PDA

View Full Version : DDP vs. Gift card

Maleficent_vf
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Is anyone planning to forego the DDP and use the Disney gift card that they are currently offering to pay for meals? We always stay at a deluxe resort and spending $750 on souvenirs and such seems unlikely (especially since we haven't cared much for what we've seen in the WDW shops during recent visits).

DizneyRox
01-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I think that's why they are givig away the Gift Card. Merchandise sales are in the toilet (I would argue it's more about the junk they are selling than the economy, but the economy is a close second).

I'd forgo both and take a discounted room. That way you have control over your purchasing power.

luvdiznee
01-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I would definitely use the GC toward food vs souvies. At least with the food, you can include your apps and tips. :mickey:

NewDVCowner
01-02-2010, 02:09 PM
My family has talked about putting money on a visa gift card instead of putting money in for the dining plan. That way if we don't use it on food or gifts we can still use it when we get home and are not locked only to using it at Disney.

DizneyRox
01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
My family has talked about putting money on a visa gift card instead of putting money in for the dining plan. That way if we don't use it on food or gifts we can still use it when we get home and are not locked only to using it at Disney.

Be warned. You may have some problems with Visa Gift Cards and table service locations. We had problems in two locations before we asked, we assumed the first was a fluke.

The problem was when paying with a Visa Gift Card (any credit card actually) they put through a larger charge than what the bill is for. If you recall, they will swipe your card first, then give you the receipt where you fill in the tip. Well if they don't swipe it as more it nay actually get rejected when they actually submit it.

I believe this is an automatic thing meaning the server can't override the amount that actually gets run through in the first swipe.

We had $1000 in gift cards from a DVC purchase that we were trying to use for food. Unfortunately we couldn't use them directly in TS locations. We just charged to the room and then paid it off that way.

Just so you know.

NewDVCowner
01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

PetefromRI
01-03-2010, 04:31 PM
We decided to stay at the POFQ for 5 nights with 8 day hoppers and the QSDP and get the 500.00 gift card on one ressie.Then we made a ressie for 3 nights at the Poly with the room only deal and we'll use the gift card for meals when we stay there.Can't wait until May!