PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Healthy Living Club

magicofdisney
01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Well I started the year off right. I just got back from working out, but this will be the first and last workout for the next few weeks. I'll be having surgery on Monday. I'll be cheering on other Healthy Livers from the sideline. Good luck all! :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
01-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Good luck with your surgery. Hope all goes well.

I am going to join in on the healthy living club. Hopefully I can loose some more weight this year. I lost about 15 lbs last year. I went on insulin in Sept and that helps me to watch what I am eating so my sugars don't go up too high.

The carbs are the worse... and I love them. Sweets are not too bad unless there are any donuts laying around.

Good luck to all those trying to loose and be healthy.

Jenemmy
01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Joining in the thread this year! This will be the year for healthy changes :mickey:

I do have a gym membership and my goal is to work out 4 or 5 times per week. I take 2 weekly classes, Latin impact and boxing circuit, and then using cross trainers and treadmills on the other 2 - 3 days.

I am also pledging to myself to track my food and calories.

Good luck and Happy New Year, all!!!

Georgesgirl1
01-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I am going to join this thread this year too! I have got to lose the rest of the baby weight and just start eating healthier and exercise more.

I am a member of a gym and have been for awhile although I put my membership on hold for a few months because things got too crazy at work. I am hoping to go three times a week. My son will be starting swim lessons at the gym soon, so that should help me get there at least once a week!

I also started Weight Watchers back yesterday.

Here's to a new year of Healthy Living!

rubato
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I would like to join as well. I have the stubborn, ever returning 10 lbs. to lose. I reach my goal weight often, but as soon as I'm not as strick with my diet, back it comes. (I think it likes me!)

I'm great about exercising. I'm training for a half marathon, walk to take care of errands when I can, walk my dog, and lift weights about once a week.

My eating stinks! I need to get it under control. I was going to start yesterday, but football games warrant pigging out apparently! So, today's the day! :mickey:

PirateLover
01-02-2010, 06:19 PM
As I stated a few days ago in the 2009 thread, I am back on the workout bandwagon for 2010. I have my wedding in 4 1/2 months and could stand to lose 30lbs overall although I'd be happy to shed 15 of it and shape up my arms for the wedding. I have gained 10 since October after previously losing 5. I started doing some light exercises (Wii Fit). I did not want to dive right back in to strenuous stuff because I started having sciatic pain recently. In September I did some Jillian Michaels workouts On Demand which helped me lose those 5 lbs. I will probably try that workout again and start using the gym at our complex when I start feeling more limber in a week or so. I also need to clear out the junk and go shopping for some healthier foods. It's going to take a lot of dedication and discipline but I know I have to do this.

Jenemmy
01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Hit the gym tonight and did the elliptical for about an hour. Best part was, my hubby bought me some of the Lou Mongello pod casts for my birthday a few weeks back and I had not had the chance to listen to any of them yet. I popped on the ear phones and took a tour of Main Street USA while I worked my tush off. Man, it made the time fly by and I was so wrapped up in Main Street I didn't even seem like exercise! I highly recommend them :mickey:

sgdisney
01-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Count me in for the new year too! I had lost 54 lbs since last March, but put 5 on over the holidays. It was back to Weight Watchers for me last Wednesday and I have lost 2 of the 5 so far. This is THE year for me, the year that I reach and maintain my goal weight. I've got about 35 lbs to go. I'm looking for a good overall low impact fitness video; if any one has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

garymacd
01-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, ask and ye shall receive! Here is the new thread.

My goal this year is maintenance and maybe a few more pounds off and a little more definition.

No really big changes for me. I am very satisfied with my results from last year.

I will be checking in to see how everyone is doing and offer some encouragement.

Good luck to all!

magicofdisney
01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
I've always wanted to be a runner but it's usually uncomfortable for me. A couple of days ago a friend of mine told me about an App you can download that will help to gradually build up to a 5k. It's called Couch to 5K. Once my doctor clears me from surgery I'm going to give it a shot. I'm so excited about starting jogging. I love the elliptical but I need some more variations in my routine. :)

citizensnoopy
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Count me in for this year, as well. I've lost 16 pounds since November and I want to lose at least 20 more.

The Wii has been a godsend --- particularly Gold's Cardio Gym and EA Sports Active, which I've been doing since November. I received EA Sports Active: More Workouts for Christmas and it is kicking my butt. I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out and I've been burning about 400-450 calories in 30 minutes on the Wii. Not too shabby!

garymacd
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Well done, Brittany! I am assuming that Wii Fit is strictly cardio-based activity. Try to work some resistance or weight training into your routines using some resistance bands or light weights.

You've come a long way. Keep going!

citizensnoopy
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Well done, Brittany! I am assuming that Wii Fit is strictly cardio-based activity. Try to work some resistance or weight training into your routines using some resistance bands or light weights.

You've come a long way. Keep going!

Thanks for the encouragement! :) The EA games require a resistance band, so that has helped to incorporate some strength training exercises. It's probably not as good as going to the gym, but my hours at work are horrific (residency is brutal), so the Wii at least provides me with some form of exercise.

