PDA

View Full Version : Some job pixie dust please, for my DH....

Dsnygirl
01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi all....

I haven't posted on the Water Cooler in ages, even though I lurk a lot. But some of you may remember me asking for pixie dust for my DH & his job ages ago.... he worked as an estimator ("purchasing & planning guy", amongst other things) for a local homebuilder up here in Central NY that was struggling to stay afloat.

Well, they managed to last for a lot longer than expected.... but he got laid off on Tuesday, and the rest of the company (about 6 people now) had to take half-salary, effective immediately. :(

Luckily, he's getting 6 weeks of severance, so that will help while he begins to get his resume together and looks for a new job... but he's also going in for about 2 weeks to help them transition his work to someone else (pretty much their secretary.... VERY scary....) so I'm hoping he's able to find time to begin the "moving on" process at the same time.

So, any pixie dust you guys could spare would be appreciated.... we love where we live, but we're open to moving wherever the jobs are -- seems that building is beginning to pick up again in the south a bit, so who knows... maybe we'll end up closer to Disney before this is all over!! ;)

(and if any of you know of a builder looking for a good, overall purchasing/planning/estimating kind of guy, send me a PM!! :thumbsup:)

Thanks guys -- I know how magical the pixie dust is around here!! :D

Zippy 1
01-01-2010, 05:39 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: Hang in there! Hopefully something will come your way. I understand how hard it is in the construction business right now. My DH is a roofing contractor. We are hanging on by the skin of our teeth. He is even doing work in other states to try and keep going. I also have heard that construction in the south is picking up a little faster than else where. I wish you and your DH the best and hope something comes your way quickly!!

cal5755
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Sending you and your DH pixie dust!! My brother in law has his own company and for the first time is looking for a job because he has nothing lined up at all. He is thinking of moving south... South Carolina. Seems to be more going on there in that field according to him. I just recently convinced my husband to go back into the health field after being unemployed for a few months.. there just seems to be nothing out there. Thankfully the health field is always in need and he has a good job again. I wish your dh all the luck with his job search.

Dsnygirl
01-01-2010, 06:17 PM
He is thinking of moving south... South Carolina. Seems to be more going on there in that field according to him. I just recently convinced my husband to go back into the health field after being unemployed for a few months.. there just seems to be nothing out there. Thankfully the health field is always in need and he has a good job again. I wish your dh all the luck with his job search.
We're thinking of the south, too, if nothing comes up around here... I definitely see more postings than I used to down there, which is good. Of course, I'm sure there are LOTS of folks responding to them as well!!

I'm in the health care field, too (I'm a nurse) and good for your DH that he was able to get back into it... you're right, it seems like one of the few fields right now where it is safe. I never thought MY job would carry us through two layoffs!!

Thanks to both of you for the pixie dust -- it is much appreciated!!

faline
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Blythe, certainly not a good way to begin the new year. From past experience, however, I know that job losses are often the beginning of something new and better - even though it certainly doesn't seem so at the time.

You will be in my thoughts. I suspect that good things will be in yur future!

RedSoxFan
01-01-2010, 09:45 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Iluvpooh
01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Prayers and pixie dust for your family.

Dsnygirl
01-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Well, something odd has happened... my DH called a friend of his yesterday to tell him about the layoff, and his friend casually mentioned that his wife's boss was leaving her company... and that his wife was meeting w/ her boss at that exact time to discuss what she'd need to take over if no one was found for the job soon enough, would he (my DH) like him (our friend) to call his wife and have her ask her boss if she'd like to meet with my DH???

So, my DH has an interview at 1pm on Monday... so do 4 other people, and it's a job that although my DH is well qualified for it, having done most of the components of the job, it's not a job he's ever held by title. So, I'm not sure how it will go (not that I'd be sure, regardless... ;)) but if you guys could continue the pixie dust, that'd be GREAT... we're praying and crossing our fingers that maybe he could be the right guy, even though it seems like a long shot!

:thanks:

RedSoxFan
01-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Good luck to your DH. I hope all goes well.

Nascfan
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Sending much pixie dust and good wishes for the interview!

DVC2004
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Good luck!

ElenitaB
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
More :pixie: for the Captain! :pirate:

r4kids
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
:magic::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

laprana
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Sending lots of :pixie::pixie: for your DH's upcoming interview and the overall job hunt! I hope everything goes well and turns out for the best. Please let us know how the interview goes!

faline
01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your husband!

Mousefever
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I hope Dan's interview went well today!

Amy

Disneymom4ever
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Good luck to your husband, I always say everything happens for a reason. Keep us updated, I'm sure it went well! :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you so much for all the pixie dust and prayers and good thoughts... it is SO much appreciated!!

My DH hasn't heard anything yet and only thinks the interview went "okay"... like I had mentioned before, the position isn't really one he's held before -- he's just done all the requirements for the position in other jobs. So, although the president of the company seemed to like him, as well as the woman he'd be replacing, he wasn't sure the other managers he'd be working with completely understood why he'd be going for the position. As well, he wasn't too sure about the "vibe" at the company -- so he's trying to just let it go however it's meant to. The woman who's leaving is leaving tomorrow, so you'd think timing would be of the essence -- so having not heard anything, he's guessing he's probably not the chosen candidate.

