PDA

View Full Version : i think we might have to cancel our trip :(

dumbo_buddy
01-02-2010, 03:24 PM
i'm so depressed i could vomit.

DH and i are all set to go to WDW on january 24th with our son who will be 7 months at the time. i've been planning since pretty much before he was born. i have every list imaginable and i'm so ready to go. sure, i'm anxious about traveling and everything but once we're there i'll be so happy to be in DISNEY!!!

for the last two weeks though, DS has been waking up in the middle of the night SCREAMING! two nights ago he was up from 1:30am - 4:30am and we couldn't get him back to sleep at all. last night was better with him only up for an hour or so. still, he's really been upset. i don't know if it's teething or the fact that we've introduced solids and he's extra gassy or what...but i don't think we can have him screaming in a hotel room all night. imagine being next to a screaming baby??!! i just couldn't do that to my fellow disney travelers.

my only hope is that he'll get over this phase, if it is one, by the time we go. or maybe since it's january and not as busy we can request that nobody be on either side of us (doubtful they can accommodate that).

he's totally fine during the day and absolutely LOVES going out for walks in the stroller, going to the zoo, and today even we're heading out to the aquarium so i really think that he'll love all the things to look at in disney. but, ugh, i don't know.

disneydeb
01-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Please take him to the pediatrician and have his ears checked. If it is not his ears the pediatrcian may have a clue. Tell him about your upcoming Disney trip. If he prescribes antibiotics ask your pediatrician if he can eat yogurt , if he can this will decrease the side effects of the antibiotic.

Good luck!

dumbo_buddy
01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Please take him to the pediatrician and have his ears checked. If it is not his ears the pediatrcian may have a clue. Tell him about your upcoming Disney trip. If he prescribes antibiotics ask your pediatrician if he can eat yogurt , if he can this will decrease the side effects of the antibiotic.

Good luck!

thank you! i actually just called his doctor and she said it sounds like teething but to bring him in if it continues to check the ears. she said since he doesn't have a cold or a fever that it is probably just teething.

regardless, i'm going to bring him in on monday to have his ears checked.

JoDisney
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Not to fret, you and the baby would enjoy the trip so much more when he older. The main thing is take care of the precious bundle of joy now. The trip will still be there when he is feeling better. You will feel better, too.

jwildflower1981
01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I found that Motrin was the best pain reliever for my DD's (15 months) teething. It also has an antiflamtory to help your lil guy.
I'm sending some :pixie: for your :baby::
Good luck!

fielin
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Where were you planning to stay ?

Have you considered staying in a cabin at Fort Wilderness ? This would give you more privacy and avoid being too concerned about the noise.

dumbo_buddy
01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Where were you planning to stay ?

Have you considered staying in a cabin at Fort Wilderness ? This would give you more privacy and avoid being too concerned about the noise.
i was thinking about that. we're staying at POFQ and the upgrade to a cabin would unfortunately be way too much.

mdhiggin
01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
One thing I recommend for crying babies is a full body massage. Get some baby lotion and give them a good massage all over for a few minutes. My babies loved this. It's very relaxing for them. Also, try whispering to them when they're crying. A lot of times they'll stop crying so they can hear what you're saying. These tricks are just for fussiness, of course, not for any serious problem your child may have.

dumbo_buddy
01-02-2010, 07:46 PM
One thing I recommend for crying babies is a full body massage. Get some baby lotion and give them a good massage all over for a few minutes. My babies loved this. It's very relaxing for them. Also, try whispering to them when they're crying. A lot of times they'll stop crying so they can hear what you're saying. These tricks are just for fussiness, of course, not for any serious problem your child may have.

:thumbsup: excellent advice! i never thought about the whispering!

NH Disneyfan
01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
We took our son to Disney when he was 10 months and 14 months. Both times, he was up pretty much all night for the first day. He would go to sleep around 8-9 and then a couple hours later, wake up screaming. We'd try to get him to calm down, but no luck for 3-5 hours each time. I basically took him down to the lobby (Wilderness Lodge) and grounds (Boardwalk) in the stroller and he calmed down. However, no luck getting him to sleep for hours.

Babies are constantly changing and going through phases, don't over-react and think about canceling now, you'll probably be fine to go.

Will you be taking future trips? I thought that a trip with our little baby would be fun, and while we had a good time, the best times have been at age 3,4,5 and coming up in two weeks. My son & daughter are now 6&4 and they are talking all about Disney, what they want to do, etc. The trips change every time as they grow.

Have fun!

Buttercup
01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Don't NOT go to Disney because your baby is crying overnight. You're not the first person to go to POFQ with a crying baby! :mickey:
My kids both went when they were infants: my son was 8 months and my daughter was 4 months. They weren't (and still aren't) very good sleepers, but one thing always happened to us at WDW. They got so exhausted during the day with stuff going on that they slept like ROCKS every night in the hotel. Or, maybe it was just the Disney Magic. :D

So don't worry. You can always take your baby out of the room on a little walk to calm them down in the night if need be.

And I DEFINITELY agree that Motrin/Advil is wonderful for teething babies. The anti-inflammatories in there cures that teething misery quick.

thumperbug
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree with the previous poster that the excitement and stimulation will probably knock the baby out at night. Plus theres the Disney magic. Disney is where my son finally slept in his own bed all night without coming into our bed. After a week at Disney and sleeping by himself (mostly due to exhaustion) we came home and he has slept in his bed ever since.

sndral
01-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Be sure that you feed the baby during takeoff and landing while flying. The baby's ears need to pop to let the pressure out and the sucking while feeding makes this happen.

dumbo_buddy
01-10-2010, 06:54 AM
do i need to bring the original birth certificate? or will a copy suffice?

green ranger
01-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Did the airline tell you that you need ID for the baby? I know Continental (2 years ago) told me I didn't need anything for an infant, and when we got to the airport, we didn't need anything for her.

Tick-Tock
01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Did the airline tell you that you need ID for the baby? I know Continental (2 years ago) told me I didn't need anything for an infant, and when we got to the airport, we didn't need anything for her.

You don't need ID for a baby for TSA, but you might for the airline if you haven't bought a seat for the baby (sometimes they check to make sure the baby still qualifies to not have his/her own seat).