PDA

View Full Version : SSR or Beach Club

Schmiv
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding where to stay for our upcoming trip Aug. 2010. We are a family of 5 - me, DH, DS(9), DS(7), DS(2). My first thought was to stay at the AK Villas and stay in a studio. After checking out the boards I quickly found out that the prices were better for a 1 bedroom:eyes: at either SSR or Beach Club. DH wasn't happy with AK Villas as he felt it was too far from everything other than AK so we are off AK Villas.

Now the question is which resort is better for location and taking into consideration that we will be there in the dead of summer and will be swimming when not in the park.:help:

Thanks!

mom2morgan
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I haven't been to either and would like to learn more about SSR - but from my reasearch and what I've seen on these boards, the pool area at Beach Club (Stormalong Bay) is pretty much the best on property! If you are going to swim a lot that might be a big factor.

TinksDH
01-02-2010, 10:55 PM
We've stayed at both.

BCV has probably the best pool area of all WDW-area resorts. Plus it's just a short boat ride or walk to the back gate of EPCOT, which is very convenient for getting home after watching IllumiNations. It's also just across the lake from Boardwalk, which gives you even more to do.

SSR is a huge resort, and it is very nice and well-landscaped. It's a short boatride to Downtown Disney, so if you think you'll be shopping or eating down there, you may find it convenient. However, it's not close to any park nor is its pool as nice as SAB. Plus, it takes a little extra time to get in and out of SSR as the buses go through the entire property.

Having 3 kids spread out age-wise the same as you as well (15, 13, 8), I'd suggest BCV over SSR. Regardless, you can't go wrong with either as they are both nice properties.

pirateyankee80
01-02-2010, 11:20 PM
:number1:Well, the BC allways wins with us. We have tried to stay at another resort but we allways end up going to BC. The pool is the best, spread out and never seems crowded, and has a small water fall the older DS's will love. The pool has a giant slide that the older DS's will just love too. (if your DS's are anything like mine). It is a very short walk to EPCOT, where the best restaurants are, and a short boat ride to the DS. Your DH can walk over to the ESPN zone for wings while you put the DS#3 down for a nap. :cloud9:You can roll out of bed for a great character breakfast too !:thumbsup:
Just wanted to give you an un-biased opinion sweetie;)

Aurora
01-03-2010, 01:01 AM
As an SSR DVC owner, if your priorities are location and pool, Beach Club wins, hands down, no question. The BC villas are the closest to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot than any other resort, and the only resort that's closer to a park is the new Bay Lake Tower to the Magic Kingdom. And there's no better resort pool on property.

Now if you are open to not staying at a villa, the Polynesian hotel, IMHO, has the best transportation options, and also has a fantastic pool. The resort is a stop on the Magic Kingdom monorail, and it's the only resort where you can walk to a direct monorail to either the Magic Kingdom or to Epcot (via the Ticket and Transportation Center right next door).

The volcano pool is a zero depth which has a direct view of the Magic Kingdom, and at night, during the fireworks, which you can watch right from the pool, the music is piped into the pool area, and under the water too. It's fabulous.

With the age of your third child (2), you can definitely fit five to a room at the Poly. Just wanted to give you a third option.

bruin1344
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Ive never stayed at SSR but been there multiple times on DVC tours. Ive stayed at BC and BCV multiple times. Although SSR is a beautiful resort, BC wins hand down. BC has the best location since its a very short walk to Epcot and Boardwalk and its walkable distance to DHS. Walking beats waiting for the bus. Stormalong Bay is one of the best pools of all the resorts. SSR location stinks because its further away from the 4 parks and DTD is not my cup of tea now that PI closed. Also, once I was trapped at SSR resort for awhile waiting for the bus.

DVC2004
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
BC- the location is great, as is the pool complex. I own at SSR but I would say go for Beach Club if you have the oportunity.