PDA

View Full Version : Chef Mickey's

Ms. Mode
12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Everyone!

We leave tomorrow and I have been reading some reviews about Chef Mickey's that are making me nervous.

Our first ADR is for CM on Sunday evening! Can any of you tell me (really) if children throw the food around the buffet? And about the food; is it any good?

Please...should I cancel this at the last minute and do something else?

Thanks...and Happy New Year :mickey:

DVC2004
12-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't know about kids throwing food but there are kids up out of thier seats alot. It's not my cup of tea, but there are alot of people here who like it. I say if you want to do it you should-there is lots of character interaction. Just be prepared that it gets loud. Knowing these things beforehand may not make it a big deal when you are there.

In regards to food we haven't had dinner there but I know whatever the meal there is a variety of things to choose from. Our breakfast was good, not real memorable but good.

pox24
12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't cancel. Its great fun and the food is good.:thumbsup:

Disney4us2
12-31-2009, 01:02 PM
DD and I have been there twice. Loved it both times. Never saw children throwing food... maybe a tantrum;) Maybe others have observed that but I haven't.

Both times the food was good, tasty. Loved the dessert buffet. We were there more for the character interaction. It sure is not signature dining, but good non the less. We will be going back there on our next trip to WDW.

Have a great trip and Happy New Year:mickey:

mdhiggin
12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Chef Mickey's is nothing to be afraid of. We've been three times, and I've yet to see any food throwing. They have a buffet full of food that kids are sure to love, not to mention the dessert bar. Definitely mac and cheese. It is definitely family friendly and don't forget to twirl your napkin with the characters as they go around. Sure it's not a 5-star restaurant, but the food is good and plentiful.

wdwfansince75
12-31-2009, 01:35 PM
And one more endorsement of Chef Mickey's. We have always enjoyed the characters. The food is better (IMHO) than Old Country Buffet or Golden Corral or Morrison's....Always something for every one in our clan...and we have some picky eaters! (The pickiest is now an Army Ranger....he eats anything now!)
We have started to do CM's on our first evening, and then hop the Monorail for MK....great way to start a trip!

disneyboundagain
12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
We just ate there last week. DW insists on it every time we go. As others have stated, we have never saw anyone throw food, the food it decent, and you will have a few minutes with each character. If I had to add one thing, however, it would be to be prepared for the bill, the sticker shock can be overwhelming. For myself, DW, DD6, and DS3, is was somewhere around $120 FOR BREAKFAST!

GoofyforFun
12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
I would keep it and enjoy the fun filled character atmosphere. It is always a good time.

gerald72
12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Keep it. It's fun. There could be rowdy kids anywhere- it's Wdw.

BigThunderFan
12-31-2009, 03:39 PM
We really enjoyed CM last time and have it planned for our next trip in January. Of course we only had breakfast which is tough to screw up, but we loved the food. Characters were great and we didn't see any problems with other kids. I think it is just like anything in life, it all depends on timing. When we were there it was great, but maybe 30 minutes later the bad crew of kids came in...?

I say go for it and make your own decision!:thumbsup:

mom2morgan
12-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Twice is enough for me, but definitely go at least once! The food is decent - not spectacular , but perfectly acceptable - and I've never personally witnessed children doing anything untoward. That's all parenting and is as likely to happen in one location as another. That said, I've actually never seen children anywhere in Disney running amok...so the vast majority of parents must be doing a good job! Characters are great, and my daughter LOVES the sundae bar!

KylesMom
12-31-2009, 08:27 PM
We've been going to Chef Mickey's for ten years straight (on the recomendation of INTERCOT members way back when), and we've never seen children throwing the food around the buffet. As for if it's any good, we wouldn't spend that kind of cash on a repeat basis if it wasn't. It's on our must-do list each year. No way I'd cancel this at the last minute.

Remember that each person is going to form their own opinions based on their own experiences. Unfortunately for every good review of Disney restaurants, you will get a few bad ones, no matter what the restaurant is. Go, enjoy, dance, wave your napkin and give Mickey & Minnie a big hug when you get there! :mickey:

Kathy Jetson
12-31-2009, 11:07 PM
We have been the last 2 years for breakfast and had no problems. We might do a different character meal next year just to see something different.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
01-01-2010, 11:37 AM
...I have never seen kids throwing food, however like mentioned there are A LOT of kids, which is truly fun. I mean, isn't that what Disney is for having fun and taking the kids ??

I will say that I didn't like CM as much as I did before the expansion, it's still good, but not as much so.....

Keep it, you'll have fun !!! :cool:

PrincessAriel514
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't know about kids throwing food but there are kids up out of thier seats alot. It's not my cup of tea, but there are alot of people here who like it. I say if you want to do it you should-there is lots of character interaction. Just be prepared that it gets loud. Knowing these things beforehand may not make it a big deal when you are there.

In regards to food we haven't had dinner there but I know whatever the meal there is a variety of things to choose from. Our breakfast was good, not real memorable but good.

I say the same my family LOVES it. Like all resturants it does get loud.( be prepared!!) I don t think you should cancel. A lot of food to choose from. REALLY GOOD TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck.....:mickey:

PrincessAriel514
01-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I have been there for dinner

luvdiznee
01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Everyone!

We leave tomorrow and I have been reading some reviews about Chef Mickey's that are making me nervous.

Our first ADR is for CM on Sunday evening! Can any of you tell me (really) if children throw the food around the buffet? And about the food; is it any good?

Please...should I cancel this at the last minute and do something else?

Thanks...and Happy New Year :mickey:

The food was good, the few times we went there. As far as children throwing food around the buffet, that would be something not allowed of course. They would only act this way if parents are letting them. :thedolls:If I saw it happening, I would say something. :cool:

Belster
01-02-2010, 11:32 AM
LOVE CM for dinner. I am not familliar with kids throwing food around at all but it is loucd there. We love it for the character interaction and just a place where I don't have to keep telling my kids to be quite...lol. :mickey:

wdwnutz
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
We go to CM every time we visit WDW, it is one our family favs. The interaction with the characters is great and the food is pretty good especially the desserts.

kakn7294
01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Chef Mickey's is full of kids, noisy, lots of fun, and the food is good. We've been twice for breakfast and once for dinner and I've never seen kids throwing food. I'd definately keep it!

HoosierDisneyFan
01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I would say keep the reservation...

From my opinion Chef Mickey is great for character interation. Prefect for Elementary age kids. Actually my son is 13 and he said that he wanted to go back again ths year.

If you are looking for 4 star food or a quite meal with the spouse this is not it. It can get quite loud (everyone gets excited seeing Mickey!). The foods is standard buffet fare. The desert bar is really very good!

You may love it or find it is not you "cup of tea" but you should experience it.

Schmiv
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I know you are already at the Happiest Place on Earth :mickey: but I wanted to give you my take just the same.

We went 3 years back with DS' 5 & 3 and we were not very happy with Chef Mickey. Chef Mickey only came out once and we actually had to wait over an hour for him. The other characters came out at least 2 times b4 Mickey made his entrace. The food was OK but nothing to go crazy about. If you are going for character interaction with Mickey you may be disappointed. Sorry.:(

snowflakegirl
01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I've done CM many times. It's one of my favorite ways to start the trip, have dinner at CM and hop the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom afterwards. It does get loud, but the character interaction is great (even if you're a table of adults like I've been the past few times), and I LOVE their mashed potatoes. Otherwise, standard buffet food, not 5 star, but certainly pretty good.