Oh, one more thing --- I started wearing a pedometer to the hospital since my feet are so sore at the end of the day. It turns out that I walk about 9 miles everyday. :jaw:

Georgesgirl1
01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh, one more thing --- I started wearing a pedometer to the hospital since my feet are so sore at the end of the day. It turns out that I walk about 9 miles everyday. :jaw:

Wow! That is a lot of walking. No wonder your feet are sore at the end of the day!

Disney4us2
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
WOOO HOOOO I lost 2 of the 4 holiday pounds. I still have a looooooooooooong way to go, but it is a start in the right direction:thumbsup:

cer
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM

So, basically, you are always ready for a trip to Disney..... :mickey:

Georgesgirl1
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
We started The Biggest Loser at work today. Everyone who wanted to play put $12 into the pot and we have to weigh in every Friday. The person with the highest % loss wins all the money. Here's the real motivation: you have to pay $1 for every pound you gain! Maybe this will help keep me motivated!! We are playing until the week before Spring Break (I am a teacher).

yourmagicalguide
01-14-2010, 10:58 AM
We started The Biggest Loser at work today. Everyone who wanted to play put $12 into the pot and we have to weigh in every Friday. The person with the highest % loss wins all the money. Here's the real motivation: you have to pay $1 for every pound you gain! Maybe this will help keep me motivated!! We are playing until the week before Spring Break (I am a teacher).

What a great idea! I would love to do that at my workplace, but of the 6-person staff, I'm the only person who wants to lose weight! Talk about frustrating :mad:

Has anyone tried belly dancing? I'm too self-conscious to join a class right now, but I recently discovered "Shimmy" on FitTV and surprisingly loved it! Now I just need to pair it with some cardio so I can see some results ;)

Any recommendations for a good treadmill that folds up so you can slide it under a bed? I don't need one with all the bells and whistles, but one that logs distance, calories burned, and such would be great...

PirateLover
01-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok so I've stopped weighing myself and I'm just going by how my clothes feel. I have done something- whether it was a hardcore workout or just walking/stepping- every day since Dec 30th. On Sunday I started p90x with my girlfriends. We should you tube it, it's hilarious. We get through it though. I have to modify some moves but I am still getting a killer workout. I'm getting my fiance in on it too.... I'm hoping we can stick to it and see results.
Pants that didn't fit me on Jan 3rd now fit me again nicely, so that's a good start!!

*Wanted to add that I am trying hard to eat healthy. All meats are lean, nothing breaded, lots of fruits and salads, protein bars etc.... and I'm feeling healthier all over.

Georgesgirl1
01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=yourmagicalguide;2004067]

Has anyone tried belly dancing? I'm too self-conscious to join a class right now, but I recently discovered "Shimmy" on FitTV and surprisingly loved it! Now I just need to pair it with some cardio so I can see some results ;)

QUOTE]

I have never done belly dancing, but a group of belly dancers came to our school to do a demonstartion a year or so ago. None of them were extremely small, but to me it seemed like the belly dancing made them look confident in their bodies which made them seem smaller to me than they were (if that makes any sense). It looked like lots of fun, but I was pregnant at the time and really haven't thought about it much since.

I have lost 14.2 pounds so far. I still need to lose about 25 pounds. I am starting a boot camp two nights a week for the next 8 weeks, so hopefully that will help me keep the weight loss up.

garymacd
02-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Ok so I've stopped weighing myself and I'm just going by how my clothes feel. I have done something- whether it was a hardcore workout or just walking/stepping- every day since Dec 30th. On Sunday I started p90x with my girlfriends. We should you tube it, it's hilarious. We get through it though. I have to modify some moves but I am still getting a killer workout. I'm getting my fiance in on it too.... I'm hoping we can stick to it and see results.
Pants that didn't fit me on Jan 3rd now fit me again nicely, so that's a good start!!

*Wanted to add that I am trying hard to eat healthy. All meats are lean, nothing breaded, lots of fruits and salads, protein bars etc.... and I'm feeling healthier all over.

Have you done the P90X YogaX routine? I still struggle with some of the moves in that. I am just not that flexible; but I am better than I was this time last year. How are you supposed to reach under your leg and grab your hand from behind your back? I ended up putting a rope or strap around my wrist and pull tighter throughout.

Keep going! With the right attitude and nutrition, you, your friends and fiance will see amazing results.

PirateLover
02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Have you done the P90X YogaX routine? I still struggle with some of the moves in that. I am just not that flexible; but I am better than I was this time last year. How are you supposed to reach under your leg and grab your hand from behind your back? I ended up putting a rope or strap around my wrist and pull tighter throughout.

We are now into week two.... finished Plyometrics a few hours ago :whew: . I have done Yoga once so far. It was very tough but I hung in there. I could not do the hand grab, or the moves at the end ( I think they called them Half Moon and Warrior 3). It's on tap again in 2 days... hoping I can go a bit further each time. I used to be very flexible. My fiancee had a tough time because he is very tight. He had back surgery 2 years ago and still has residual numbness in his left leg, so he struggles with that side, but as Tony would say he just does his best and forgets the rest! I am so proud of his effort.