So..... it's honestly okay with me, as I think he needs to get his resume out there to as many positions as possible that he IS perfect for and just start networking and talking to people.... he was really unhappy in his last position by the end, so I'm really hoping he'll find just the right thing this time, and I don't believe that will come by taking the first thing that comes along.

(Not that I don't realize in today's economy that a job is a job, and having one means a Disney trip faster than not.... ;) ... but it's only been a week since he found out, so I'm trying to be optimistic that he at least has a little bit of time to scout around!! :))

So, keep the pixie dust cranking away -- we really do appreciate it!!

:thanks:

laprana
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Sending lots more :pixie::pixie: and keeping my fingers crossed that your DH finds a job that he will be happy in - either this one or something even better! It's really tough to have a job that makes you miserable (unfortunately I know from experience!), so I hope that whatever job he gets next is a good fit for him and your whole family. Please keep us updated and we'll all keep the pixie dust coming! :)

KODABEAR
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Good Luck!:pixie::pixie:

MickeyMousse
01-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Much luck!!!!! :pixie::pixie:

Dsnygirl
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the continued pixie dust -- he finishes up this week and has been working on customizing his resume for the two fields he can job hunt in... it's nice to know you guys are in our corner! :)

Rekenna
01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Do not despair. I finally, after many years got a job at a very large, very global, consumer products company HQ where we live-I applied for over 100 jobs there and it took me 8 years. But, I got it! After all the pain-geting a Bachelor's and a MBA, resume after resume. I finally got an interview-the day I interviewed I went back to my job and my boss told me he was laying me off in 2 weeks!

By the grace of God I got the job and only had to go 2 weeks without pay (unemployment). I am only 33 and have been laid off twice. I know how awful it is to try and try and nothing seems to go your way. Please have faith, it will happen, it happened for me-and I was pretty downtrodden for a long time.

Good luck, God bless! :)

DisneyorBust
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Good Luck !! And God Bless his search.

Dizneyana
01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
More Pixie Dust headed your way...

You know the old saying... When a door closes, a window opens, so let's hope his window is opening! :clappy:

Continue to keep us posted...

Dsnygirl
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
You guys are the best... thanks for all the continued words of encouragement!!

We found out last week that a friend of ours got a job after being out of work for about 8 months... we were sooooo glad for him, and even though we hope to not be looking for that long, it gave us hope, and the belief that good luck rubs off! :)

My DH finishes up this week at his current job... he gave them an extra couple of days b/c they're having a hard time transitioning his work. Shows us how bad off they are, to not just try to keep him on at a lesser salary so the work can get done... but then again, I think my DH is happier to be done there than still employed there at a lower salary. Sad, but true. ;)

So -- here's to hoping the days home allow him to get that resume done and out there -- he has to re-create it for two industries now, as he's not just manufacturing anymore, but construction now, too. Fun.... :crazy:

We're still hoping to stay around here, just to maintain some continuity for our girls... and we love the seasons... but as I've been his "recruiter" these days, I've been pulling jobs off the 'net from all over, and seem to be drawn to the ones in Orlando... can't figure out why.... :D

TiggerCat
01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Continued pixie dust to you Dsnygirl. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. :mickey:

TC.

Kairi_7378
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Blythe, adding my pixie dust to that of the other posters. I was laid off from my job last year and I can relate to how difficult the situation is for you and your family.

Dsnygirl
02-23-2010, 04:41 AM
:party2: My DH got a job!! :party2:

Thanks for all the pixie dust and well wishes you guys have given... my DH got a call on Saturday from a friend, he'll be starting at his company next Tuesday in a position that was basically created for him. :thumbsup: (It's not his friend's company, just the company his friend works for.)

It's a really good company, and it'll combine a lot of his skills in what sounds like a really good position... it's an engineering company, which is what his degree was in, and he'll be a project manager there. So, not back into manufacturing or homebuilding, but using all the different skills he's learned/gained at the different companies he's worked for in the past, at a company that's a little more stable than those industries right now! Phew!! :)

We are both so relieved and happy... he was only home for about 3 weeks, and last time, it was off & on for over 2 years. So -- here's to hoping this is a good fit and works out well for him -- I'm so excited for him!! :D

DVC2004
02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Congrats- what wonderful news!

DizNee143
02-23-2010, 08:29 AM
congrats!!! thats awesome news!!:mickey:

RedSoxFan
02-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Congrats to your DH. Great news.:)

laprana
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
That's wonderful news! :congrats: to your DH and to you!!

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Congratulations to your DH!!!

NewDVCowner
02-23-2010, 12:25 PM
That's wonderful news! Congratulations!

Nascfan
02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Great news Blythe! :thumbsup:

faline
02-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Great news! :thumbsup: