PDA

View Full Version : Magical Journey's or AAA

Schmiv
12-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Our last trip to Disney was booked through MJ and it was a dream. Just knowing that they apply the discounts as they become available is great. :thumbsup: But we also have AAA and in my research I have Found that right off the bat AAA is $200 - $400 cheaper than MJ even before the discounts come into play.

I've been told that AAA applies the discounts as they become avaiable just as MJ does. Need some feeback from anyone who has had the AAA experience. :blush:

faline
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know about your AAA office, but my experience is with them is that once they've booked your trip, they're all done with you until they deliver your travel documents to you. Magical Journeys is pretty unique in tracking your reservation and making sure that all future discounts get applied to you.

Earlier this year, we went on a non-Disney trip and used another travel agent. I found myself calling them a number of times over the course of my planning to prompt them to rebook me as better resort rates came up - however; I was the one doing the tracking and checking!

ibrowse17
12-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I use MJ, and they apply my AAA discount. To me, they are more Disney friendly and I like the quick answers I get from MJ.:thumbsup:

Schmiv
12-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I use MJ, and they apply my AAA discount. To me, they are more Disney friendly and I like the quick answers I get from MJ.:thumbsup:

Totally did not think about doing that. I'll have MJ apply my AAA discount and then leave the rest to them. :cloud9:

Since we are planning on going in Late Aug. 2010 I'm hoping the free dining pans out and it's so worth knowing that MJ will just grab that for us when and if it becomes available.

bcornette
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I have never used MJ but hear that they are great about tracking the discounts for you.

The main reason I still use AAA directly is for the AAA Diamond parking. I have small children, one being 18 months and needing a stroller, being able to park up close by the handicapped parking section is a must.

The other AAA only thing that I use is the StoryTime. my kids love having a princess read to them and then play a game. With a controlled low number of kids they actually get to interact a little with them, and it's inside so it's a nive cool break from the Florida heat.

If I didn't drive down or have small kids that like the StoryTime I would probably use MJ. But I am also a control freak and like to handle finding the best deal and making all of my reservations (and then changing them numerous times).

tadcd
12-31-2009, 01:39 AM
My experience:

AAA counts on you to track discounts, in my experience are difficult to reach and don't really "know" WDW.

MJ tracks for you, as others have said, applies AAA discounts when these are the best and also helps figure out what other discounts you are eligible, cross compares, etc. I have no doubt that I am getting an awesome deal, Denise kept emailing me each time she was able to knock more off the price, made suggestions that I hadn't thought of. Hurrah! MJ is so accessible, so helpful, WOW. What a huge difference. Shameless plug for Denise!

-Teresa

HJL413
12-31-2009, 01:58 AM
MJ every time. You will receive excellent treatment. The AAA discount is one of many they will consider. You can book early with the confidence to know that should better options become available they will contact you to improve your reservation. Use MJ and make the trip planning experience a breeze

kakn7294
12-31-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't know about your AAA office, but my experience is with them is that once they've booked your trip, they're all done with you until they deliver your travel documents to you. Magical Journeys is pretty unique in tracking your reservation and making sure that all future discounts get applied to you.I have to second this thought. When I last used AAA, they had things so messed up that I had to straighten them out myself. The agent was actually angry at me that I booked my own dining reservations, she had us changing resorts for the last night, she had my parents luggage being delivered to the wrong resort, and she gave the wrong info to DME AFTER I had already called and given them the correct flight info - she didn't even have my flight info as I booked those myself as well. This is the agent who is the "Disney expert" in the office - not much of an expert in my opinion. Karen at MJ was on top of all the discounts and contacted me immediately when something came up that we could apply. It was wonderful not worring about our trip, knowing it was in great hands!

Gregandmel
12-31-2009, 07:33 AM
We went to WDW last October and booked at our local AAA office. The standard 10% discount was applied to our Deluxe Accomodations at the time (room only booking). After discovering these boards, every time a discount came out and one of the MJ reps would post something, I had to call my rep at AAA and tell her about the new offering, then SHE had to call WDW to apply it for me. She never understood how I managed to "know" about these deals that were coming out. It was a hassle to call her multiple times to find out if a discount applied to our trip dates. The only thing I liked about it was the fact the AAA office was down the street so I felt like I had someone "close by" that could help. However, they DO maintain office hours, so evening or weekends were out. I booked our upcoming trip in April with Wendy at MJ and it's been smooth and totally great! She applied our AAA discount up front, but then we were lucky enough to get a PIN code which was applied instead of the AAA discount. They will find the best deal for you and the best part is, if something applies to your trip dates, you'll usually get an e-mail in the morning before you even KNEW something was in the works! They are on top of it - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them - :number1:

mickeefan
12-31-2009, 07:58 AM
Wendy at MJ usually books our rooms at the AAA rate. It never fails that before our trip comes up she is contacting us with a much better rate.
MJ really stays on top of everything.