I still have not gotten on the scale but I'm already seeing definition and as I said my clothes are totally fitting much better. I also just feel better overall.

tinktude
02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I starting posting in the 2009 thread about my weight loss journey. The journey continues into 2010. I have lost 100lbs so far, and have about 25lbs to go before I get to my goal. I have been working out 6 days a week, three of those are with a trainer.

magicofdisney
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I've been back to exercising for a couple of weeks now. I've had to start back slowly because my surgeon hasn't released me for full speed just yet. :) I hope to take up running in the next couple of weeks, something I've never done.

I starting posting in the 2009 thread about my weight loss journey. The journey continues into 2010. I have lost 100lbs so far, and have about 25lbs to go before I get to my goal. I have been working out 6 days a week, three of those are with a trainer.
Congratulations! That's an incredible journey and very exciting news. I know how difficult it is to travel that road. I hope your 2010 is a complete success. :thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
02-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Congrats to everyone who has lost weight or is making an effort to exercise more and eat healthier! I jumped back into Weight Watchers and am doing the Wave by the Firm. Holy cow that is great exercise. I've lost 11 pounds in a month. I want to lose at least 6 more but I may try for 11 more. I've battled with my weight off and on for years. I did WW a couple of years and got to my goal weight and then stopped WW and slowly put on 12 pounds. Since I got rid of all of my "fat" clothes I knew I had to get those pounds back off or my clothes would no longer fit! HA
I just got back from Disney and am happy to say that I didn't gain any weight during my trip...I was worried that I would.
Keep up the good work everyone and remember if you cheat/fall off the wagon, just get right back on. You can do it!

garymacd
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Keep up the good work, everyone. Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I have been working over 100 hours a week for the past little while and just haven't been able to get here and check on progress. Tomorrow continues the long hours trend, so I thought I better check in now (instead of finalising my lesson plans :blush: ) because when I leave to start teaching Wednesday morning, I wont be home until Saturday morning. I need a Disney break!

But, I will continue to find time to hit the gym when I get to work each night. Eating right over the next few days is going to be a challenge. With a little judicious planning I should be able to do it.

magicofdisney
03-02-2010, 11:54 AM
My doctor released me to exercise at 4wks postop which was 4wks ago. I'm almost up to my pre-surgery routine with cardio but still no weights just yet. It really does feel good to get back with it. I have to admit that a few weeks following surgery I wasn't making the most nutritional food choices, but I'm back in the groove now. Like IloveDisney71 said, if you mess up one day/days ;) just recommit ASAP. This is a life long journey and there are bound to be moments of weakness. I'm learning to not give up because of them. :)

jennbunn
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
count me in : ) i just had surgery last week and i could not believe what the scale said to me. my goal is to lose 50 lb's for our family trip to disneyland next year. as soon as the dr gives the ok i am going to get incorporate cardio along with my walkiing. i eat healthy more the most part. i had to give up lots of the junk back in jan when i was getting ready for surgary. here's to a new fit me for 2010

garymacd
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
You go, Jenn! With the right attitude, we can accomplish anything.

Georgesgirl1
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
We had our final weigh in for the Biggest Loser at work. I came in second place with a weight loss of 29.8 lbs. My co-teacher won with a weight loss of 35 lbs. I still have a bit of weight to lose, but I am within a few pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight which was my first goal.
This week I am going to start the couch potato to 5k training program at the gym.

magicofdisney
04-04-2010, 11:59 PM
We had our final weigh in for the Biggest Loser at work. I came in second place with a weight loss of 29.8 lbs. My co-teacher won with a weight loss of 35 lbs. I still have a bit of weight to lose, but I am within a few pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight which was my first goal.
This week I am going to start the couch potato to 5k training program at the gym.
Congratulations! That's no small task.

I'm going to start a running program in a few weeks. I can't wait-I'm excited about it. Please let me know about your progress. I downloaded an app for my iPod that called C25K. I believe it's the same premise as what you're doing. Good luck with it. :)

Dragongirlx
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Count me in I need to lose 30 pounds to get to a healthy weight. I am on weight watchers and am starting off on wii fit till I can bulid up to more stenuous exercise. I will also be doing the race for life in Edinburgh in June.
I will be walking the 5k rather than running though as I have arthritis in both knees and running could cause me difficulties

IloveDisney71
04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
It's good to see so many people so motivated and optimistic about getting moving and eating healthier. I'm back to my original weight watcher's goal weight but I had to take a break from the cardio exercising I was doing. I was having some minor health issues but with some trips to the doctor and some medication adjustments I'm hoping to be able to get back into my exercise routine again. I've got another appt. but I think everything is back to normal now! :D I was really enjoying it...I can't believe I'm saying that about exercise because I hate exercise!

Keep up the good work everybody! :walk::strong:

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
OK, I'm joining the gang....

I have PCOS and because of it, it takes me double the time and effort to loose each lb as someone without PCOS. So, here I am....

