PDA

View Full Version : Shopping For A New Computer

Goofy4TheWorld
12-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Old Bess my 9 year old laptop has slipped into a light coma. She has had two hip replacements, a knee replacement, a tummy tuck and all the Botox allowed by law, but I am afraid her time is coming to an end.

I have been a loyal (and happy) Dell user for some time now, but I wanted to buy in-person instead of online because Dell's ship date was the 19th of January. I found what I wanted at Best Buy, but when I went into the store to check it out, I saw something that I had never seen and now I am having doubts about what I really want.

Best Buy had these "all-in-one" computers where the monitor contained the whole computer, and both models were also touch screens. I was intrigued, but wanted to get some feedback. There were two HP models and two Gateway models, two brands that 10 years ago I swore off as never-again computers. But time heals all wounds and now I am considering them because 1) they are about half the cost of the Dell (but only about 3/4 of the memory/hard drive/processor) and 2) I really like this all-in-one idea. After having a laptop all these years, I like having everything on top of the desk.

Does anyone have experience with the all-in-ones and/or touch screens? I am afraid they may fail easier, and because they are so compact, may be impossible to repair cheaply or impossible to upgrade (ie add a BluRay player later on). Also, any pros or cons to HP versus Gateway?

I would love anyone's feedback on your experiences.

Dznygrl79
12-31-2009, 06:19 AM
With touch screens the only experiance I have is my iphone! I was going to add that Mac's imac has been all inclusive (HD in in monitor) for years not a neww technology just new to pc, I would reccommend checking out JD Power and Consumer Reports on both of those brands, as you can guess I am a Mac gal I have even worked for them before (loved it) however whenever any new company comes out with technology new to them it is bound to have a few hiccups. As far as pcs go at work I have worked on a dell and for a pc they do last a longer time on average with good manitanence. In this case it may be best to go with the evil you know.

DizneyRox
12-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Quite honestly, I would steer very far away from Best Buy, regardless of what you buy. What you are looking for is really a commodity and the price really is the only difference when looking at like brands.

I've actually been pretty happy with Dell, although I'm my own tech support.

HP has made strides in the past couple of years I think, Gateway, eh, I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy one.

Don't get hung up on specs really, buy what you need. Like most people don't use their entire brain, most people don't push a computer very hard either. The Internet on a quad core 3gig processor is the same as on an old single core pentium processor. Things like serious video editing (not us the occasional web clip for Grandma) serious graphic design work (not red eye reduction) etc warrant those top of the line PCs they advertise so much. Most of us would probably benefit from a reformat of the hard drive and reinstall of the operating system originally shipped with the computer.

Santuitman
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
I can't comment one the brands you are looking at but we have a couple of the iMacs here at work. For me, when there is a problem with them, it is extra stressfull as there is no way for us to repair it ourselves. Just my 2 cents!

Goofy4TheWorld
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Well, I went with the devil I know and bought a standard desktop from Dell (well, bought a Dell from Bestbuy.)

So far I love most things about the computer (especially the speed) except for all of the customizing and tweaking that I have had to do do make Windows 7 function more like Windows XP :old: Seriously, the inability to have a quick launch toolbar next to the start menu was a near-deal-breaker for me. I finally found how to tweak one on there, so things are much better now.

One other thing is the heat! I love a nice and toasty room, but the heat this thing is putting out is ridiculous. I am having to put the computer to sleep every time I leave it or the room gets way too hot.

As always, thanks to everyone for the advise.

Genie1953
01-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I am a Dell user for a number of years. I bought my desktop from Dell but when I got ready to by my laptop (also a Dell) I checked the Dell website but found a much better deal on the same laptop at Best Buy. My desktop has an extended service plan with Dell and fortunately I have not had to send my computer in for any repairs yet...and hope never to. When I got my Dell laptop a couple of years ago I purchased the extended service plan through Best Buy (Geek Squad). Just recently I have developed a slight problem with it. I contacted our local Best Buy Geek Squad and was told I just have to drop it by to them and they will give it a going over (checkup) to see what is wrong....said that I should be able to get it back that day and no later than 48 hours usually. That is definitely another up side to Best Buy...not having to mail your laptop in for repairs. I am definitely sold on Dells.....that is what we have used for years at work.....I work 8-9 hours 5 days per week and more sometimes for the past 6 years and have never had a problem with mine.