Schmiv
12-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Well, I'm thinking that this ia no-brainer then. :judge: Decision made.

We'll book through MJ ask them to apply the AAA discount and then not worry about when/if the free DDP comes out b/c I will know that MJ will apply it if it does.

Once again, :rocks:

BigRedDad
12-31-2009, 08:53 AM
My AAA experience was horrible. They did not track discounts. They even had our reservation screwed up. Our original reservation was for CR MK view and it was on our actual reservation. When we got our package about 3 weeks before leaving, it had us with a BL view for more money. It took 2 days for the AAA agent to actually get back to us. WDW Reservations tried to help with no luck. The AAA agent did nothing for us to remedy the situation, failed to accept responsibility for their failure, and were basically useless. We wound up working directly with WDW to get something better than nothing. We settled on WL and saved about $1000.

AAA, IMO, is useless for travel. I escalated as high as I could in AAA and they could care less that they failed. I would rather pay rack rates than get the 10% AAA discount.

BigThunderFan
12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
The other AAA only thing that I use is the StoryTime. my kids love having a princess read to them and then play a game. With a controlled low number of kids they actually get to interact a little with them, and it's inside so it's a nive cool break from the Florida heat.

Where is the AAA story time? This is the first I have ever heard of it. This isn't the same as the Story Time with Belle is it? Do you just have to show your AAA card?:confused:

Tink1
12-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I believe a AAA agent told me that the 2010 contract with Disney no longer includes the Storytime with Belle feature. Check with your AAA office to be sure though.

Nanci

Kathy Jetson
12-31-2009, 11:37 PM
I used Kathy at MJ for our Oct.2009 trip she gave us our triple AAA discount. Then she ended up finding us a better discount. I canx triple AAA this year and I will be using MJ again I hope they can find us a good deal!:mickey:

KylesMom
01-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Right now (as for the past several years), MJ has booked us with a room-only AAA discount into WL. If/when a better promo comes out (A/P, Disney Visa, General Promo), Terrisue drops me a line & switches us over to the better promo. I called my local AAA office a few years ago just for yucks & was totally unimpressed with their Disney knowledge.

Since Disney's promotional offers are usually on a limited-room basis, I let MJ handle the room stuff. Let me tell you, it's made our vacation room booking painless the past five years, and I can depend upon them to provide stellar service! :mickey:

gueli
01-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Like many posters her I have used both AAA & MJ (thanks Kathy).

Like many here I tried MJ after hearing about them here. Kathy was extreamly helpful, even gave reminders. When I had a question, or even had her check the price difference on something- it was usually the next day. When she was traveling and would not be able to answer questions- she let US know.

My experience with AAA was good also. I have found based on postings that some AAA travel agents are not very good, it depends on where you are and who gets assigned to you. Sometimes it is hit or miss.
With that said AAA was good.

If I were to be handing out ratings AAA would get a 9, MJ a 10.

When I plan another trip to the world I will not hesitate to contact MJ. Based on the service that Kathy provided, and the overall response on these boards- :thumbsup:
GO Magical Journeys :number1:

Enjoy
:D

#1donaldfan
01-02-2010, 10:08 AM
....so far our AAA agent has been GREAT.....I've had to contact her very little in way of discounts and last minute "add ons"....she's now on maternity leave and I can see a BIG difference in her replacement, but she should be back soon....that being said, I'd use MJ's, if it wasn't for our great experience with our AAA agent....once she's gone, AAA is gone for us.....sorry MJ people on here, it's truly hard to get rid of something familiar....:mickey:

bcornette
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
StoryTime is still available through AAA in 2010, I have my reservations made for January 26th this year.
It is not StoryTime with Belle, it is a princess (they rotate and you will not know how it is until you arrive). They read their story and play a game with the kids. I'd say it has a maximum of about 40 people, so maybe 20 kids.
Last time it was Alice, she read her story and then her and the white rabbit played follow the leader and a simon says.
It is in a building on the right side as you are walking toward the castle on main street where the portrait studio is. It also has some cool wood cutouts to stick your head in for unique pictures.

I think it is offered 3 times per week at 3 or 4 different time slots.

bwk99
01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I've used both and won't be using AAA again..

jwb0323
01-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I can't stand AAA for travel. They are always useless for me, assume I know everything about where I want to go, and are generally rude or unknowledgeable. I haven't booked a disney vacation yet, but if I do it will be through MJ based on the feedback of this board.