At the beginning of the year, I got a pinched nerve in my shoulder/neck. It got progressively worse and I ended up in the ER. All anyone could tell me to do is take muscle relaxers/pain killers and get a massage. Well, taking matters into my own hands, I started yoga/pilates the 2nd week of January. I was really on a huge roll. I lost about 15 lbs in the first 5-6 weeks. I was getting up early (even on the weekends) and doing my Power Crunch workouts religiously. and boy did my body change with yoga and pilates - not just sweating water weight! Then I got sick and gained 5 lbs back. That was last month. I haven't gotten back into the swing of things yet. But, I need to!

My goal is to loose 25 more lbs. If I just aim for about 3 lbs a month, I can reach that by the end of the year! But, I need help!

I am committed to yoga/pilates/biking/walking 5 times a week starting tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I'm on here everyday and hope to post daily with my successes AND failures. I'm more prone to staying committed if I've got to report on it! Good Luck everyone and keep up the good work.

garymacd
04-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Go Jennifer!

Go gently, though. The last thing anyone wants is to get hurt when trying too hard. You see to have the right attitude and the right idea in your goals.

You had incredible results earlier this year and I think you can keep going and reach your goals.

Remember: weight is just a number. The real judge of good health and fitness (in my mind) is how you feel inside your own skin. Can you move and do all the things you want and do you feel better?

Are you following a sensible nutrition plan as well as an exercise plan? That makes all the difference. I consider diets a cheat and short term. Eat a healthy and sensible plan.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Thank you for the words of advice!

While I didn't start on Saturday morning, I did start this morning!

I usually do one thing (yoga or pilates or the eliptical) in the am before anyone else wakes up. I did my yoga crunch this morning for about 30 minutes. It felt so good!

If I don't do anything in the morning, I will usually do something with the kids and DH after dinner like biking or walking.

I just aim to be active once a day.

My family's diet is about 60% organic. And I consume about 80-85% low GI foods. So, am I following a structured diet? No. I do however have nutritional guidelines. (but, the handful of hershey kisses I just had today is not part of those guidelines!!! :secret: )

just one day and I feel better already.

garymacd
04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
(but, the handful of hershey kisses I just had today is not part of those guidelines!!! :secret: )

Well...everyone should have at least one kiss a day...:blush:

Dsnygirl
05-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Jumping on here b/c I need encouragement...

Last year, I lost about 20 lbs, prior to a Disney trip in October. I ate well, excercised moderately, and it was fine.

During our trip (11days) I only gained about 6lbs, which was thrilling to me, as I expected to gain more... I gained 6 lbs one time during a 5 day trip!! :blush:

I pretty much stayed at that weight throughout the holidays, but wasn't excercising d/t a pulled muscle in my hip/gluts area and a knee that was bothering me.

Once Jan/Feb hit, though, I began to gain weight again... but ignored it, as I was pulling a lot of overtime at work (I'm a night shift nurse) and finding the time and energy to excercise just wasn't there.

Fast forward to now... I got back into excercising 3 weeks ago, while I was off work during my girls' Spring Break. Went to the gym 4x/ week, began to run again, lost 5 lbs and was feeling GREAT! Then I headed back to work, and even though I was still going to the gym, I began to gain weight again.

So now I am beyond frustrated... I am eating healthy meals, excercising... and gaining weight! My clothes are tighter, my body looks flabbier (like I'm putting on fat quickly) and my motivation is dying.

My husband says it's probably muscle weight that I've put on, but I researched it, and you can really only gain 1-2lb/muscle in a month... and I'm talking re-gaining the 4 lbs I lost in about a week, right after I went back to working my night shift.

All told, after a stellar start, I feel so frustrated... how can I go from losing weight relatively easily 6 months ago to basically gaining weight, no matter what I do, now??

I've had my throid, etc., checked by my dr and the only result that could be an issue was my Vit D level... it was really low. But, I've rectified that and am taking supplements -- they seemed to help for about a week or two, but now, not so much.

My dr says my weight for my height and age is "fine" (5'7", 42 yrs old, 165 lbs) but I'm not fit and I know it... I can feel how exhausted I am, my legs and arms look and feel flabby, it's like everything "re-positioned" itself in the worst possible way on my body and now nothing fits or feels right.

Her answer?? "Welcome to your 40's" :(

So.... I'm basically back on here looking for some input/encouragement from people who have been there...

I'm generally pretty savvy about nutrition, dieting and excercise, and what I know has worked every other time I tried -- but I feel like I've run out of what I know are good options and need something different, as well as some encouragement.

So -- bring it -- maybe this will be what I need to change things up in a positive way! :)

Dragongirlx
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Just wanted to give everyone some encouragement to keep going.
Although I know I should lose weight in previous weeks I have not really been sticking to my weight watchers points and been doing very little exercise. Last week I stuck religiously to my points and exercised every single day and I lost 4 pounds.
All though it was hard I was determined not to slip and it really worked and even though I still have 30 pounds to go to my goal weight the fact that I know it can be done and I already see a difference has really motivated me to carry on.
So for everyone out there just keep trying you and you can do it.

