PDA

View Full Version : Family Christmas Vacation 12/3-12/12

wolfhog
01-01-2010, 03:24 AM
First Happy New Year to all!
Cast of characters - 5 of us - my sister, my niece & her 2 children (girl 9 & boy 1&1/2) & me. The beginning was perfect - in another forum I mentioned how for the 9 yr old it was a surprise & the look on her face when she found out was priceless. Arrived late on Thurs the 3rd & basically just got the rooms (2 at CBR) plus dinner at the food court. Friday it rained so we went to EPCOT since we thought more indoor activities there (plus had an ADR at Le Cellier). You know how it can be, rain dampened but didn't destroy the feeling of the 1st day. About 4am that night my sister is pounding on the connecting door & tells me my niece is in tremendous pain. I tell her to call the front desk & within minutes EMT's plus security arrive (luckily kids never woke up). I go with my niece to Celebration Hospital where it is determined she has appendicitis & is scheduled for emergency surgery for later that day. (Since my niece lives with my sister I figured kids wouldn't be as troubled with Grandma only around) So all day Sat my niece & I are in the hosp while my sister goes with the kids to MK. Now must say that the hosp was great & probably the cleanest I've ever been in plus in this situation Disney paid for my taxi ride back to CBR. Surgery went well so my niece was released late Sunday but couldn't do much so we had to rent wheelchairs for the remainder of the trip (plus a car so we could avoid the buses & her being jostled). So overall while it wasn't quite the trip I had envisioned & we didn't get to see all we had hoped to just being there still gave us the Disney magic (Osborne family lights were great) that keeps us going back.

wdw_bound
01-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Wow - what a nightmare. Glad your neice is doing well, and that the kids managed to enjoy Disney. It's great you were still able to find that Disney magic in these trying circumstances!

sgdisney
01-01-2010, 09:41 AM
My goodness, that's a trip you will never forget! I'm glad your niece got the medical attention she needed so promptly and that you still found the Disney Magic!

faline
01-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh, goodness! Certainly not the best introduction to Disney World! Sounds like your niece needs a do-over trip!

We were there at that same time. We arrived late on Friday night the 4th and it was still pouring when we checked into Aninmal Kingdom Lodge.

Despite the issues, I hope you niece still has some fond memories (and not just the yucky ones) of this trip!

vizsla
01-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the report.

KylesMom
01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I bet this is a vacation no one in the family will forget, eh? I'm sure glad to hear your niece is ok - but I can imagine how distraught everyone must have been! I guess you guys need to plan a "re-do", trip, huh?! :D Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry things didn't quite happen the way you had envisioned.

wolfhog
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the concern. My niece is doing well.
Actually the trip wasn't really that bad, we're a very flexible family. My motto is "Life Happens" and I adjust to the conditions thrown at me. (Takes a lot to get me angry or upset) Everyone picked up on this so it went as smoothly as possible. However you are correct in saying we need a "do over" and I'm hoping to plan something for later this year.

wildernesslady
01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Sounds like you all made the best of the situation. What a great positive attitude. You definitely deserve a do over minus the hospital visit. Happy New Year.

pdrlkr
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow! At least she is OK. Sounds like a good excuse to go again soon. :blush:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2010, 04:19 PM
That's sad for your niece...good attitude on your part...hope you all get your redo:thumbsup: