and bunk beds. My DD loved that:) I think it is closer that the Disneyland hotel. There is an IHOP just across the parking lot, kind of pricey since it is so close to Disneyland. I have also stayed at the Tropicana (across the street and down a couple of hotels). I have pics if you want to see them, just pm me.:mickey:

NotaGeek
01-03-2010, 04:18 AM
I've never been to Disneyland before, and I'm finding the idea of choosing a hotel intimidating. We usually do Disney World and stay in one of their resorts. For Disneyland it looks like I can be just about as close and save a lot of money by staying off site, but I have no idea what is good. Can you suggest any hotels that are a good balance of nice place and reasonable prices? Alternately - am I really missing out by not staying on site? (I have noticed that all the DLR hotels are about what you'd pay for the top level - deluxe - at WDW).
Hey there, here's a LINK (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162336) to a past post that has lots of info, and some of my favorites are listed in my post there. I have recently stayed at the Ramada Maingate again and it's turning out to be my favorite non-DLR hotel ... and I only paid $70 a night! Definitely consider the properties right across Harbor, having an easy 5 minute walk to the Resort is SO nice! Be sure and check out the Resort section under Good Neighbor Hotels -- and if you haven't thought about you can check with Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/) -- they might have some insight to great deals on DLR Hotels that you missed -- I have gotten rooms at about $100 a night at both the Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel!

LittleRoosMommy
01-03-2010, 09:46 AM
We are like you... we usually do WDW, but we went to DL a few years ago. We found a great room at the Marriott Courtyard which is directly across the street from DL. There a many different Marriott properties within walking distance. There are also a few that offer free shuttle service to DL as well.

Definitely check out the Good Neighbor hotels on the DL website.

robnadina
01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I think it depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. If you are not planning on spending much time there then you really need only the bare necessities, and there are alot of off property hotels that are very reasonably priced and within a 5-10 min walk.
There are so many choices at the DL resort that it really is based on preference. If you can afford to stay on property, than why not?
Personally, I like the Ramada Maingate & Fairfield Inn. Both have comfortable rooms and they are always clean. The pools are nice (if you are going to use them), and the walking is such a breeze. The only gripe I have with these hotels is the parking can be a nightmare certain times of the year.
The best advice I can give on staying at the DL resort, is do your research and focus on what is important to your family. You shouldnt have to pay a ton to have a great time.
Good Luck

CaptSmee
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
We went to DL for the 1st time this past Sept and stayed at Grand Californian. I can't imagine staying anywhere else! It reminded us of Wilderness Lodge at WDW and was uber convenient having it's own entrance to California Adventure, and a quick 5 min walk through DDT to get to Disneyland's main gate. It was incredible!

Magic Smiles
01-13-2010, 08:03 AM
We went to DL for the 1st time this past Sept and stayed at Grand Californian. I can't imagine staying anywhere else! It reminded us of Wilderness Lodge at WDW and was uber convenient having it's own entrance to California Adventure, and a quick 5 min walk through DDT to get to Disneyland's main gate. It was incredible!
I have to second this. We went for the first time in Aug 09 and stayed at the Grand Californian. It is however expensive, but at that time so worth it for us.

EtteDMS
01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
:thumbsup:We were delighted with the Candy Cane Inn, just across the entrance road to DL (on the same side of the street). The rooms have just been renovated and are lovely, the staff is very friendly and accommodating, and the entrance has lots of atmosphere, with very pretty landscaping. Also, the complementary breakfast was fresh and full of options. Plus, you could eat out by the pool. I highly recommend it.

coloradowendyl
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I love the Disneyland Hotel..the grand old lady of the Disney resorts lol! Something about it just touches me!

For Good Neighbor resorts, the Candy Cane is a definite favorite. I have had clients compare it in feeling to POFQ in some respects in terms of the cozy feeling!

Wendy

frozman
01-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Please look at my signature, and you'll notice that I'm a lot like you and many others posting here... Typically did Disney World, tried Disneyland for the first time 3 years ago (and am going again in 2 days :thumbsup:)

We stayed in the Disneyland Hotel. You are correct in pretty much everything you've said:
-> The price range of all "on site" hotels are comparable to the Deluxe resorts of Disney World (Animal Kingdom, Contemporary, ETC)
-> You CAN get a closer room by being off site, with the obvious exception of Grand Californian which someone mentioned has it's own CalAdv entrance. There is also a Monorail station very close to the Disneyland Hotel that will take you right into tomorrowland.

The on site Disneyland Hotels (all 3) don't have an elaborate theme like the Deluxes in Disney World. The Disneyland Hotel was simply a large holiday inn with some nice amenities (and service). Although, it was nice to walk through downtown disney to get to the parks rather than down a street in a city I was unfamiliar with, I don't think it was worth the extra $$. Good experience though, staying at the "Original"

Enjoy your trip.