Dsnygirl
05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Ruth, way to go -- it's so hard, isn't it??

I've found a website recently that is helping me a lot.... I don't think I can post a link, but it's called Spark People, and it's wonderful. I haven't joined in on any of the chat groups, am just using all their resources/ideas/recipes and food tracking/calorie tracking program, and I'm really encouraged. I haven't lost any weight yet, as I've just begun, but I think they have the kind of information I've needed to not just lose weight, but to change my whole perspective on foods, eating and my lifestyle.

Good luck to everyone who's working at it -- we can do this!

garymacd
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Blythe: keep going! I know it's frustrating right now, but even if you don't see the changes, the exercise regime is making improvements to your cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Even if you don't see the changes, it is also having an effect on your musculo-skeletal system. Any time you perform weight-bearing exercises, you are strengthening your bones, muscles and connective tissues. This is an important step in reducing the effects of osteoporosis.

Everyone is different and you may just be in a lull right now.

Jessie
05-31-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd like to join up. I'd love for next year in May to be at least 30lbs lighter (if not more, but I'm trying to be reasonable). I'm 12 weeks postpartum right now so I've got some good momentum actually. My goals for this month:

Drink a green smoothie a day. I love these and they give me such great energy.

Walk every day. I'm not going to specify an amount for myself. I think just getting out and moving will be great.

Baby steps ;). Next month I'll kick it up with my goals. Who knows I may do more this month, but since I'm setting my goals small anything I do is gravy (oh bad word choice haha)

magicofdisney
05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
I started jogging today! I'm excited because I've been wanting to begin this for such a long time. I finally found some sports wear that accommodate my needs. I am also finally at a stage, post surgery, where jogging doesn't interfere with healing.

I have this program on my iPod that's supposed to bring me up to a 5K within a few weeks. I'll report on the progress. Jogging has never been my strong suit but I've got a made up mind to persevere. :)

Jessie
05-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd be interested in hearing about your progress. I found a great program for starting yourself training for a 5k. I want to start following it at some point.

Dsnygirl
06-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Gary, thanks -- sometimes it's hard to remember how good everything is for your body BEYOND the actual weight loss numbers. :thumbsup:

Jessie -- way to go! Being postpartum IS a tremendous time to jump-start your weight loss... and getting out and walking with the baby is wonderful for both of you. I wish I'd done more of it when my girls were little!

(btw -- what is a green smoothie?? Sounds interesting...)

Genna, good for you -- I'm hoping to get myself running again, as well. I have some knee issues, but the t'mill seems to be gentler to my joints than pavement, so I'm starting there. Once I know I can go at least two miles w/o pain, I'm going to try for a 5K fitness program, too. I'd love to run w/ my DD this fall...

Jessie
06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Mmmm green smoothies. I love them. Basically its any smoothie combo you like...plus greens. I prefer to use baby spinach because you can NOT taste it. My favorite smoothie combo:

Coconut water (I like zico passionfruit)
Banana
Pineapple
Mango
Baby spinach

Yesterday's smoothie was:
Baby spinach
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Ice

Sometimes I'll add chlorella to it (powdered greens), but that does give it a more "greeny" taste.

Dsnygirl
06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
:thanks: Jessie - those smoothies sound awesome! And I love baby spinach (although I guess I wouldn't want to taste it in my smoothies, so good to know you can't! ;))

My girls (8 and 11) tried baby spinach last evening for the first time... we took a picnic to the lake, and instead of making a salad with it, I was wrapping 2 or 3 pieces around each piece of marinated/grilled chicken we'd brought (bite-sized pcs) and my girls thought it looked "cool" that way, so they tried it. (They've watched me eat baby spinach salads for years, but no-go on the trying... ) And lo & behold - they loved it!! ;) Who knew mom would eat something so tasty?? :rolleyes: So, guess I'll be buying more now... :thumbsup:

Jessie
06-01-2010, 10:14 AM
That's great!

Have you ever heard of bento style eating? Its root is Japanese and the character style is often what is used, but I know moms who use a toned down version for their kids. Things like making star shaped sandwiches, smiley faces, bears, whatever you can think of, with the food. Obviously whatever would appeal age wise. (maybe some mickey ear's ;)) I've seen a cute one that was a panda bear made out of hard boiled eggs, olives and toothpicks.

garymacd
06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd like to join up. I'd love for next year in May to be at least 30lbs lighter (if not more, but I'm trying to be reasonable). I'm 12 weeks postpartum right now so I've got some good momentum actually. My goals for this month:

Drink a green smoothie a day. I love these and they give me such great energy.

Walk every day. I'm not going to specify an amount for myself. I think just getting out and moving will be great.

Baby steps ;). Next month I'll kick it up with my goals. Who knows I may do more this month, but since I'm setting my goals small anything I do is gravy (oh bad word choice haha)

Jessie. Now is the time to make good changes. You can be healthy for yourself and your new little one.

I don't know what your fitness level was before your pregnancy, but just by getting out and walking with your new little one is a great start.

I would like to suggest an exercise regime for you. The program can be purchased on line, the cost is very low and the time commitment is minimal. It is Ten Minute Trainer. In ten minutes you can get a great stretch, or some good cardio or even strength training. All you need is ten minutes a day. At the top level, you can commit one half hour a day to your fitness on this program, or three different 10 minute sessions.

Tony Horton designed this program for busy people with just the room between your couch and TV, minimal equipment and a small amount of time.

magicofdisney
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I began my jogging/running program and was super excited about it until I developed shin splints. Ugh! So after some resting and better shoes, I'll be back at it. My lack of jogging experience could have added to the problem, but I already had more stamina after just two weeks. :)

garymacd
06-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I began my jogging/running program and was super excited about it until I developed shin splints. Ugh! So after some resting and better shoes, I'll be back at it. My lack of jogging experience could have added to the problem, but I already had more stamina after just two weeks. :)

Don't forget to warm up and stretch before you start the long run. Your best bet is to warm up a few minutes with some light running or jumping jacks, something like that, then start your stretching. Especially focus on knees, and ankles. Runners stretch is a great stretch since it moves all the joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles to their limits.

Here's how to do a good one: stand about arm's length away from a wall, reach for the wall and rest your elbows on the wall. Now, starting with your left leg (or right) step back, bend your right knee and place your left foot flat on the ground. Do this for about 30 - 60 seconds. You should feel a good stretch and maybe even the relax. Now repeat with the other leg. As you improve, move the back leg back more to increase the stretch.

As you get used to this stretch, you can make it more effective by doing the same thing on the floor:

Stand up with your feet together. Step one foot forward, bend the knee and reach with your fingers to the floor. Keep your back foot pointing straight forward. Rest your upper body on your upper leg, one arm on each side of the leg. You should be touching the ground with the toes of your back foot. Now, straighten the back knee and push to try and get the heel onto the ground. This also helps stretch your knees and hips

Unless you're more flexible than I am, your heel probably won't make it to the ground, but keep trying. As you improve, you can take both your hands and put them inside of your front leg and bend your elbows until they touch the ground.

To help stretch your knees more, do some deep knee squats, but only if you don't have knee issues and ONLY as far as comfortable. If this is an issue for you, try some lunges.

Stand up straight with your feet together, step forward and bend your front knee and keep your back foot on the ground pointing straight forward, then push back up to stand straight with your feet together. Do this about five times for each leg. The deeper you bend the greater the stretch, but don't go so deep you can't get back up or if it causes pain. If you struggle with balance or pain on this, rest your hand on the back of a chair or stool, railing, etc. This is stretching; not balance or strength exercise.

Another easy stretch is to stand straight up on a curb with just your toes on the curb. Now gently drop your heels to the ground or as low as you can. Now push up and stand as tall as you can. Do this about 5 times. This is a good stretch and also helps strengthen calf muscles. Again, if you struggle with balance, hold onto something or someone.

Remember: DON'T do these stretches cold. Warm up for a few minutes first.

magicofdisney
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the stretching tips. I'm going to copy and paste that so I can use them when I begin again.

It's been recommended by 2 different people that I buy Asics running shoes. We have a shoe store here in town that offers a 30 day money back guarantee on shoes they fit for you. The shoes are super expensive but worth it, from what I hear.

garymacd
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Well. Here we are nearing the end of the year and I was just wondering how everyone is doing with their fitness and weight loss goals.

I have to tell you a secret. Earlier this year I suffered what I considered a major setback. I injured my shoulder doing something. I don't know what I did, but knowing me, as I do, it was probably something pretty stupid! It hurt so badly I couldn't lift my right arm above my head or hold any kind of weight.

At the same time, my right knee started hurting like I have never felt before, AND my jaw locked up! Probably all related.

I pretty much gave up for a few months while doing physiotherapy. Then I started riding my bike back and forth to work when the weather turned better. Since then, I am once again back on P90X and making great strides. One of the guys on my crew brought in his copy of "Insanity". It is an insane workout. I don't know whether my 53 year old beaten up body can take the pounding or not. Maybe later after I finish this round of P90X.

We have weight scales here, but I never use them. I believe it to be an arbitrary number, and it always changes if you don't use the same scales at the same time wearing the same clothes. I always go by how I feel inside and outside my own skin. Once or twice a year I get on the scales and that's it. It works for me.

Just an off topic note I learned from my dear old mother. If you have any kind of cardio-vascular problems and you note a sudden increase in weight and some difficulty breathing, call your doctor. If it's really bad: call EMS/911. First Aid lesson done.

So, how do I feel? My shoulder is probably at about 80%, my knee improved when I finally broke down a bought new shoes and my jaw stopped hurting after months of physiotherapy, accupuncture and IMS stimulation. My muscles are regaining mass and tone.

So what did I learn from this? Well, first off; I guess I am not Superman. Second; when you are hurt, take it easy until you feel better. Don't do nothing, but take it easy. Third; especially for the guys: it's not all about being able to curl 60 or 70 pounds with each arm. It is about the reps, sets and squeezing of the muscles. With each rep, squeeze all the muscles in the area you are working. And keep your jaw slack.

Okay. Lecture done.

How are you doing?

magicofdisney
09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
That was both uplifting and sympathy provoking, all in one. ;) I don't mean that in a bad way. All those setbacks sound painful and discouraging but you kept on keeping on. Good for you. :thumbsup:

I've had a bit of a setback also. My husband got a new job in June and I've basically become a single mom 4 days of the week. Because of this perplexing schedule, I can't find any consistent time to get out of the house for exercise. So, after my Disney vacation last week (with free dining :blush:) I came home and immediately ordered p90x. I'm so excited! I can't wait for it to get here and get started. I know I can stick with it. I have that kind of resolve. And I have a friend that did the program and his results were a.maz.ing! I'll probably need to invest in a yoga mat, bands and some free weights, but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

Good luck to all! :)

garymacd
09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Good for you, Genna.

Like I said, don't go crazy with the weights. Most women can get by with 3, 5, 8, 10 and 12 or 15 pounds. Also most women doing P90X opt for higher rep counts and lower weights. This gives smooth muscles instead of huge bulky muscles. If you want bulk, stick with higher weights and do only 8 - 10 reps. Personally, I am currently using medium weights and high rep counts until my shoulder is better. As I get better, I will increase my weights slowly but will stick with the high rep counts. I like being able to scratch the back of my head!

I did all my pull-ups in the program initially with resistance bands. As a matter of fact, I did most of the lifting exercises with resistance bands while I bought some free weights one or two at a time. You will get very good results with the resistance bands.

Good luck with the program!

magicofdisney
10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I just completed day 3 of P90X. I'm really pumped, so to speak. ;) I'm also really sore, but not in a bad way. It's the kind of sore you get when you've had an awesome workout. I'm sitting here thinking about the muscle I didn't know I had because I must have never really worked them before.

P90X comes with 3 variations. I'm using the "Lean" sequence and my first day was a DVD called "Core Synergetics". That KICKED my BOOTY! Seriously, I was nauseated for an hour after I finished. Then I realized I had not yet eaten dinner. Tip #1--don't workout on an empty stomach. :blush: I'm sure everyone knows this but I was so excited to get my DVDs in the mail that I jumped in as soon as I had a break in my day.

I hope to change my mantra from "Uh, yeah, that ain't happening" to "Well, maybe..." My goal right now is just to complete each DVD and increase my reps over time with heavier weights.

garymacd, thanks for the tips on weights and reps. That really helped me set realistic goals and have a better understanding of the direction I need to take. I'm all about the leaner muscle.

garymacd
10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
You're welcome, Genna.

Core Synergistics is a blast. When I get about 3/4 of the way through it, I usually think I'm not going to make it.

Core muscles are some of the most important but generally overlooked muscles in the body. As part of your Lean program you will use CS more often than in the Classic or Doubles programs, and you will see incredible results.

That Plank to Chattaranga Run kills me everytime!

JanetMegan
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Just checking in here, a thread I should be a regular member of but I am not ;) I've actually just started Weight Watchers after trying to lose weight earlier this year on my own and getting distracted by normal life stuff. I'm also getting back into walking and some light weight training. The 10 minute workout thing sounds good, I'm going to have to look that up. I need to lose 50-60 lbs total which sounds like a LOT, but I'm actually pretty encouraged about it all and ready to get going on it!

magicofdisney
10-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Just checking in here, a thread I should be a regular member of but I am not ;) I've actually just started Weight Watchers after trying to lose weight earlier this year on my own and getting distracted by normal life stuff. I'm also getting back into walking and some light weight training. The 10 minute workout thing sounds good, I'm going to have to look that up. I need to lose 50-60 lbs total which sounds like a LOT, but I'm actually pretty encouraged about it all and ready to get going on it!
You're correct. With the right mindset that goal is completely achievable. Think of people wanting to loose 100lbs. They probably think, "I wish I had to only loose 50lbs." I think half the battle is getting mentally prepared. I'm excited for you as well. Good luck with you journey. :)

JanetMegan
11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Just checking in with everyone here...holidays coming up. My weight loss is going well, slow but steady and I'm excited that when everyone else after the holidays is just starting on Jan. 1 with new diets that I will have a 15 or pound head start on them!

garymacd
11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Well done, Janet!

This is always the hard time of the year for good nutrition plans.

My mother went to a cookie walk this afternoon and dropped off a whole tray of different cookies and sweets. Do you know how hard it is to NOT eat each and every one of them right now?

I'm dying!

magicofdisney
01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Well I ended the year strong. I'm in phase 3 of P90X and I'm so excited to see my progress. I may take a couple of weeks off at the end and then do the Classic version. I hope everyone else is sticking with their goals. :)

MarkC
01-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Do some of you work for companies that offer incentives for healthy living? Our company has two programs-- one for walking/running that rewards us with Visa gift cards. The higher the total for the year, the more you aquire. You can max out at $350 for 5,000,000 steps for the year. It can be done-- I'm 51 and did it last year but I walked a lot. On top of that there is a wellness program just started. You can piggy bank the walking and fitness by getting a wellness check, flu shot, dental checkup, colonoscopy, obgyn visit, etc. and earn up to another $350. A $700 motivation to stay healthy is definitely worth it and I'm motivated to do it. I would encourage you to talk to your employers and see if they have anything or can start it. Best of luck.

garymacd
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Well I ended the year strong. I'm in phase 3 of P90X and I'm so excited to see my progress. I may take a couple of weeks off at the end and then do the Classic version. I hope everyone else is sticking with their goals. :)

Good idea, Genna. Don't go bingeing on donuts for those few weeks.

I hope you are as happy with your results as I was with mine.

For those couple of weeks rest you envision, try taking it easy with the Yoga (yeah, right, I stlll stink at yoga and it's still hard), Core and Stretch programs. Also, instead of the cardio programs, do something different. It doesn't have to be really stressful; just go for long walks, maybe cross-country skiing or cycling. Whatever the weather in your area will support. I saw some kid riding his bike a couple of days ago through a blizzard - without his hands on the handlebar!

It will be a change for your body and confuse it a bit. Then getting back on P90X Classic routine will feel like something new and start the confusion even more - with better results.

magicofdisney
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Do some of you work for companies that offer incentives for healthy living? Our company has two programs-- one for walking/running that rewards us with Visa gift cards. The higher the total for the year, the more you aquire. You can max out at $350 for 5,000,000 steps for the year. It can be done-- I'm 51 and did it last year but I walked a lot. On top of that there is a wellness program just started. You can piggy bank the walking and fitness by getting a wellness check, flu shot, dental checkup, colonoscopy, obgyn visit, etc. and earn up to another $350. A $700 motivation to stay healthy is definitely worth it and I'm motivated to do it. I would encourage you to talk to your employers and see if they have anything or can start it. Best of luck.

I'm a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom. There are little to no financial incentives at my "work place". ;) However, I'm motivated to stay healthy and set an example for my children.

I think it's fabulous when employers create incentives for their people to stay or become healthy. My dad and brother work on a college campus. The University recently declared a smoke-free campus. My dad and brother are heavy smokers but the University is offering a cessation program for all employees. Because of this, they're well on their way to smoke-free living and healthier lives. I really hope they can stick with it.

Good idea, Genna. Don't go bingeing on donuts for those few weeks.
Why, that never crossed my mind... :whistle:

I hope you are as happy with your results as I was with mine.

For those couple of weeks rest you envision, try taking it easy with the Yoga (yeah, right, I stlll stink at yoga and it's still hard), Core and Stretch programs. Also, instead of the cardio programs, do something different. It doesn't have to be really stressful; just go for long walks, maybe cross-country skiing or cycling. Whatever the weather in your area will support. I saw some kid riding his bike a couple of days ago through a blizzard - without his hands on the handlebar!

It will be a change for your body and confuse it a bit. Then getting back on P90X Classic routine will feel like something new and start the confusion even more - with better results.
Yeah, you would have to include my 2 least favorite routines in that recommendation. ;) I'm still trying to wrap my head around 2 days of yoga in a "recovery" week. Nonetheless, I know I can complete the yoga workout if I can just make it through that first 45 minutes. After that, it's all down hill. I even did the wheel for 10 seconds (:blush:) last week. Thanks for the tips. :)

garymacd
01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah, you would have to include my 2 least favorite routines in that recommendation. ;) I'm still trying to wrap my head around 2 days of yoga in a "recovery" week. Nonetheless, I know I can complete the yoga workout if I can just make it through that first 45 minutes. After that, it's all down hill. I even did the wheel for 10 seconds (:blush:) last week. Thanks for the tips. :)

I can't do wheel. (Sorry. I currently struggle with wheel) I think that if I ever got up into that position, I would never be able to get back out of it without help or hurting myself. I did get into camel for about 10 seconds once.....ONCE! And reaching under my leg and around my back and grabbing my wrists? Forget it. I usually end up with a towel or tube tape and grab that and slowly try to touch my fingertips. I did that once, too.

magicofdisney
01-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I can't do wheel. (Sorry. I currently struggle with wheel) I think that if I ever got up into that position, I would never be able to get back out of it without help or hurting myself. I did get into camel for about 10 seconds once.....ONCE! And reaching under my leg and around my back and grabbing my wrists? Forget it. I usually end up with a towel or tube tape and grab that and slowly try to touch my fingertips. I did that once, too.

I can't stop laughing. I'm glad I have P90X to enjoy in the privacy of my home. I'm afraid that if I ever attempted to do it with someone, we'd be laughing at each other too much to finish the workout.

What about crane? Can you do that one. I've tried it a couple of times but haven't come close to accomplishing that pose. In fact, I'm now an expert at child pose, because of crane.

Melanie
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys!

Just realized a new thread needs to be started for 2011, so I'm going to close this one up and one of you regulars can get the new one started.

Thanks! :thumbsup: